The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What do you guys think of kettlebells?

I'm putting this in the powerlifting section because i'm interested in what powerlifters have to say about it.

I just got done reading this article on t-nation and its got me intrigued (I don't like to admit it, but I read articles there once and awhile). What is your experience with kettlebells? I know Sensei is real big on them. I would love to try them out but I feel like they would slow down my progress on my other lifts and leave me too sore to lift for the first few weeks.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    I like to do swings with them every now and then, similar to a pull through/reverse reverse hyper IMO

Banned
    they're good for expensive pull thru's and expensive one arm DB Presses...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WillNoble View Post
    they're good for expensive pull thru's and expensive one arm DB Presses...
    and expensive band anchors!

overrated

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Banned
    Another tool - I have used them for extra workouts in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    overrated
    The lesser kind of WBB would like an explanation .

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    The lesser kind of WBB would like an explanation .
    You can do a lot of the same stuff with equipment you already have available.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    I'm really enjoying doing kettlebells because it can help improve your GPP. It's too cold to do sled dragging, so I use the kettlebells instead.
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

Banned
    My gym's just got some kettlebells. Had a mess around with them after a presentation today. They're good fun, and surprisingly difficult. I'm currently trying to improve my conditioning while I take a slight break from heavier weights so they look like a good opportunity. If your goal was absolute strength though, I'm not sure how much direct value they'd have except as a bit of variety every now and then.

If your gym has em' that's great. Use them. We have them at Westside and I've used them for lots of different stuff. Swings, extensions, they are better for chaos bench than plates and other things

Most assuredly not a necessity though. I don't ever plan on buying them for my home set up

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by NASAKYCHAIRMAN View Post
    I'm really enjoying doing kettlebells because it can help improve your GPP. It's too cold to do sled dragging, so I use the kettlebells instead.
    Too cold? Oh, I got it, with the wind chill, it dropped to about 81 yesterday.

Not to hijack the post, but I'm thinking about doing some sled dragging around my neighborhood. Any ideas on making a sled?
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Too cold? Oh, I got it, with the wind chill, it dropped to about 81 yesterday.

Not to hijack the post, but I'm thinking about doing some sled dragging around my neighborhood. Any ideas on making a sled?
    Old tire with an eye bolt in it. Bingo.

check out lonesxedge log. he made a sled a while back and posted pics. Unlike him, make sure you wear welding goggles if you do any welding on the thing. haha
    "It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    You can do a lot of the same stuff with equipment you already have available.
    That's exactly what I think. Here's a quick story. I was going to buy a prowler a few months ago. Then I started thinking, is it really going to do that much more for me than the sled? I have sandbags, tricep bars I use for farmers, a light stone, a medicine ball, bands, chains, even kettlebell handles. Do I really need something else. NO!

Just do gpp and extra workouts with what you have and you will make great progress. If you want to throw some extra cash around then do so. JMHO.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Wannabebig Member
    I just bought a 20kg bell and have only done 2 sessions with it, 3ed tonight, but so far I really like it. I bought purely as a conditioning tool, still train Mon, Wed, Fri as normal, but am adding kettlebell work (plus abs and bicep) on Thur and Sat. 10 minutes of it worked the hell out of me. I like the 1 and 2 hand swing and recon it should carry over well to lifting.

I certainly wouldn't joing the kettlebell cult, and it will not replace my normal powerlifting training, but I do think its a good tool to have and adds some variety to your training.

kettlebells are good for swings over the heads etc.. if do end up getting them dont get the dragon door brand there way over priced i have a set made by appolo that i got at play it again sports for a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Old tire with an eye bolt in it. Bingo.
    BOOSH! a truck tie down strap also comes in handy.
    Roll Tide.

Wannabebig Member
    great for exts

Wannabebig Member
    I think they are great. We had them for about 6 months, found out we were doing them wrong then decided to fly Donnie Thompson in for a seminar. Best thing we could have done. I think they are a great way to add muscle and get some extra GPP in. You can do all sorts of things with them. I guess I am alone when in thinking they are way different then DB's. A lot harder.

JJ Thomas/Detroit Barbell

if all you are going to do is swing them go to lowes and buy the stuff to make the following, its what I did. I use it to warmup for snatches and cleans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4WQR...e=channel_page
    Last edited by Jeff Roark; 01-22-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas View Post
    I think they are great. We had them for about 6 months, found out we were doing them wrong then decided to fly Donnie Thompson in for a seminar. Best thing we could have done. I think they are a great way to add muscle and get some extra GPP in. You can do all sorts of things with them. I guess I am alone when in thinking they are way different then DB's. A lot harder.

JJ Thomas/Detroit Barbell
    I agree 100% JJ. I know the OP is clear on my opinion, but I hope no one minds me sharing....

Kettlebells simply lend themselves better to certain exercises than barbells or dumbells. For the same reasons most of us would load up a barbell to do heavy squats instead of working our way down the dumbell rack, a kettlebell is just better for exercises like one-arm snatches and swings.
    Can you do those things with a barbell or dumbbell? Sure, but once you've mastered doing them with a kettlebell, I don't see anyone bothering w. barbell or dumbbell versions again unless they are just trying to challenge themselves.

You don't have to join the kettlebell cult to acknowledge that they are a valid tool. Are they a little pricey? Yeah. Are they an absolute necessity for powerlifters, bodybuilders, or olympic lifters? Hell no, but then again neither are dumbbells...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/