The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Want to start lifting. Where Do I start?

You guys probably get loads of these threads. But i'm interested in getting into lifting. Not for body building or anything. I'm 19.. Ran cross country in high school. [ran almost every day] And really am looking to get back into it.. To basically get body tone and healthy.(Eating Cheesesteaks and soda on a daily basis for the last year probably hasn't helped) I haven't done **** but lay around for 2 years and i'm pretty sick of it. I'm down with starting slow, joining a gym, taking supplements recommended to me, or not taking supplements, exercising daily, not giving up. I'm about 150 pounds. I've probably never lifted weights consistently in my life. So what books, tips, videos, references, or instructions can you guys give me to get started? Where should I start? How much time? How often? etc.
    Last edited by indigo; 01-24-2009 at 08:24 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Rippetoes!! and cardio + protine will do U very good.
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Rippetoes is a workout plan im guessing?

Wannabebig Member
    If your just looking for body tone, try jazzercise.
    6'6"
    249lbs

1/19/09- First workout in two years!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beefspoon View Post
    jazzercise.

at 150lbs, i'd recomend you start trying to gain some size, even if your goal is to lean out. your progress will be very slow if you try to cut weight with such little muscle.

ripptoes or madcows 5x5
    supplements if you have the cash - protein powder. not as important as diet and training, by a long shot.

Wannabebig Member
    okay, but what do i eat? and where do i start as far as work outs go?

Quote Originally Posted by indigo View Post
    okay, but what do i eat? and where do i start as far as work outs go?
    check this out. it might make it easier for you.... you need Microsoft excel in order to view the file though.
    Attached Files Attached Files

just do SS, and then work out how many calories you eat a week by counting. IF from that amount you are gaining weight, keep eating the same, if you are maintaining weight, add 500kcal per day, if you are losing weight, add even more. things should all start to fit themselves together, you've just gotta start lifting... thats what i didn't do for ages, and i've only just started, whereas i could have started ages ago...
    from mini to mighty... (hopefully), training for athleticism, muscle and confidence.
    Bench: 125 x 1; Squat: 160 x 1; Deadlift: 210 x 1; Total: 495.

i forgot to add, if you find it fairly easy gaining weight, try a 25/25/50 split of food (25% of your calories from protein, 25% from fat, 50% from carbs, but if you have a hard time gaining, try a 30/30/40 split... it seems to work for a lot of people
    from mini to mighty... (hopefully), training for athleticism, muscle and confidence.

Wannabebig Member
    gamodye, I am actually the exact opposite on the diet thing you posted, I don't know If I'm the exception or what, but i have a pretty hard time gaining (need 4000-4500 calories at 160 lbs) but I find if I upping my carbs a huge help for putting on some extra size for those with fast metabolisms, I guess everyones bodies handle carbs differently though

Wannabebig Member
    Question: What is the "Press" in the SS routine?
    Also, I've been working out 3 to 4 times a week since November, I'm still a noob so would this routine help me out? Or is it just used for the first month to gain a bit of size, because so far i've seen decent results.
    Last edited by gOt2be; 01-25-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gOt2be View Post
    Question: What is the "Press" in the SS routine?
    Also, I've been working out 3 to 4 times a week since November, I'm still a noob so would this routine help me out? Or is it just used for the first month to gain a bit of size, because so far i've seen decent results.
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#

Take some time and read this, you will be glad..

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#

Take some time and read this, you will be glad..
    Holy Balls, Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by supersets View Post
    gamodye, I am actually the exact opposite on the diet thing you posted, I don't know If I'm the exception or what, but i have a pretty hard time gaining
    ahh i admit defeat... lol, but i think this method works for some people, i guess that its true, every body is different, and thus needs a different way to train, only a certain amount can be done on paper...

Starting Strength is decent but there are more effective ways for a beginner interested in building muscle to train. SS lacks upper back work as well as tricep/bicep accessory work, which is important for these interested in bodybuilding. Also the low-bar squat form advocated is definitely not optimal for bodybuilding purposes. You want to be more upright. Also problematic is Rippetoe's hostile attitude towards bodybuilding goals.
    Last edited by OGROK; 01-27-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    Starting Strength is decent but there are more effective ways for a beginner interested in building muscle to train. SS lacks upper back work as well as tricep/bicep accessory work, which is important for these interested in bodybuilding. Also the low-bar squat form advocated is definitely not optimal for bodybuilding purposes. You want to be more upright. Also problematic is Rippetoe's hostile attitude towards bodybuilding goals.
    Except that none of that **** is important until yo'uve built a decent, muscular foundation. No 160 lb kid is a "bodybuilder."

Didn't you do SS?? I know you always bash it. Anyway, I gained a 1/2 inch to my arms using SS with Dips and Chin Ups in a few weeks.

SS lacks upper back work
    Upper back work? what about pull ups and deads? I've built a great upper back on these two.
    SS lacks... tricep/bicep accessory work, which is important for these interested in bodybuilding.
    Dude, this kid doesn't need tricep and bicep accessory work. He's been running cross country all his life. Once he's benching, squatting, and deadlifting some good numbers then he'll be for more serious accessory work.

Also the low-bar squat form advocated is definitely not optimal for bodybuilding purposes. You want to be more upright.
    You're arguing a minute point here. The kid isn't even squatting yet, and now you're detailing what sort of squats will be best?? Once he's repping his weight with good form, or maxing 2x his weight and put on 20 or 30 lbs of muscle, then its time to think about what sort of squats are best for whatever his weaknesses are. Who the hell cares whats sort of squats he uses to get there with??

Read the title of Rippetoe's book again. Starting Strength. Its designed for beginners, this means people who probably haven't benched or squatted with good form in their life. Its meant to build a good foundation which can then be specialized, whether it be sports training, bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc.

Here's my advice kid. Go out and buy the book and read the whole thing. The wiki on SS and forums like this are great, but they're not a substitute. SS is worth your 20 or 30 bucks.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

by the way, to the OP - what exactly are your goals?? Do you just want to get in shape, put on some serious muscle, or just get stronger? Its good have these clearly outlined before you begin a program.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    Upper back work? what about pull ups and deads? I've built a great upper back on these two.

Dude, this kid doesn't need tricep and bicep accessory work. He's been running cross country all his life. Once he's benching, squatting, and deadlifting some good numbers then he'll be for more serious accessory work.
    Everyone needs accessory work. I don't care if you just started training, a couple set of skullcrushers at the end of your workout is only going to help your bench press. A couple sets of bicep curls is going to help prevent tears while deadlifting and rowing. You don't need to be 250lbs of pure muscle to benefit from isolation work.

You're arguing a minute point here. The kid isn't even squatting yet, and now you're detailing what sort of squats will be best?? Once he's repping his weight with good form, or maxing 2x his weight and put on 20 or 30 lbs of muscle, then its time to think about what sort of squats are best for whatever his weaknesses are. Who the hell cares whats sort of squats he uses to get there with??
    A minute point? Do you have any idea how incredibly hard it is to fix problems with your form when you realize that you have been doing **** wrong for years? If you are going to do something, do it right from the beginning.

Read the title of Rippetoe's book again. Starting Strength. Its designed for beginners, this means people who probably haven't benched or squatted with good form in their life. Its meant to build a good foundation which can then be specialized, whether it be sports training, bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc.

Here's my advice kid. Go out and buy the book and read the whole thing. The wiki on SS and forums like this are great, but they're not a substitute. SS is worth your 20 or 30 bucks.
    Don't give me this "kid" ****. Starting Strength is worth nothing to me, I read the thing years ago and Mark Rippetoe's advice really screwed my form up in the squat. Everything he writes is anti-bodybuilding. I actually think I would have been better off if I had never been exposed to his material.
    Last edited by OGROK; 01-27-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the literature guys. now i have a really noob question. how do i know what foods contain protein.. carbs.. etc. a normal day for me consists of cereal.. a grilled chicken sandwhich.. and a dinner of tacos.. or maybe spaghetti.
    wait should i download the book starting strength or not? haha

and i havent been running my whole life. i havent done anything but sit on my ass and eat grease for about a year. i'm a twig.
    Last edited by indigo; 01-27-2009 at 05:34 PM.