Thread: Enumerated Powers Act, anyone?

Enumerated Powers Act, anyone?

Video

Personally, I think it's a great idea. Unfortunately, too many people are either too lazy or disillusioned to actually try to change anything.

The thing is that something like writing or calling a Congressman's office takes 5 minutes out of your day and costs you NOTHING. Your duty as a citizen does not stop at the polls.

For the love of whatever higher power in which you believe, take the time to let it be known that you're holding your elected officials responsible for their actions. They're supposed to be representing you. How can they do that if you don't tell them what you want?

Think about it.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I agree, it is a great idea. And I always felt like I was one of the only few people who actually called/emailed their local congressman. When you do call, and maybe they're just lending a deaf ear, but their office really takes genuine interest in what you're saying.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

The problem with the Constitution is that it was written, and has barely been change since, in a completely different era.

What does that have to do with anything?

The beauty of the Constitution is that the men that created it realized that they weren't perfect. They knew that it was impossible to plan for every contingency, so they made it possible to update and change if necessary. Most of the problems we have in this country are caused by the fact that too many things are done in direct violation of the rules they're supposed to follow.
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 01-30-2009 at 10:19 AM.

The men that created it? You mean like Thomas Jefferson, who said that all men were created equal, then kept slaves? Yeah, I think it's safe to ignore anything said by that bunch of hypocrites.

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    The problem with the Constitution is that it was written, and has barely been change since, in a completely different era.
    That's why the people can change it through the Amendment process. Statutory law doesn't change just because the era changes; why should the Supreme Law of the Land be any different?
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anelka View Post
    The men that created it? You mean like Thomas Jefferson, who said that all men were created equal, then kept slaves? Yeah, I think it's safe to ignore anything said by that bunch of hypocrites.
    That is the folley of your thinking .

Even flawed they wrote probably the most important document ever written . Yet you and your hate for the US has blinded you from any intellectual honesty .

Poor you .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

First of all, EVERYONE is a hypocrite to some degree. Everyone that's ever lived on this planet has said one thing and done something else at some point in his life. Everyone lies, everyone's a hypocrite, and the worst offenders are the ones that try to call everyone else out on it.

Second, you've got this blind hatred that has no rational basis and so it clouds your judgement and removes your ability to take anything even remotely resembling an objective position on any subject. If you go back and look, your comment didn't even really have anything to do with the topic at hand. You just saw an opportunity to bash the US and took it. Proud of yourself, keyboard warrior?

My advice to you is to be careful that you don't break your neck falling off your high horse.

Third, I believe when I said "the men that created it realized that they weren't perfect", I indirectly addressed the non-issue you brought up.

I like the constitution. I think we should follow it, because it was born out of a need to escape a country very similar to the one we have created today.

Quote Originally Posted by Brawl View Post
    That is the folley of your thinking .

Even flawed they wrote probably the most important document ever written . Yet you and your hate for the US has blinded you from any intellectual honesty .
    How it is an important document if they didn't even bother to follow it themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    Second, you've got this blind hatred that has no rational basis
    You are saying there's no rational basis in hating people who keep slaves, even after saying people were all equal? This is not simple hypocrisy.

They founded a democracy, but didn't bother to allow anyone to vote.

You just saw an opportunity to bash the US and took it. Proud of yourself, keyboard warrior?
    And you just saw an opportunity to defend slavery. Proud of yourself?

You are saying there's no rational basis in hating people who keep slaves, even after saying people were all equal? This is not simple hypocrisy.

They founded a democracy, but didn't bother to allow anyone to vote.
    Your hatred is for the United States in general. It seeps into every post you make here. You will take every opportunity you can to talk trash, even when it doesn't even address the topic at hand...such as your first post in this thread.

Just so you can see the idiocy that's dripping from your keyboard, let me recap.

My post said that the men that wrote the document that is supposed to be the basis of the United States Government knew that it couldn't cover everything and so included a procedure for making alterations as necessary.

Your reply was that they owned slaves and therefore shouldn't be listened to.

How, exactly, does that relate IN ANY WAY to the fact that there is a process for making changes to the United States Constitution?

And you just saw an opportunity to defend slavery. Proud of yourself?
    Defend slavery? I'm incredibly curious what convoluted "logic" processes led you to that conclusion.