View Poll Results: Are homeless people worthless?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: they don't do anything for our society

24 42.11%
  • No: they are people too and are worth keeping alive

33 57.89%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless people = worthless?

Homeless people = worthless?

If you don't feel like reading the whole thing here is my basic message:
    We as a modern society really need to address the homeless people issue.

Here is a good rant. I hate homeless people, with a passion. Before I continue let me say that I am well known for being a sincerely nice person by those who know me. I am very opened minded and I actually hangout with people of different race, culture, sexual orientation, etc (unlike those who praise diversity but when you look at their circle of friends there is no diversity what so ever).

1) Homeless people are first worthless. They don't contribute to society at all. Infact, they make it worse (I don't think I need to explain how).

2) Homeless people are losers. In America at least, there is really no good reason to be homeless, seriously. The freakin government gives you money when you lose a job. The government also subsidizes tons of ****. If you were never poor you will be amazed at how much money goes towards helping the lower income in America.

3) Homeless people smell bad.

4) Homeless people look bad.

5) Homeless people are selfish.

6) Homelesss people piss anywhere and everywhere.

7) Did I mention they smell bad?

8) Homeless people bother me when I am trying to take my girl out to a nice dinner in downtown.

9) Homeless people are stupid.

Got a problem with what I am saying? Then screw you! I usually try to keep an open mind, but I don't see how anyone could argue that homeless people deserve anything.
    Last edited by hellagrant; 01-08-2009 at 10:51 AM.

I agree that they don't do anything for society. Most of them have mental health issues going on that hold them back from being a contributing/working member of society. I say deal with them. Your kind of being contradictory. You say "they don't deserve anything" but then your saying they are a blight and should be gone. The way I see it, the only way to get rid of them is to have the government give them money, which you (and me included) don't want to see happen. So just deal with them being there. There has always been homeless people and there always will be.

You forgot about one great contribution they have made to society:

Well I was thinking... we could turn the homeless into tires. So that we'd still have homeless but we could use them.... on our cars.

But in all seriousness, if there were no homeless people, what would we jump over with skateboards?
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Many homeless people, especially in big cities, do have jobs. Many of them have had prior criminal offenses or mental health issues, and are ineligible in one sense or another for low income housing. I was on your side until I took a class with a professor who did his thesis on the homeless in Cleavland, OH, and he shared a lot of information with us that opened our eyes up. It's not a black and white issue, though I agree there are some homeless people who do fit all of your, uh, "specifications".

The average panhandler in Dallas brings in about $12 an hour. They all work together and split the profits. (according to an "undercover" homeless operative in a grad school study)
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Why stop at homeless people? Why not get the lower income class too? They are a drain as well, taking in benefits that they don't pay for, raising kids in over crowded, urban areas with poor schools and an abundance of bad alternatives (drugs, crime, etc). They are more likely to head to prison, which is paid for by tax payers. So since they are an uneducated drain on society, lets just get rid of all them too. That leaves the middle and upper class.

Then we can get rid of the evil upper class since they have so much governmental clout that they have bent Washington to their needs and desires. Obviously they aren't trustworthy, and they are big babies when they are asked to share some of that wealth to help other people. They waste precious resources, pollute unecessarily, and otherwise drive up prices for goods that can be used by many people instead of just one. Is it necessary to have a 7,000 mansion when 3 or 4 houses (or multiple apartments) could be built instead? Such swine!!!! They can be taken care of too.

That leaves the middle class... what to do with them...
    The middle class is the largest demographic, so there will be quite a diverse range of peopel within them. This will lead to new lower and middle classes forming within the ranks and in which case we can just start elminating them as well as the cycle will continue ad infinitem. Just off everyone.

could someone please pass the kool-aid?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    Well I was thinking... we could turn the homeless into tires.

LMFAO!

Most of the homeless people have mental issues. Funding for mental health hospitals has decreased in recent years and so theses people have nowhere to go but the streets.

Others are just regular middle income families who lost their jobs and have nowhere to go.

This is a useless quote that means nothing but yet defines me as a profound intellect.

6'1", 220@9%
    Bench 420
    Deadlift 710
    Squat 610

Looking for the best supplements?
    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hellagrant View Post
    Here is a good rant. I hate homeless people, with a passion. Before I continue let me say that I am well known for being a sincerely nice person by those who know me. I am very opened minded and I actually hangout with people of different race, culture, sexual orientation, etc (unlike those who praise diversity but when you look at their circle of friends there is no diversity what so ever).

1) Homeless people are first worthless. They don't contribute to society at all. Infact, they make it worse (I don't think I need to explain how).

Apparently they help you feel good about yourself and give you a chance to praise your open mindedness and diverse group of friends. Good for you.

2) Homeless people are losers. In America at least, there is really no good reason to be homeless, seriously. The freakin government gives you money when you lose a job. The government also subsidizes tons of ****. If you were never poor you will be amazed at how much money goes towards helping the lower income in America.

A lot of homeless people are vets that have mental issues. Getting money from the government is not as easy as you would like to make it sound, especially when you have mental issues to begin with.

Great point, a lot of people smell bad, we should get rid of them, too.

Why does that bother you?

How so?

6) Homelesss people piss anywhere and everywhere.

You're a moron.

7) Did I mention they smell bad?

Did I mention you're a moron?

8) Homeless people bother me when I am trying to take my girl out to a nice dinner in downtown.

Did you ever think you bother homeless people when you take your girl out?

Apparently they are not alone.

Got a problem with what I am saying? Then screw you! I usually try to keep an open mind, but I don't see how anyone could argue that homeless people deserve anything.
    Don't praise yourself for being open minded and a nice person and then go on a rant about homeless people, it shows who you really are. Maybe you should actually learn about the problem instead of complaining about it and using stereotypes to make a point.

I agree with everything you said about the homeless, but...as has been said, I think most of them have serious mental health issues, so I don't think they can help the way they are. In the past, many of these folks were housed in government mental assylums - see One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Then, the government closed these facilities and turned them out on the streets. I don't know what the answer is.

Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post

could someone please pass the kool-aid?
    Seriously... a very large portion of homeless people are veterans. If you want to reduce the number of crazy homeless people then start advocating a more reasonable foreign policy because the two are linked at the hip.

I've read a lot of good literature that has indicated that welfare actually increases the number of "homeless" so I think people need to start accepting that. The government is not and can not be prudent enough about who they do or don't give money/help to which is why only private organizations should be in charge of charity. The government really doesn't give two ****s about the homeless and they aren't even remotely interested in getting rid of the homeless problem.

In fact the government probably likes people being homeless to a certain degree because it gives them a reason to ask for more tax money, skim a bunch off the top, and then give the paltry amount that's left to the homeless so they can continue being homeless.

Private organizations are led by and made up of people who can actually work with the homeless on a person-to-person basis so they actually would have the ability to give help to the homeless in a way that would actually help get that person off of the streets.

But you'll find that removing the government from the equation is nearly impossible. Like asking a tiger to eat vegetables...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

not all homeless people are where they are because of personal problems or lack of intelligence. its an unfair world and thats the cold hard truth.
    lets see you trade lives with one of them and then lets see who is succesful and who is the homeless loser.
    6'4"
    266 lbs.(w/adamantium bonded bones)

My "Ty story"

Fall of 2006 I was taking calc II..it was the night before the midterm, and I was watering my landlords rose bush with a steady stream of urine (she was a wretched bitch!) when I heard some noise coming from my left. I look over, and there is a drunk indian dude asleep in my yard. I go geta flash light and my gun in case his crazy ass tries to stab me with a needle (stereotype, obviously). I wake him up and get him to his feet and explain to him where he was at..and end up walking him half a mile down the road to the bus stop.
    Along the way, he tells me his name and his story. He was attending a local community college/trade school for electrical technology two years prior when his wife got sick (cancer, I believe) and died. He chose alcohol to deal with the pain, ended up dropping out of school, lost his job, his house, all his worldly possessions, and ended up living on the street (and in peoples back yards, evidently). He encouraged me to stay in school, and gave many thanks for being nice enough to walk him to the bus stop. I know fondly refer to him as "my buddy Ty".

That being said, I HATE when I get hit up for cash...but, I cant just write off the entire community of homeless people.

As a side note, if I EVER saw anyone disrespecting a homeless (or anyone for that matter) such as jumping a skateboard/bike/whatever over them with out their consent, I would strip them of their board and beat them with it, no joke.
    Last edited by borracho; 01-08-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Wow, I knew people disagree on this subject but some of you took it to heart. By the response I got from Mike G, I could of sworn he was homeless sometime in his life. Do any of you actually know someone who was homeless or is homeless? I am not talking about the bum you see everyday driving to work on the corner of Main St. Someone you know really well.

I noticed that tons of guys on this forum believe that a man creates his own destiny. You guys talk about controlling you life and taking charge of your health. Not letting excuses such as no time, no motivation, no money, etc being a factor to how fit you are. So I am surprised that some of you feel that the homeless couldn't do anything to keep them out of their current situations.

But I think we can at least all agree something has to be done. Would it be too crazy to implement some sort of system where homeless people are employed by the government? Cleaning up garbage on the street or something similar.

Banned
    I noticed that tons of guys on this forum believe that a man creates his own destiny. You guys talk about controlling you life and taking charge of your health. Not letting excuses such as no time, no motivation, no money, etc being a factor to how fit you are. So I am surprised that some of you feel that the homeless couldn't do anything to keep them out of their current situations.
    There are rich people who get their money from inheritance and luck (lottery, etc). Granted it is probably a small percent but some do. The rest are there through hard work, and some (possibly most) had great opportuniteis in the form of privlidged upbringing.

Then there is the opposite of that. Some people are homeless for reasons that were beyond their immediate control due to disorders, natural distasters, loss of job/benefits, etc. I don't know what percentage but certainly some. Then there are those that got there through their own "actions" just like some people that are incredibly well off got there through hard work/determination/opporunity. They could have been in a position where there wasn't the privliged upbringing, or where the opportunity for employment was macdonals, walmart, dealing or prostitution. Maybe they were set up to fail from the start and being homeless (or living with multiple relatives all on welfare) is the end result of those "choices"?

Banned
    But I think we can at least all agree something has to be done. Would it be too crazy to implement some sort of system where homeless people are employed by the government? Cleaning up garbage on the street or something similar.
    I do think something should be done, but what? who will pay for it, where will the moeny come from, how will you monitor their progress/work, etc? I'd like to see something done but I don't know what should be and at what cost.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar

I think FDR's New Deal was along that line and it worked out very well...

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    The average panhandler in Dallas brings in about $12 an hour. They all work together and split the profits. (according to an "undercover" homeless operative in a grad school study)
    they are finally cracking down on that crap, heard it on the news last night, you'll go to jail if caught.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyo_99 View Post
    they are finally cracking down on that crap, heard it on the news last night, you'll go to jail if caught.
    Isn't that just an incentive to do it if you truly are homeless? A nice bed for a night, a hot meal or two, and a case dismissal the next day because you have no money to pay fines and your crime doesn't warrant being placed in an already over-crowded prison system.

*Changing housing markets for extremely low-income families and single adults are pricing more and more people with below-poverty incomes out of the market.

*Dwindling employment opportunities for people with a high school education or less are contributing to the widening gap between rich and poor.

*The removal of institutional supports for people with severe mental illness, epitomized by drastic reductions in the use of long-term hospitalization for the mentally ill, are leaving many individuals with few housing options.

The the most telling statistic is that 75% of homeless people have mental illnesses. The number of homeless people in this country is really very small, roughly 1 million. Most of those people are outcast due to their mental problems, if people cared more for each other the homeless would get proper treatment. Your opinion is extremely distrubing and very uninformed.
    Last edited by johnnyo_99; 01-08-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by collin44 View Post
    Isn't that just an incentive to do it if you truly are homeless? A nice bed for a night, a hot meal or two, and a case dismissal the next day because you have no money to pay fines and your crime doesn't warrant being placed in an already over-crowded prison system.
    most of the people panhandling around here aren't really homeless, people are doing it for extra income. i think they are targeting the panhandling around crowded intersection where they walk to your car. I can't believe they are going to bust everyone because what you said is exactly what will happen.
    Last edited by johnnyo_99; 01-08-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Wow, how useless you must be to resort to begging. We have a lot of bums out here in Phoenix but nobody takes much liking to them. There was one living in a large desert bush on city property that would use our neighbors hose to shower and wash our clothes. We reported the location of his "home" to the cops and the next day Public Works was out there cutting down the bush and cleaning up all his trash.
    Last edited by collin44; 01-08-2009 at 02:56 PM.

I need homeless people so I can donate my old clothes and feel good about myself, as opposed to just throwing a good ol' "SUGAR BOWL '93" sweatshirt in the trash.

I understand your rant, though, but I'm pretty heartless when it comes down to it. However, I think one of the biggest drains on the nation is urban and ghetto trash spitting out babies by the bushel and actually taking government money that taxpayers put into. Atleast most of the homeless aren't taking welfare and housing.
    Last edited by Southern Beast; 01-08-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

2) Homeless people are losers.

That describes most people, not just the homeless.