The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Your Best PL Meet Prep Tips

I've enrolled for my first ever powerlifting competition at the end of March. I'll be lifting raw in the 165 or 181 divisions.

I've been doing a lot of reading and found some great links, but I wanted to hear from the dudes here at Wannabe Big about some of your ideas too.

Starting Strength Wiki

Best Lifts
    Squat: 350x5
    Mil. Press: 165x5
    Deadlift: 455x1

BW: 177

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Iron4Life
    Check out this thread on what to pack:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=118704

Have fun at your 1st comp...

Nice!! Thank you!
    Starting Strength Wiki

Best Lifts

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    1. Your openers should be a weight that you can do for an easy three.
    2. Avoid max singles 1-week before competition
    3. Take a week off before the meet
    4. It's not how you start, but how you finish the meet
    5. Bring a cooler with you full of H20, fruit, snacks,etc.

Good luck with your meet and post your results(pic,videos,etc).
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

Quote Originally Posted by NASAKYCHAIRMAN View Post
    I'm competing in March too. I was planning on opening with 315 on my squat, that I can do for sure, but only for one rep. Should I open with 275 or something, then go to 315, then 325 (my current 1RM)?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverName View Post
    I'm competing in March too. I was planning on opening with 315 on my squat, that I can do for sure, but only for one rep. Should I open with 275 or something, then go to 315, then 325 (my current 1RM)?
    If it was me, I like going something like:
    1 - easy opener
    2 - small PR
    3 - big PR.

so in your case something like,
    345/350

If you dial in your training right, stay well fed and hydrated meet day, and plan your warmups and attempts right you can be very suprised with what you hit.

But again, that is just how I have done it in my very short PL/SM career. Take it for what you will.

EDIT - your max will likely go up as you continue to train, so have a day where you test your opener a week or two out and then reevaluate from there if need be.
    Last edited by Reko; 02-09-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Bloat. Hard.
    Roll Tide.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    Bloat. Hard.
    Great advice is great.

if it's your first contest, don't bother dropping any weight. Stick to the 181s.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Monster is your friend. It took me about 4 cans to make it through my first meet, it was about 8 or 9 hours long.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    Monster is your friend. It took me about 4 cans to make it through my first meet, it was about 8 or 9 hours long.
    what's the average time for a 3 lift meet ? Im entering my first one in late March
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by EatMyWay2TheTop View Post
    what's the average time for a 3 lift meet ? Im entering my first one in late March
    Not sure, as it varies depending on how many people are competing. But pretty much be prepared to spend the whole day there. The last meet I went to was Push/Pull and it was still like 5 or 6 hours.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Not sure, as it varies depending on how many people are competing. But pretty much be prepared to spend the whole day there. The last meet I went to was Push/Pull and it was still like 5 or 6 hours.
    I didnt expect it to be that long. Also how much time between each attempts ? I guess it is prettu much different every meet but what's the shortest and longest time you've seen ?
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

Banned
    Also to the OP if it is your first meet, don't be overly concerned with PRs and numbers but rather meet experience. This is especially true if you are not used to the judging, pausing, holding lockouts, etc. Just somethign to consider.

Great advice so far.As stated above,if your 177 now,lift in the 181# class,and try get as close to 181(not over) as you can.

Do have have a mentor,or someone that can travel with you to help for the day? Or maybe a group of you are lifting together at the meet?

Lots of rest before the big day.Best of luck and have fun.Any chance your lifting in Omaha for this meet??

Ryan Hale

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hale View Post
    Do have have a mentor,or someone that can travel with you to help for the day? Or maybe a group of you are lifting together at the meet?
    This is great advice too. Having someone with you, even if they don't know anything about powerlifting, is a good idea. If it wasn't for my buddies who came with me to my first meet, I would've completely forgot to submit my second squat attempt weight.
    My Training Log

Great advice so far.As stated above,if your 177 now,lift in the 181# class,and try get as close to 181(not over) as you can.
    I was cutting anyway, albeit pretty slowly, and this was my primary goal before learning of the meet. My success in the meet will have to be contingent on my cut. Perhaps for my 2nd meet I will base my training and diet exclusively for the meet.

Basically, as Reko suggested, I'm doing this for the experience (and some PR's). I'm not in it to win it. I just want to have a good time.

Maybe. There's only one person I consider to be competent enough to be my handler. I've asked her to go with me and she has to clear with her job first. None of my other friends even exercise, let alone powerlift, and are all big-time slacker pot-heads. If she can't go, I don't think I could get anyone else to go with me who I trust to do all the running around.

Lots of rest before the big day.Best of luck and have fun.Any chance your lifting in Omaha for this meet??

Ryan Hale
    Wish I was, lol. It'll be in Cleveland. Thanks and good luck to you too Ryan.
    Last edited by Bango Skank; 02-09-2009 at 11:47 AM.
    Starting Strength Wiki

Best Lifts

Quote Originally Posted by NASAKYCHAIRMAN View Post
    2. Avoid max singles 1-week before competition
    3. Take a week off before the meet
    4. It's not how you start, but how you finish the meet
    5. Bring a cooler with you full of H20, fruit, snacks,etc.

Good luck with your meet and post your results(pic,videos,etc).
    Good stuff. I will at least be posting pics.

Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan View Post
    if it's your first contest, don't bother dropping any weight. Stick to the 181s.
    Well, I'm cutting anyways, and this was my plan even before learning of the meet, but I don't intend to do anything drastic to make 165. I'm not taking fat burners or anything. If I sign up as 181 and get weighed at 165, do I still have to lift at 181?

Wow, long time! Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    EDIT - your max will likely go up as you continue to train, so have a day where you test your opener a week or two out and then reevaluate from there if need be.
    I'm hearing that I should do no training a week out, and that I can test my openers a week out. Which is ideal? I've also read that I can do some light technique work a week out, with, say, 135#.

Another question; I don't train bench press. I train weighted dips and standing presses. How and when should I go about finding a target weight for my bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Also to the OP if it is your first meet, don't be overly concerned with PRs and numbers but rather meet experience. This is especially true if you are not used to the judging, pausing, holding lockouts, etc. Just somethign to consider.
    From what I've heard of others experiences this is very sound advice. I will definitely work below my capacity. I'm not entirely sure what my capacity is, which is why I ask about testing my openers, but I should be able to safely squat 405# and Deadlift 500#, though I've never done either. Should I be testing those weights as well, and if so, when?
    Starting Strength Wiki

Best Lifts

O.k.,as of now,and I know your 6-7 weeks away,what are you thinking for openers? I realize this can change,but you must have some idea right?

What is the most you've walked out of the squat rack with,350 if I'm reading things right? But you want a 405,or think you can do that much? You have to remember that you need to be comfortable with x amount of weight on your back.

I think you need to be working on heavy triples and doubles as you get closer on all three lifts.This will help you adjust better to having a heavy load on your body.

And again,Omaha meet? I'll be there if you need any sort of help.

Ryan Hale

Sorry dude,we posted at the same time.Your lifting in Cleveland.

Best of luck,and we all really mean that.We hope you do well,have fun.Just want you to be the best prepared for it.

Get working on the bench.Sometimes a lift off is a huge plus,and we try to use the same guys to lift off as we get comfy with them.

Ryan Hale

O.k.,as of now,and I know your 6-7 weeks away,what are you thinking for openers? I realize this can change,but you must have some idea right?
    If it were held today 405# would be a stretch. If my current routine goes as planned I will hit 367x5, 9 days before the meet. I guess I would open with 382, then attempt 405, then attempt (based on the 405), 413.

I think you need to be working on heavy triples and doubles as you get closer on all three lifts.This will help you adjust better to having a heavy load on your body.
    Again, the meet results will have to defer to my cut and present training routine. I'd rather make a lesser attempt than change my training. If you think I'm reaching with my goals, I will lower my attempts. I'll take ego out of the equation.

And again,Omaha meet? I'll be there if you need any sort of help.

Ryan Hale
    Again, I wish I were. It'd be good to know someone there and you've been a great help so far.
    Starting Strength Wiki

Best Lifts

As stated above,a great rule of thumb is to open with a lift you can do 3x.So start your opener with something you have done before for 3x,not by guessing.You want to hit all your opening lifts,not bomb.
    I.E.,so your opener of 380,you need to make sure you can triple that.Some lifters just lose all confidence when those weights get higher on their back.Their beat before they even try it.
    Also on the weight thing.As people,when we lose weight,we lose strength,it just how it works for us.That is why you see PL's always trying to put weight on,or staying the same in some situations.Weight gain when liftng equals greater feats in lifting.

Ask away,I'm glad to help.There are so many awesome lifters on this site who are smart,and like to help others.

Ryan Hale

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bango Skank View Post
    Another question; I don't train bench press. I train weighted dips and standing presses. How and when should I go about finding a target weight for my bench?
    Anyone catch this? Start benching now. Make sure you get your technique hammered out. You'll need to practice pausing as well. Only from benching will you be able to determine your attempts.
    Last edited by Chris Rodgers; 02-09-2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

I sure did Chris.

Here is from page 1 on one of my replies.

Get working on the bench

Ryan Hale

Banned
    also, the weights you "should" be able to hit, but have not attempted, should NOT be your opener. those are saved for 2nd and 3rd attempts.