The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: skinny calves

skinny calves

any1 else have this problem.
    My calves are REALLY skinny but i can still squat 400 lbs. now I know calves arent worked too hard with squats and I know my legs arent gonna snap in half either, but...
    I just want them to look bigger for looks.
    my friend does 10 sets of 10 reps of calf raises every week with a 15 second wait in between sets. is this a good idea?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gain weight and your calves will grow.
    Roll Tide.

sure
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Wannabebig Member
    I've heard of guys jumping on a stationary bike and biking while both feet are in a state of plantar flexion. For a best result I would increase the resistance on the bike.

Play a sport like football or start running.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    keep gaining weight and squatting. They get more work than you think as they work in supporting the knees. Plus, when **** gets real heavy it can really work them on walk outs, no joke.

You can do free weight calf raises if you have a SSB.

Shut up and Lift
    Go snowboarding- seriously
    \m/ d-_-b \m/

I have small calves too.. and no, snowboarding and lots of running dont help. at least it doesnt help me. mine are slowly growing and its from squatting and heavy calf raises. they just grow slowly.
    bench: 175#
    squat: 215#
    weight: 175#
    height 5'9"

Well, calves aren't gonna grow well if you do 'a few sets after legs' or 'run'

Dedicate a day, or the start of your leg session to them, or do them after squats and pound them hard, lots volume and frequency.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Just noticed that mine are looking better. Details are starting to pop plus more width.
    Other than squats and deads all I do is 4 sets a wk. of calf raises. 2 sets standing with both legs under a bb and 2 sets 1 leg at a time with a db using a light weight still. I prefer higher reps in the 12-15 range. The last couple really friggin burn.
    But I think properly executed squats really do work the calves more than most people think.
    I'm also a firm believer in that good stretching enhances the growth in calves.
    And eating enough good food was NEVER a problem for me.
    Last edited by dumbbell; 01-26-2009 at 01:51 AM.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

My calves aren't extremely skinny, just not genetically blessed. My dad's are the same way. I've gotten a lot more detail and size in them over the past few years, but combined with being really hairy and just not aesthetically pleasing, I tend to wear britches over shorts.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    Gain weight and your calves will grow.
    This is not always the case. I have gained 20lbs and have not seen anything in my calves yet. I have seen some pretty big guys with little calves. Like in the other thread I believe calves are genetic. I do calf raises once a week and started jumping rope for some cardio and hope it helps them too.
    Last edited by ELmx479; 01-26-2009 at 11:08 AM.

My Dad is short and stocky, with fairly decent sized calves. Mine are like that. I also have played basketball since I was in jr. high. Lots of jumping hits the calves hard. Now, I don't worry about it.
    But, I would train calves like any other muscle, hard and heavy. Do light sets of innumerable reps (like you see the gym) is a waste of time. When I do calves, it's usually 2-3 heavy sets 6-8 reps of standing raises and then 1-2 sets about 50% with 20+ reps.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    This is not always the case. I have gained 20lbs and have not seen anything in my calves yet. I have seen some pretty big guys with little calves. Like in the other thread I believe calves are genetic. I do calf raises once a week and started jumping rope for some cardio and hope it helps them too.
    yeah ive put on about 40-50 pounds in the past few years of workin out and a couple inches on the biceps, but the calves are still just chillin. I just realised the truth tho: i dont really give a **** any more

as long i can have big quads im happy with them lower limbs

Banned
    I have gained 20lbs and have not seen anything in my calves yet.
    have you measured?

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    have you measured?
    No, but trust me they have not grown. My gf was just joking with me about hers being the same size as mine. I think I am going to start doing them first in my workout or on an off day like Saturday. Hit them hard in the 8-12 rep range instead of 20-30 with body weight.
    Last edited by ELmx479; 02-05-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Banned
    No, but trust me they have not grown. My gf was just joking with me about hers being the same size as mine. I think I am going to start doing them first in my workout or on an off day like Saturday. Hit them hard in the 8-12 rep range instead of 20-30 with body weight.
    well, sometimes stuff doesn't seem to grow because you see them every day. I would do more frequent measurements (or pictures) to help guage progress if size is a goal for something.

i do calves twice a week, usually mon-thurs....6 sets of 10-20 reps with weight increasing each set.
    26 y/o, 6'3", 200
    B: 365
    D: 405

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    well, sometimes stuff doesn't seem to grow because you see them every day. I would do more frequent measurements (or pictures) to help guage progress if size is a goal for something.
    Very true, even when I was into working out years ago they wouldn't grow. I have done a good bit of jogging and a ton of bicycle riding in my life so it's not like i'm sitting on the couch complaining they won't grow. I should have measured them before but forgot. So I did today and they are...get ready for this..... 15.5 massive inches

Wannabebig Member
    I was reading a book about Arnold's training and he said sets of at least 15 or closer to 20-25 reps per set was the sure fire way to build huge calves, dont forget to go heavy too

Also back in my basketball days, we would finish off the somedays with a set of "Russians" on the seated calf raise machine to kind of shock the muscles or just drain them
    Start with 1 45lb plate do 20 or so reps make sure to get full stretch
    increase to 2 45lb 5 reps
    keep increasing the weight by 1 plate and doing 5 reps until only 1 full rep can be completed
    then
    start taking them off 1 plate at a time while still maintaining or attempting to do 5 reps
    last set with one plate go for 20 or so reps maximizing the stretch and full extension
    Make sure you walk it off or you will cramp
    Start: 2-2-09
    Age-19 Height-6'3'' Weight-173lbs
    Current:
    Weight 185lbs

is SERIOUS!
    I got my calves from biking for almost over a year. You should try biking as well and also, do calve raises with the leg press machine.
    My age: 16
    My weight: 185lbs
    Deadlift: 265lbs
    Benchpress: 145lbs
    Squat: 135lbs

LOL. You should start walking with a "ghetto hop". My boss does this and has one HUGE calf, and one bone skinny calf. If only he would alternate from one side to the other he might have even calves.

Seriously though, my calves get worked the hardest by dragging a sled with a long slow stride.
    "It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." - Leonardo da Vinci

Do calf raises.
    Last edited by Sampson777; 02-05-2009 at 07:48 PM.
    Height: 6'-2"
    May 2009 Weight: 175 pounds
    June 2009 Weight: 180 pounds
    July 4 2009 Weight 178 pounds
    July 25 2009 Weight 180 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by Sampson777 View Post
    Do calf raises.
    Wow! thanks, I never thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sampson777 View Post
    Do calf raises.
    lol only a matter of time before a comment like this came up ..
    Age 20-5'10
    Then: 134 lbs November 12, 2008
    Now: 195 lbs