Thread: Do your kids work out with you?

Do your kids work out with you?

My 8 year old daughter likes playing sports and plays soccer, softball, and basketball. I recently asked her if she would like to improve in these and she said yeah. So I explained to her that there are several aspects that will help her improve and that getting stronger is one of those. I then asked her if she would be interested in weight training with me. She said yeah.

OK, that was easy. I figured I'd have to talk her into it.

So, about two weeks ago she started weight training with me two days a week. She is doing the following full body workout twice a week. The weights she uses are so light I figure it is OK to do it all on one day. If it starts to wipe her out I'll have to split it up.

Squat (zercher with sandbag)
    Deadlift (yeah, full on deadlift with a barbell)
    Bench (dumbell)
    Bent Over Row (dumbell)
    Overhead Press (dumbell)

It's fun, she's enjoying it. I've been using the techniques from Starting Strength to teach her form. Like I say we're using light weights to just getting her doing the motion although we did up the weight a little this last Saturday. She seemed to like the increase in weight and the feeling of accomplishment and improvement so that was great.

I hope she sticks with it as much for herself as for me. I mean, what better way to spend time with your daughter than in the weight room.

Do any of you work out with your kids?

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    I don't have kids. But when I do they will weightlift if I can convince them to. When they do get older, and they don't have times for things like sports anymore, they have a good training regimen instilled in them.
    Good for you in getting your daughter started early.
    She'll probably especially thank you in college when her metabolism tanks but she doesn't get fat like all her friends because she know that excercise doesn't mean hopping on the treadmill for 20 minutes a couple times a week.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

That is great that you got your kid working out but 8 years old is pretty young. Are you concerned about any side effects of having a child start weight training at an early age? I am sure we all heard the rumor that weight training at an early age will stunt growth. I don't know if that is true or not.

I don't have kids but I know I am going to have my son(s) weight train when they get into high school. Hopefully my son will be playing football, basketball, and baseball.

Banned
    That young I would probably recommend more bodyweight stuff, but it's good to get them started early. My daughters are still way too young to train, but my oldest daughter (5) is in gymnastics and is very strong for her bodyweight. Hopefully they'll see the benefit of weight training when they get older. I won't push them, but if they show interest I'll guide them.

For hellagrant - how are you going to guarantee son(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    For hellagrant - how are you going to guarantee son(s)?
    Keep trying until I get one. Even if that means having 10 children, haha! Well I guess I can't guarantee it, but I hope I get at least 1 son. I actually would be happy with 1 boy and 1 girl, I don't think I want a huge family.

Actually....you kinda can guarantee a son/daughter. Some people pay doctors lots of money to choose the sex of the baby, pretty wierd. I also heard you can pay a doctor to try to increase the chance of having twins. Modern medicine is playing god.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hellagrant View Post
    Actually....you kinda can guarantee a son/daughter. Some people pay doctors lots of money to choose the sex of the baby, pretty wierd. I also heard you can pay a doctor to try to increase the chance of having twins. Modern medicine is playing god.
    Well, you can only blame yourself if you get all girls!

Banned
    Keep trying until I get one. Even if that means having 10 children, haha! Well I guess I can't guarantee it, but I hope I get at least 1 son. I actually would be happy with 1 boy and 1 girl, I don't think I want a huge family.

I have 3 girls - you may be trying for a while.

I know a woman who wanted a daughter so badly she decided to keep having children until one of them had a vagina. She gave up after 7 boys.

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Yeah grant is right, with enough money you can choose whether you have a boy or girl.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Back to your question Teeroy. My two oldest boys(16,14)make the trip 2x a week to lift with me.
    They will each be doing their first full meet in a couple months.

Ryan Hale

Thats awesome Teeroy. Shes gonna be able to kick all the guys asses. Its great that she understands she that lifting weights doesnt have to mean getting big.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 01-27-2009 at 03:36 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    My 16 yr old son is my training partner.He has a 1150 total at 198.His first competition is Feb 21 in a full raw meet.
    17 yr old son training partner 5'9" 198 lbs All lifts are Raw
    Bench 295
    Squat 415
    Dead 480
    Total 1190

Me 6'2" 240 lbs

Lexen Extreme the only place to train

i have 2 boys....3 and 6....when i workout at home they love to be right there with me. i love it. i will never be able to keep up with them...they never get winded.............