Thread: Integrating crossfit into a strength routine

Hybrid View

Integrating crossfit into a strength routine

I really like the group and social aspect of crossfit and want to start doing it more often. I'm trying to figure out how to mix it into my routine or start a whole new routine. Right now I'm doing BGB with a M/T Th/Fri lifting split. Horizontal Push/Pull Monday, Legs/Biceps Tuesday, Vertical Push/Pull Thursday, Hamstrings/Tris Friday. I've also been doing Yoga Wed/Sat.

There is a crossfit gym almost walking distance from my house. This is what they have done the past week for an idea of the workouts.

Tues
    7 ROUNDS
    10 MED BALL CLEANS
    10 BURPEES

Wed
    THRUSTER
    1-1-1-1-1-1-1
    Find your one rep max thruster

Thurs
    8 ROUNDS
    8 POWER CLEAN AND JERK 135/95
    8 PULL UPS

Fri
    4 ROUNDS
    500 METER ROW
    2 MIN REST

Sat
    CROSSFIT FOOTBALL!
    You will be divided into two teams!
    Each time your team completes one of the following you will receive a certain number of points!:
    Farmer carry 400 meters (2kbs down and back)= TOUCHDOWN 7pts
    100 Box Jumps = Field goal 3 pts
    100 Wall Balls = PAT 2 pts
    100 burpees = subtract 4 points from the other team!
    The game will last 30 minutes!

Monday
    JACKIE
    ROW 1000 METERS
    50 THRUSTERS
    30 PULL UPS

Any suggestions? The gym isn't cheap at all. $125 a month for unlimited workouts, $100 a month for 2/week, or $150 for a 10 pass card. If I did the pass card I wouldn't waste passes on ones like the rowing because I could do that Golds easy enough.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas? Should I blend my workouts? Do it once a week? Try it exclusively for a month?
    Nick V

This is hard to do. You might consider a 3day split similar to that of Starting Strength and do crossfit an additional 2 days.

I did something similar but made my own "crossfit" WOs so I wasnt killing myself with recovery.

Doing CF exclusively isnt a bad idea either.

Black Box CF:
    The Black Box takes the typical CrossFit 3 days on 1 day off template and substitutes the middle day with maximum effort strength training. In the original incarnation one would do a CrossFit WOD that involved heavy metabolic conditioning and a monostructural movement (running, rowing, or swimming) followed by lifting the next day, and on the 3rd day perform another metabolic CrossFit WOD. The lifts were focused lifts, which is to say on the first lifting day one would do a full body lift (squat clean), on the second a lower body lift (back squat), and on the third an upper body lift (weighted pull-ups). All the lifts followed a particular rep scheme that is not important to elaborate on here. They were also maximum effort lifts which is, in my opinion, why they produced excellent results. This all out effort will be important to remember when you decided to black box a movement.
    Sarvamangalam!

Why not go to the crossfit website and do their WOD at your gym and not have to pay the crossfit gym?

I think he like the social and competetive aspects
    Sarvamangalam!

Because doing CF at golds doesnt work well. Second the social aspect rocks. Having 20 people there doing it with you is great. The encouragement is good.

The 3 day 1 off kind of works. The only issue not knowing what the WOD for the next day is when doing heavy lifting. Maybe do 3 days of lifting and pick 2 to CF is good, but the 2 CF days would have to be metacon days. I don't want to go and do a ME strength workout at the CF gym after doing heavy weights the day before either.
    Nick V

Yea, thats why I began designing my own. Try it, get creative! You are your own best trainer

I had astounding results when I did this and want to begin doing it again asap.
    Sarvamangalam!

That seems like the best option but that leaves out the social/group aspect. I can pick out some metacon workouts and do them on my off/cardio days, but doing it alone in the garage or spare bedroom sounds like a ****ty time.
    Nick V

I hear ya. I attend a CF gym for OLY training and sometimes do the WOD w/ the crossfitters there. Ive never felt so much energy and excitement to train and train hard at that. It also really pushed my limits to have others to compete against.... maybe find an interested friend or neighbor to train with

My suggestion would be to find a park/playground and go from there. If you bring a couple KBs or any devices/equip you can have really versitle training. Some days I would do it in the garage and others at the park. Also, dont feel limited by circuits and such. Incorporating cycling, hiit, SS, running, swimming, boxing, yoga, pilates, trampoline, heavy lawn work, etc... can keep things novel and (more) exciting.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-02-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I do yoga twice a week and cycle a lot when the weather is nicer. That is already in there.
    Nick V

Maybe talk to one of the instructors and explain the dilemma. From my experience w/ CF coaches is that they know their stuff. They can probably offer some more, maybe better suggestions.

check this out too: (search results in a Rippetoe Q&A section)
    http://strengthmill.net/forum/search...earchid=156052
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-02-2009 at 04:08 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Thank ZM. You rock. I found a lot of good threads on there.
    Nick V