Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports & Bodybuilding?

Sports & Bodybuilding?

I have recently gotten into bodybuilding. My mom is probably going to make me join a sport, seeing as it looks good on a college application.

Which sport would interfere least with bodybuilding. I joined wrestling last year, and lost quite a bit of weight/strength, and developed tendonidis. I am uncertain wether i want to do that again. What sports do you reccomend? I really dont enjoy sports that much, (aside from bodybuilding).

Powerlifting.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Powerlifting.
    Oh hell ya.

Ecoli die
    Football maybe, if you can get a linebacker job. Depending on how far into bodybuilding you are, gymnastics which will build great core strenght.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

my damn candy ass school doest have powerlifting. Imma see if i can suggest it next year, maybe we can get a team. I dunno though.

Pin Pong, pool and chess.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Don't do a sport because it would look good on a college application if that is the ONLY reason that you can come up with...first of all, find some activity that you have a valid interest in b/c your time and energy are valuable. Secondly, playing a sport requires desire and dedication, and if you're just going through the motions, it will show...

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

i dont really wanna join a sport, because it will interfere with my lifting and growing. THat is why im reluctant to join wrestling again. But my mom is making me join a sport. So i wanna join a sport that will have some benifit to my physique and bodybuilding. Powerlifting would be perfect, but my school doest offer it. I am thinking about swimming.

Any team i join would have practice every day. For around 2 hours.

Wannabebig Member
    Wrestling is a great sport for bodybuilder's

Dedication
    Agression
    and most importantly heart

Its and 1 on 1 match... like you and the bar
    The cardiovascular may not make you look like the steroid using freaks but it will make you healthy and strong and in the end you may love it.
    Don't do the BullShitt Cutting weight crwap...gain weight-get strong-beat asss
    If you lift in the morning the wrestling in the afternoon will only help

Does your school have an ice hockey team? Us Canadians love ice hockey eh. Ice hockey is a great sport eh.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

eh ya hoser.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Cottage cheese addict LiftAgain's Avatar
    A friend of mine used to compete in both sprinting and powerlifting.

Wannabebig Member
    Sprinting and powerlifting both require fast-twitch muscle fibers.

We dont have hockey.

that's to bad eh.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

na... i would much prefer powerlifting, but we dont have that either

Mind Over Matter Monster Muscle's Avatar
    Wrestling! Take those 3-4 months and do wrestling and then come back to the gym. You will be stronger then u were b4 and may even get bigger. I have seen it happen. How could you not want to wrestle? It is such a great sport.
    "If you have a 10-horsepower motor and you subject it to a 12-horsepower load, it will burn out. But when you have a human body that is the equivalent of a 10-horsepower motor and you subject it to a 12-horsepower load, it eventually becomes a 12-horsepower motor."
    -Dr. L.G.

Are you an American? Play FOOTBALL! What is wrong with you?

The Truth
    I would say track..

Originally posted by stantheman
    Are you an American? Play FOOTBALL! What is wrong with you?
    Amen brother .... football is king!

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Tru
    I would say track..
    Aye, track. Ever seen a Sprinters physique? Sprinting is Anabolic rather than Catabolic like most Cardio. Or so that is what I have heard. Been meaning to start sprinting myself.

Go play a sport or two. Don't turn into a completely uncoordinated meat head bumping into inanimate objects all the time.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Sports are a good idea

Actually I'll have to disagree that wrestling cuts into your gains. I know a 2nd year university wrestler who is absolutely jacked in every sense of the word. He's a small guy and despite the fact he wrestles for the school he's still a bodybuilder. He has entered several competitions for bodybuilding, so if you have the dedication you can pull off both. Also as others have mentioned football is a great sport to play to go hand and hand with bodybuilding, and the same can be said about wrestling, there are lots of guys who play football (not NFL/CFL) but highschool/university level football that bodybuild. Swimming is NOT a good competitive sport to go with bodybuilding. A swimmer's physique is lean and muscular not bulky. Swimming is more on technique, training and genetics (height, length of your limbs, buoyancy, foot size, hand size) and after a certain point your mass becomes a hinderance and not a help. If you doubt that look at international olypmic level swimmers. I know several national competing swimmers some of which that have competed in the olympics and all have a "swimmers build" that results from the type of practices (long and very high tiring). I'd also say avoid rowing, distance running, cross country.

In reality though I agree entirely with El Pietro and IceRgrrl. You're young, probably 16 years old (as indicated by the fact you're in highschool and are returning next year) so you shouldn't be worrying about how big you can get and what won't interefere you should worry about enjoying yourself. Don't do something for the sake of doing it and don't avoid things in life because you think it'll help you get bigger. Playing a sport because it looks good is lame why waste your time trying to impress someone? I can say this right now, if you're getting into bodybuilding for the same reason (to impress other people) then you're getting into it for all the wrong reasons because a few months from now you'll be terribly disappointed by your progress. You HAVE to want it for yourself or you're quickly become frustrated and quit.

SWIMMING!

I can't believe no one has suggested swimming.
    1. Most swim teams incorporate lifting into their training.
    2. You will be cardiovascularly healthy beyond belief. And since you're required to control and time your breathing for when you are not underwater, it takes cardiovascular/respiratory health to a whole new level.
    3. The water provides resistance that will stimulate your muscles even more. When I first started swimming I hadn't ever stepped inside a gym and I had development literally everywhere--arms, legs, abs, shoulders. A good practice session left me with some niiice DOMS--something track will never give you, and you're limited to the legs.
    4. It's the fullest of full body workouts out there. See above.
    5. You get not only cardiovascular health and muscular development, you get agility, coordination, and flexibility from learning proper stroke technique, land training, and start practice.
    6. It is a really really nice change from the regular pace of daily life. It really is an interesting experience to jump into a pool in the afternoons post school, instead of sitting around at home like your friends, or even stepping outside on a field. (Gravity...pfft)
    7. You'll kick everyone's ass every summer. And you can get those high-paying lifegaurding jobs with ease.
    8. A life skill.
    Last edited by Jane; 06-20-2002 at 09:57 AM.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine