Thread: My upcoming regime!

Wannabe Tank.

My upcoming regime!

Hey people,

I am just about to finish my program and have drawn up a new one and would like to get your thoughts on it. I am about to finish my four day split which was more of a strength building program. It consisted of working each area once per week between 8 - 10 reps for 2 sets.

I have gained a little size from this and upped my strength quite well. However I need to cut back to a three day training program as I am going back to school at night which will cut back some of my time.

I have found it quite hard to write something up for a three day program as there is so much to fit in. I am about 5'11 and weight 80.2kg (176.4 lbs). My electric scales say I'm at about 16.6% BF but I know that they are not the best way to measure, however do give an indication.

I am looking to gain in size now so I have changed my program a little to assist. I will be doing three days as stated but will now be doing 6 - 8 reps for 3 sets. My biceps, triceps, quads and hamstrings are decent, however I struggle with my forearms and calves. I have purposely got specific exercises in the program to help on this area.

My back isn't the best, prior lower back problems and current trap issues tend to prevent me from doing overhead weights and also free weight squats and bent over rows... I have tried my best to incorporate exercises that work these areas but don't cause pain (bad pain not training pain) and discomfort for the following days.

In addition to the program I run 2 times per week for about 15 minutes (very unfit at this point). I am also on a mega gainer which I take in the morning along with a vitamin b group, q10 and fish oil. (protein is in the gainer also)

Please let me know what you think and what you would change etc with it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Day One

Dumbell Bench Press
    Cable Fly Press
    Dumbell Incline Press

Bicep Curls (M/C)
    Barbell Bicep Curl
    Reverse Curl (Cable)

Day Two

Squats (M/C)
    Lying Hamstring Curls
    Leg Extension

Dips
    Cable Tricep Extension (Rope)

Cable Upright Row
    Reverse Fly (M/C)

Day Three

Seated Dumbell Shrug
    Swiss Ball Cable Row
    Cable Pulldown

Calf Raises (M/C)
    Calf Extension (M/C)

Hip Raise (M/C)
    Weighted Swiss Ball Crunch
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    They will also be banning weight lifting, so do as much as you can now.

How much can you bench? More rhetorical...just to give me a clear reason why I say you have no business doing Cable Fly Presses.

Also, I don't like that you've got so much bicep isolation stuff...look at the size of the muscle...does it really require that much attention? No.

Do more squats, drop the leg extensions and probably the leg curls, too.

Also, why does your trap have issues? You should address these issues. Correct imbalances...etc

Swiss Ball Cable Row? Seriously? Why?

Cable pulldown? Do pullups/chinups.

You talk about your calves not being up to par, so I wont say don't do calf stuff. One exercise you might want to try (and if you think it works, keep it) - Jumping Squats with ~30% of your 1 RM.

Anyways. Why write a routine if you need advise on it? Why not just use a routine that's been proven and was written by someone with a lot of experience?

What about doing Front Squats? Would those hurt your back?

Anyways. I'm guessing you wont like my response...but it's the truth.
    Last edited by Xellarz; 02-07-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Wannabe Tank.
    Thanks for your response.

A proven routine in my belief is only any good if it is made specifically for the person. Not a general routine for the masses. Sure they would work but if I can get something tailored for me wouldn't I see better results? I may not be as experienced but I know what parts I need to focus on and when asking multiple people with experience like yourself for example and stating my focus areas, then wouldn't I come out better then from a general program that was written for another?

Also I have previously been doing machine cable rows, so the swiss is simply to change it around a little and if it helps the core then bonus. The traps have constant tightness and pain, this is something that is being worked on outside of the gym and good progress is being made.

When you say more squats are you suggesting more sets or add other variations or both? Not sure what a front Squat is, will look into it.

As for not liking your answer, if you said the program is perfect I would not have thanked you for the response. I come here to learn, not to pretend to know it all. I just want to train as good as I can and to do that I'll take any constructive advice that I get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    They will also be banning weight lifting, so do as much as you can now.

Wannabebig Member
    Personally dude you may get nowhere with that. I mean those isolation exercise don't do much. You need to go for compound like Bench Press, Bent Over Rows, Over Head Press, Deadlifts. Isolation exercises are honestly a waste of time. Your routine is way to complex. Think basic: Push/Pull/Legs

Push:
    Bench Press (Chest, Triceps)
    Military Press (Chest, Triceps, Shoulders)
    Dips (Shoulders, Triceps)

Pull:
    Bent Over Row (Back, Forearm, Bicep)
    Lat Pull Down (Back, Bicep, Shoulders)
    Preacher Curl (Bicep, Forearm)

Legs:
    Squats (Quads, Hams)
    Deadlifts (Hips, Quads, Hamstring, Back)
    Calf Raises (Calfs)

Compound Exercise work mulitple body parts such as the ones above
    Isolation exercises work specific body parts but won't give you results
    You don't need to sets of curls. A curl is a curl. Preacher Curl works Biceps and Forearms in one movement

Trust me dude...any other questions just reply

Email me if you have questions at: Baseballfreak320@yahoo.com

I have learned a ton about weight lifting
    Last edited by Adam M; 02-07-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatoriaN View Post
    Hey people,

I am just about to finish my program and have drawn up a new one and would like to get your thoughts on it. I am about to finish my four day split which was more of a strength building program. It consisted of working each area once per week between 8 - 10 reps for 2 sets.

I have gained a little size from this and upped my strength quite well. However I need to cut back to a three day training program as I am going back to school at night which will cut back some of my time.

I have found it quite hard to write something up for a three day program as there is so much to fit in. I am about 5'11 and weight 80.2kg (176.4 lbs). My electric scales say I'm at about 16.6% BF but I know that they are not the best way to measure, however do give an indication.

I am looking to gain in size now so I have changed my program a little to assist. I will be doing three days as stated but will now be doing 6 - 8 reps for 3 sets. My biceps, triceps, quads and hamstrings are decent, however I struggle with my forearms and calves. I have purposely got specific exercises in the program to help on this area.

My back isn't the best, prior lower back problems and current trap issues tend to prevent me from doing overhead weights and also free weight squats and bent over rows... I have tried my best to incorporate exercises that work these areas but don't cause pain (bad pain not training pain) and discomfort for the following days.

In addition to the program I run 2 times per week for about 15 minutes (very unfit at this point). I am also on a mega gainer which I take in the morning along with a vitamin b group, q10 and fish oil. (protein is in the gainer also)

Please let me know what you think and what you would change etc with it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Day One

Dumbell Bench Press
    Cable Fly Press
    Dumbell Incline Press

Bicep Curls (M/C)
    Barbell Bicep Curl
    Reverse Curl (Cable)

Day Two

Squats (M/C)
    Lying Hamstring Curls
    Leg Extension

Dips
    Cable Tricep Extension (Rope)

Cable Upright Row
    Reverse Fly (M/C)

Day Three

Seated Dumbell Shrug
    Swiss Ball Cable Row
    Cable Pulldown

Calf Raises (M/C)
    Calf Extension (M/C)

Hip Raise (M/C)
    Weighted Swiss Ball Crunch
    What the hell, dude? Youve been here 4 years. Do Starting Strength. It kicks the crap out of every other routine that was suggested in this thread.
    Sarvamangalam!

I was going to suggest SS, as well. Add dips and pullups for a bit of arm work, if you want. 3 days a week, brutally hard and hits the entire body. Done, no changes, no questions, problem solved.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench