Thread: Band tension?

Band tension?

Today I worked up to 115+doubled mini+doubled monster mini. I have no clue what the weight would be at the top.
    I know its not the same as straight weight or an exact science since peoples arms are different lengths. But does anyone have a guess?

right around 200lbs. Probably a little bit much if the most bar weight you could put on there is 115lbs. You should probably stick with one or the other.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Thanks Travis. Good to know. My plan was to just do the monster mini next time anyway. Just because I like to ask questions, is it just a bad idea in general to use more band tension than bar weight?

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanW View Post
    Thanks Travis. Good to know. My plan was to just do the monster mini next time anyway. Just because I like to ask questions, is it just a bad idea in general to use more band tension than bar weight?

In most cases yes. There is really no need to go over 50% of the total weight(ie. 200 lb bar weight, 200 lb tension). Most people would use a much lower percentage.

Was that a speed day or ME day for you? Every once in a while we like to use a lot of bands and/or chains and go real heavy, but it really smashes your CNS and I wouldn't reccomend it often.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    In most cases yes. There is really no need to go over 50% of the total weight(ie. 200 lb bar weight, 200 lb tension). Most people would use a much lower percentage.

Was that a speed day or ME day for you? Every once in a while we like to use a lot of bands and/or chains and go real heavy, but it really smashes your CNS and I wouldn't reccomend it often.
    This was an ME day. I don't really train with the westside method. Here was my plan. If you and Travis think this is crap I will scrap it. In this scenario week 1 and 2 already happened

week 1
    3x5 cambered bar bench<--on this i am adding 5 or 10lbs a time until i fail then i will just switch to straight bar. When i fail on that i will just reevaluate.

week 2
    MM+M for a max

week 3
    3x5 cambered bar

week4
    mm for max

week 5
    3x5 cambered bar

week 6
    m for max

Repeat that.

It is 5000lbs!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I'm pretty sure the band tension was equal to doubled minis and doubled monster minis
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    Agreed

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

haha. I know there a lot of dumb questions about band tension. I will take the advise, shut up and train hard. Thanks for all the comments guys.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanW View Post
    haha. I know there a lot of dumb questions about band tension. I will take the advise, shut up and train hard. Thanks for all the comments guys.

There are no dumb questions, just dumb lifters, haha. Yea, the reasoning really is don't even try to calculate the band tension. If last month you squatted 400 lbs with blue bands. Then this month set them up the same way and try and squat 425 with them. Then you know you are progressing. Keep track of all your different band PR's, but like you said most importantly, just train hard.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL