The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Hey, fellas - I find chins to be very hard.
    I've been doing Lat-pulldowns since I have started working out...my question is should I continue doing the Lat-pulldowns till I can pulldown my own bodyweight, and then switch to the chins...or should I just drop the pulldowns and work more on the chins...or should I do both???
    Thanks in advance, guys!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Slowly Getting larger
    im just doing bent over bb rows and lat pull downs to strengthen my upper back because i cant do a full chin only several half chins,i do all three in hopes to be able to do full chins someday
    Many things in life will catch your eye,few will catch your heart...Pursue those

Hey, dude - thanks for the post...but you didnt answer my question! LOL

Anyone else?

Wannabebig Member
    I get a better workout on my back doing chins over pulldowns, not sure why but I'd try doing the chins.

Try doing 50 chins, doesn't matter how many sets you do, just do 50 total.
    I also found once I could do 8 in a row, adding some weight realy helped to get my reps up.
    I still use pulldowns to warm up on.

Ther really is no corelation between lat pull downs,and chins.One is a closed chain while the other is a open chain exercise.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I would recommend you do the chins. Doing chin-ups always seemed to be more effective for me. They definitely work the back differently than pulldowns. I believe you work more of the musculature of the back because your lower body is not held in a fixed position. Similar to the difference between free weights and machines. More involvement to stabilize the body.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I used to use pulldowns before I could do chins, but once I built up some strength I started doing chins. If you can do them then screw the pulldowns.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Hardcore, what else?
    Whats the deal with the 50 reps total on chins? I've seen many people talk about them including LP, i just dont know why you wouldnt use a regular set scheme (3x8)??

And another thing is: why not do every other exercise just based on reps and not on given number of total sets? I already know the answer, I just wanna see some replies.

I would stick with chins..

Even though I too cannot to very many I still have noticed a difference in my lats form this exercise, and this is why I am sticking with them and trying to go heavier..

Do you have a spotter when doing these ? If you can get a few extra forced reps out then this may well help you get more each week..

Just stick with them and start your workout with them so you are fresh and strong..

Chins, without a doubt.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

MACHINE
    I agree with hulk. When I first started doing chins regularly a couple years ago, I could only do very few reps on my own, so I would have my workout partner spot me. I'd get 5-6 reps on my own and a few more with some help. I can now do about 15 super strict reps without any help. I would try doing pullups once in a while, but would always become discouraged when I could only do a few. Only when I started doing them regularly, did my reps start increasing and my lats start growing.

Wannabebig Member
    I am actually starting to put these in my back workout. Just like Gino, I would do them every once in a while and get very discouraged cause I could only get a few out. But plan on sticking with them this time around and hopefully get the reps higher and higher.

Just be sure to warm up before doing them. Cause figure if you weigh 180, when was the last time you sat down and started right off with lat pulldowns at 180lbs. But that is basically what you are doing if you don't warm up and stretch before doing chin-ups.

Smokey

The 50 number is one of those arbitrary things, kinda like 20 rep squats. 19 and 21 work just as well, right?

The point is that if your pullup/chin has stalled, the 50's allow you to change your progression a bit, and force your body to adapt.

Normally, we are trying to add one rep, or add weight. REducing the number of sets is another perfectly good way to progress, and 50 reps gives you a nice round number to shoot for, with a reasonable amount of sets.

Now, if you can't do 6 reps or so on your first set, I wouldn't go with that approach. I would try negatives first.

MACHINE
    And as smokey said, warm up before your working sets. I like to do 2 or 3 LIGHT warm ups on the pulldown machine. I put the pin on only 50 or 60 and do a slow controlled set of 15. I'll then increase the weight up to 90-100 and do 10 reps. Remember, these are EASY warmups with weights I could do 50 times. NOW I'm ready for my 3 sets to failure.

The correct answer is both, don't just stick with one excersize, switch it up. I do chins when I'm lean cause I can do 3 sets of 15-20 reps. When I'm nice and plump from bulking I would barely do 10 reps for 3 sets so I do lat pulldowns.

If I had to choose one it would be chins though.
    I'm back, bet most of you don't even know my name!

MACHINE
    Agreed. I actually do them every other week. I do them on weeks that I don't do deadlifts, which I have restricted to every other week. Deadlifts take so much out of me that I find pulldowns to be a better option, since pull ups are so taxing. Sometimes I'll do both deads and pullups, but more often than not I don't do both in the same workout.

What a wuss...
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

MACHINE
    I know, I know...

Well, hey, if you guys couldnt do very many chins before, then I dont feel so bad now I cant do pulldowns (home), so my pathetic chin reps have to suffice for now.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

Alright, guys - thanks for the info.

I will start my back workout with 2 light sets of pulldowns, followed by 3 sets of chin ups. At my gym we have this machine that you place your knees on, and it helps you do chins if you have trouble with them, it's really neat.
    I'll keep you guys posted on how the chins go.

Triple P I beleive your reffering to the Gravatron.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo