Thread: Looking for some advice on my squats.

Wannabebig Member

Looking for some advice on my squats.

Keep in mind that I use a smith machine, there is no squat rack at my gym. At first when I started squatting (like a month ago lol) I was just going parallel. And I was able to get 2 plates on each side up 5 times, for multi reps. Now that I started working on my form and going ATG, I can not squat much at all. I literally got stuck with 155 lbs on the machine. I should be able to squat more then this. I am in good physical condition, am consistently on my feet working, so my legs should have endurance. But this crap is frustrating. I'm doing SS by the way. Should I only go to parallel or should I stay going ATG, and just keep working on my form and move up slowly? I've watched rippetoes videos btw.

I had my legs spread about shoulder length, my feet and knees pointed slightly out, my grip was about 2x my shoulder length, and I was trying to drive with my hips.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jweik84 View Post
    Keep in mind that I use a smith machine, there is no squat rack at my gym.
    Sorry, maybe this is just my opinion but, DONT SQUAT IN THE SMITH MACHINE! I don't care if there's not a squat rack, smith machine "squats" are not squats.

Wannabebig Member
    Then where should I squat? There is no rack, so I have no way to get the weigh on my shoulders and then off again.

Find a new gym. Seriously.

Video
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

StrengthFromAboveMinistry Benny Jackson's Avatar
    Ohh man...
    I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever. Every day I will praise you and extol your name for ever and ever. (Psalm 145:1-2)

Wannabebig Member
    Ouch! That can't happen at mine, there is a stopper thing at the bottom. I can only lift after work at like 3-4 am, or when I'm off, so I have to stay at this gym. It is the only 24 hour place around.

Definitely find a new gym.

In the mean time, you could try cleaning the weight and then doing front squats. You'd probably be selling your front squats short, but it's better than the smith machine...

Wannabebig Member
    Finding a new gym is not an option. I work until 3 am and workout after that. There is only one place that is 24/7, and I already go there.

Finding a new gym is not an option. I work until 3 am and workout after that. There is only one place that is 24/7, and I already go there.
    Don't worry about the weight. The same thing happen to me. I starting doing squats and thought I was doing ok until I took a video and was barely hitting parallel. So back down in weight I went. Anyway as for your gym, if there is a bench that can be adjusted up enough so the bar is pretty high to allow you to sit on the bench (where your head would be if you was doing a bench press) and squat the weight up from there. That is what I did until I had enough money to buy a power rack. If you can't figure that out I could take a video for you.

Ouch! That can't happen at mine, there is a stopper thing at the bottom. I can only lift after work at like 3-4 am, or when I'm off, so I have to stay at this gym. It is the only 24 hour place around.
    If you want it bad enough, You can find a way to lift somewhere else. Smith machine squatting is just not the same as with a free weight squat. You can build muscle using them, but at your stage, doing free weights will be of more benefit to you.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    I can not lift anywhere else!! I am only off 2 days a week, we are understaffed, and the days I do work are 10+ hour days. Factor in getting ready, an hour drive there, and an hour drive home, leaves me no time to go to a gym except for at night, and no gym would be open other then the one I am at.

I looked for something I could use to put the weigh on but they didn't have anything.
    Last edited by Jweik84; 02-07-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Banned
    Home gym - if you are in Belleville I know a private gym that is in your town. Many pl'ers strongmen and such at that gym. PM me if you want more info.

Start doing these instead:

Video
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Wannabebig Member
    PM sent, and I will try those cleans. His wrists look weird in that video.

Get a new job...
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig Member

Wannabebig Member
    ive been playing soccer my hole life and my legs are so weak... they arnt small or anything.. they are just weak, very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    Start doing these instead:

Video
    qft.
    Sarvamangalam!