Thread: Squats & Hip Joint Pain; should I stop?

Squats & Hip Joint Pain; should I stop?

Hey All,

I've been squatting for years and now all of a sudden my right hip is hurting after squat workouts and all day the next day. Wondering if it's smart to keep squatting or if I might be doing some serious damage. (Although I can't image stopping squatting.) But then again, I don't want to have to have a hip replacement at age 43!

Anyhow, sometimes if I fall asleep on a hard surface, say, the floor in on my right side, the same thing happens.... serious pain at the joint.

I know, I know... I should go to the doc. But just want to know from you guys if you've ever encountered this.

Also, what the heck does "ME" mean? It's used in a lot of these threads.

Thanks much.

-chimp

Banned
    ME = max effort

Do you train for BB'ing or PL'ing? What style of squat do you use? Briefs help to some extent to protect the hips. Answer those questions and we'll be able to help you more. Does the pain radiate down the leg or not?

I squat for BB'ing. No, it's mostly contained to the hip joint. I just do regular squats, I guess. Bar on the back, feet shoulder width apart, no box, go down to about parallel and come back up. It's just weird because this never happened before. Wondering if I need to take some vitamins or supplements or something for the joints, now that I'm getting to be an old man (41 y/o) who's throwin' around heavy weight.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Fish oil can help with your joints... but I'm not sure it would be some miracle cure for pain. Then again, you never know...

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    How about you take a video of you squating so we can figure out if your form is a problem?

Banned
    I know not everybody is a believer in chiropractic, but i've found when I'm not in alignment, squatting heavy can really hurt my hips. Usually after a trip to the chiropractor, the pain is all but gone. ( Please stop saying 41 is old, lol )

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    I know not everybody is a believer in chiropractic, but i've found when I'm not in alignment, squatting heavy can really hurt my hips. Usually after a trip to the chiropractor, the pain is all but gone. ( Please stop saying 41 is old, lol )
    I would agree with chiro work.

Also, it could be that you've got some muscle tightness pulling your hips out of alignment. Do you stretch?

Thanks everybody. I'll see if I can get a vid at some point. Seriously, just a joke about the age. I'll be liftin' when I'm 70 if I live that long. I'll probably head in to the doc at some point. Usually, I give myself a good little while before I know if it's a real problem or not. Hopefully, it will go away.

Thanks for the advice.

-chimp

Squatting too wide can cause hip problems. Are you trying to emulate the ultra-wide squats you see geared powerlifters doing? Without the supportive gear?
    Last edited by OGROK; 01-23-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Chimp,

I read this recently. Dunno if its any help. Maybe some decent reading around it.

http://members.boardhost.com/powerfo...228431610.html
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw