The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Slowly but surely
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    inland empire
    Posts
    37

    I Want To Get My Hips Smaller and My Lats Bigger

    How can i do this? I've been looking it up but I'm not finding anything.

    I feel like my shoulders are wide enough for my liking but need my hips to be smaller and my lats to be bigger

    Any help would be appreciated

    Thanks

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Shut up and Lift
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    136
    Surgery
    \m/ d-_-b \m/

  4. #3
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Rows and chins will work the lats. As for the hips, that's mostly bone structure. A good diet will take away most flab there (and everywhere else).


    If you do not carry much bodyfat in the hip area, then putting muscle on your shoulders and bringing up your lats can create an illusion of smaller hips.

  5. #4
    Slowly but surely
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    inland empire
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post

    If you do not carry much bodyfat in the hip area, then putting muscle on your shoulders and bringing up your lats can create an illusion of smaller hips.
    Interesting you say that, hadn't even thought of that. Makes sense though. So are those the best for lats or are there more exercises that I can do for my lats?

  6. #5
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcelona View Post
    Interesting you say that, hadn't even thought of that. Makes sense though. So are those the best for lats or are there more exercises that I can do for my lats?

    Rows and chins should be all that you need. If you find that chins/pull ups are too hard or you can only do a couple, you can either have a friend help you do assisted chins or pull ups, or you can use the lat pulldown machine until you get strong enough.

    In any event how big your lats get will be determined by two things. (i) How hard you are willing to work*. (ii) Your genetics.







    (*work=training, eating and resting properly)

  7. #6
    Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    683
    deadlifts are important too. I assume the only reason they haven't been mentioned yet is because they are more of a full body exercise...but for lat development, they are vital nonetheless.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

    Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

    Not strong yet, but getting there.

    Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    434
    Deadlifts are where it's at, add various chins and holds to failure, and you can do work on the cables that hit them pretty darn good too.
    Last edited by Twirl; 02-05-2009 at 08:23 AM.
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)


  9. #8
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ_H View Post
    deadlifts are important too. I assume the only reason they haven't been mentioned yet is because they are more of a full body exercise...but for lat development, they are vital nonetheless.


    While the deadlift does hit lats, they are considered secondary muscles in this lift.

    Chins and rows use the lats as primary muscles therefore they are better for lat development.


    Personally I would not use deadlifts for this particular purpose.

  10. #9
    Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Doncaster, England
    Posts
    1,030
    I've got big hips but when you get your quads and upper body wide enough you pretty much stop caring as it makes you look more proportionate
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

    "This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

  11. #10
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Twirl View Post
    Deadlifts are where it's at, add various chins and holds to failure, and you can do work on the cables that hit them pretty darn good too.
    wont deads make the obliques bigger? hence kinda defeat the purpose

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcelona View Post
    How can i do this? I've been looking it up but I'm not finding anything.

    I feel like my shoulders are wide enough for my liking but need my hips to be smaller and my lats to be bigger

    Any help would be appreciated

    Thanks
    I would say diet and heavy back training. Deads, Cable rows, Bent over barcell rows, Dumbell rows and lets not forget Chins and Pullups.

    Another tip would be to traing lighter on days that are not back so you have all your resources to blast it each workout.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •