The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

My first full meet a month away

I'm doing my first full power meet in a month ( it's my 3rd meet but the other two were push/pull ). I'm planning on resting the week prior to the meet, but I was wondering what other people's training is like a month out from a meet. Any information will be appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've not done a meet, but good luck, BTO, we're rooting for you.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    but good luck, BTO, we're rooting for you.
    Thanks.

My only goal is some documented PR's. I think my bench is pretty much a given, I'm benching about 40 pounds more than before my last meet ( which honestly still completely amazes me with how I'm SOOO not built to bench ). Hmm, actually I'm pulling about 70 pounds more than my last meet. And whatever I do squatting will be a meet PR, lol.

I'm not saying that this is the best.. just what I do

around 3 weeks out I hit my squat opener (although if I do a raw meet, I would do it much closer to the meet). Since its 3 weeks out I may even take my second attempt but not worry to much about depth. After this i usually hit my opening deadlift, but Ill skip this if i just did a meet recently.

about 10 days out I hit my opening bench then take my second attempt to a 2 or 3 board.

I will still squat/bench/dead up til 7 days out, but its not heavy (more like speed work, but using around 50% 1rm with no chains bands).

accessory work I stick to just a couple basic things. Last meet I did I brought up my hamstrings using pullthroughs/ghr/curls etc the last few weeks and I felt that it helped me. For bench, I usually just do some incline presses after I am done benching for 3-5 sets, maybe some pushdowns and such as well.

My first meet I hit all my openers (and even hit a big squat PR) 6 days out from the meet. Come meet day, I could not duplicate that squat PR. Dont do things too late is my advice
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Good luck BTO. I am looking forward to reading about your meet. I'm hardly experienced enough to offer any advice but I'll take a different angle. STAY HEALTHY & don't do anything different. By that I mean things like not rushing your warm ups, and be smart during your last few heavy workouts. Those two things got me in trouble back in the fall when I did my first meet in ages.

I know we have discussed "when" your last workouts should be and there were some great suggestions. I almost went bats--t crazy not being able to do anything the week before the meet but I can't deny the results. My 2nd & 3rd attempts were way more than anything I had trained with leading up to the meet (kinda of skewed because I decided to do the meet 6 weeks prior to the contest). The thing I took from that is find out what works best for you individually and I know that is something this newbie will be working on.

I did a light warm up daily (10 minutes at a very LOW intensity) and went through my stretching routine everyday to stay loose. I mainly did that because I tighten up quickly. Anyway - good luck to you bud and have a blast. You will do very well.
    Last edited by fulldaddy; 01-24-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Shut up and Lift
    I wish you the best BTO. Maybe all that skiing will give you the advantage
    \m/ d-_-b \m/

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    I'm not saying that this is the best.. just what I do

around 3 weeks out I hit my squat opener (although if I do a raw meet, I would do it much closer to the meet). Since its 3 weeks out I may even take my second attempt but not worry to much about depth. After this i usually hit my opening deadlift, but Ill skip this if i just did a meet recently.

about 10 days out I hit my opening bench then take my second attempt to a 2 or 3 board.

I will still squat/bench/dead up til 7 days out, but its not heavy (more like speed work, but using around 50% 1rm with no chains bands).

accessory work I stick to just a couple basic things. Last meet I did I brought up my hamstrings using pullthroughs/ghr/curls etc the last few weeks and I felt that it helped me. For bench, I usually just do some incline presses after I am done benching for 3-5 sets, maybe some pushdowns and such as well.

My first meet I hit all my openers (and even hit a big squat PR) 6 days out from the meet. Come meet day, I could not duplicate that squat PR. Dont do things too late is my advice
    Im there with SELK my only diference is that I used to hit my opener about 14 days out and like 75% to 80% of my 3 on the same day 6-7 days out... Good luck, at 6'8" I bet that Bench will travel more that most people's Squat! LOL
    Last edited by evilxxx; 01-24-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Im a noob myself only one bench only for me so far, good luck bro
    Excuses or results you cant have both.

Training Journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=120147

Vidshttp://www.youtube.com/user/gonzawr

abebesheir
    I am not a great lifter but I have done seven meets in the past 3 years.
    Here is how I would stagger it:

Examples
    1/31 competition
    1/26 bench opener
    1/24 squat opener
    1/22 last heavy bench
    1/17 deadlift opener, last heavy squat
    1/10 last heavy deadlift
    5'5 207
    35 years old
    405-315-460=1180
    Feds lifted in: ADAU, APA, NOVA, 100% Raw, USAPL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xcornontherobx View Post
    Maybe all that skiing will give you the advantage
    Unfortunately it doesn't. Its going to be hard, but I'm going to have to limit my skiing before the meet.

I train heavy up to two weeks out. The week before the meet I take light. The week of the meet like on a Wednesday I do a bunch of bs for my whole body just to get the blood flowing. I'll do pulldowns, curls, squats (no weight and bar), pushdowns, band pull aparts. Just keep moving and you'll feel good.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    I'm going to have to limit my skiing before the meet.
    If you head down to Arizona early enough that should take care of itself .
    The nice thing about just starting out, you are sure to set at least some PR's, probably on your opening lifts if the way you have been lifting in training is any indication. I will probably say it again later, but good luck.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mike95763 View Post
    If you head down to Arizona early enough that should take care of itself .
    The meet's the first day we get there, that way my wife will have a week of vacation without me thinking about powerlifting. LOL. I'm probably not going to ski for two weeks before the meet. Hopefully Snowbird just doesn't get any new powder during that time, then it'll be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mike95763 View Post
    The nice thing about just starting out, you are sure to set at least some PR's, probably on your opening lifts if the way you have been lifting in training is any indication.
    I hope so. The last week or so my training hasn't gone that great. Skiing has hurt my squats ( but I can't complain about that ). My body on Saturday was asking to deload, which is somewhat discouraging realizing my brain doesn't always control things. Squatting went well today though, my chiro visit last week really straightened my hips out, it felt so much better than last time I squatted.

I will probably say it again later, but good luck.
    Thanks. Hopefully I'll do well enough that I feel like posting the videos here.