Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are generation x-ers and y-ers starting to one-up their predecessors?

D'anconia, google the Flynn effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    That's one thing that I never understood, why is it that black guys who have one black parent and one white parents always consider themselves black?
    If Obama was just some stranger you passed on the street, would you think he was black?
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 01-26-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Not sure what you mean, but why would white liberals be guilted into liking Obama?

Youve gotta admit that one helluva generalization
    Hey, you're the one that said it's "dogma at its best". I asked what you meant by that. Figured that was pretty simple.

Mike is right about "white guilt". Not all white liberals have it, but a large number of them do. That's one reason the effects of Affirmative Action tend to be referred to as "reverse discrimination". That term is crap because discrimination in reverse is...get ready for it...discrimination.

White guilt is responsible for the majority of the political correctness bull**** that, thankfully, has gotten way less ridiculous than it was a few years ago. It's why white newscasters decide to ham up Spanish pronunciations. There are plenty of other examples, but it's become so far ingrained into our society that we don't really notice it.

Things should just be equal across the board but they're not and won't ever be until everyone stops making a big production of being equal.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    Hey, you're the one that said it's "dogma at its best". I asked what you meant by that. Figured that was pretty simple.

Mike is right about "white guilt". Not all white liberals have it, but a large number of them do. That's one reason the effects of Affirmative Action tend to be referred to as "reverse discrimination". That term is crap because discrimination in reverse is...get ready for it...discrimination.

White guilt is responsible for the majority of the political correctness bull**** that, thankfully, has gotten way less ridiculous than it was a few years ago. It's why white newscasters decide to ham up Spanish pronunciations. There are plenty of other examples, but it's become so far ingrained into our society that we don't really notice it.

Things should just be equal across the board but they're not and won't ever be until everyone stops making a big production of being equal.
    It sounds like we agree on most things. Good talk bro!
    Sarvamangalam!

Oh, and if you want to know an interesting fact, Obama wasn't technically the first non-white President.

From a Constitutional Law Professor named Ken Katkin:

No, the oath is *not* legally meaningless, even if it is a ritual. Art. II Sec 1. Cl. 8 of the US Const. clearly states that “Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following oath. . . ” Therefore, from 12:00 noon until about 12:01 pm today, the President of the USA was Condoleeza Rice. From 12:01 until about 12:03 pm the President of the USA was Joe Biden. Interestingly, this means that, technically, Obama was *not* the first African-American President! (And yes, I actually am a constitutional law professor!).
    Source: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b...was-president/
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Well there would always be individual diversity even if racial diversity no longer existed.
    People would be different, true, while all looking the same. And so much for diversity in the work place.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Not really sure why a thread about generational differences suddenly becomes yet another racially charged one... It amazes me (well, not really) that people who say "race isn't (or shouldn't be) an issue" are the ones that scream out against the tyranny of political correctness. Without affirmative action graduate programs would have almost zero minorities. Some of you will say "Well, that just proves they don't belong there." and I'd say "No, it just proves that they need extra support." Read "Outliers: The Story of Success" for an interesting perspective on affirmative action.

This thread is somehow turning into a mirror of the homeless thread. People with zero compassion. History matters people. I guess my saying so makes me a bleeding-heart liberal. If so, so be it.

As far as Davey's statement; "That's one thing that I never understood, why is it that black guys who have one black parent and one white parents always consider themselves black?" - Obama has referred to himself numerous times as a "mutt" or mixed. If he called himself "white", black people would hate him and white people would just shake their heads, chuckle and think to themselves "That silly negro thinks he white!". It's pretty clear he's comfortable with who he is and I doubt he loses any sleep over his racial identity.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Not really sure why a thread about generational differences suddenly becomes yet another racially charged one... It amazes me (well, not really) that people who say "race isn't (or shouldn't be) an issue" are the ones that scream out against the tyranny of political correctness. Without affirmative action graduate programs would have almost zero minorities. Some of you will say "Well, that just proves they don't belong there." and I'd say "No, it just proves that they need extra support." Read "Outliers: The Story of Success" for an interesting perspective on affirmative action.
    What type of extra support are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    It's pretty clear he's comfortable with who he is and I doubt he loses any sleep over his racial identity.
    Comfortable enough to blame his identity for his drug use as well.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"