The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Tae-bo for cardio?

Has anyone ever tried Tae-bo? I've been thinking about using it for a cardio workout instead of doing the mind-numbing elliptical machine (good workout, but boring as hell). This seems like a good cardio workout and it looks like it would be great for increasing flexibility and balance. I was considering taking a kick-boxing class but think this might be a little more fast paced and fun.

The only problem is, if i DO decide to do Tae-bo it'll have to wait a few months until i move into my new apartment. My place right now is just too small. Unless, of course, i can find a class at a gym (my gym doesn't offer it).

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I love all of my TaeBo tapes, I highly recomend them

Don't let Billy in spandex scare you away, they really are fun too!

I've tried the videos a couple of times. It's a great cardio workout.

Go to a kickboxing class. It's too easy to hit the stop button on a VCR. In class you will be pushed and get 10 times the workout you would on your own.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

tae-bo is still around?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    It might be good for your heart but not your heterosexuality.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by nejar462
    ahahahahahahaha

Originally posted by nejar462
    Ouch. Kickboxing it is!

Originally posted by Cue-Ball
    Ouch. Kickboxing it is!
    You aren't going to do it because someone online made a gay comment about it? hrmm...

Notice the wink.

That comment will have no effect on whether or not i try it. The positive comments at the beginning of the thread definitely sway me toward trying it. It looks like a lot of fun and a good cardio workout. My biggest problem is finding a place to do it. I'm hoping that when i move in two months i'll have enough room to do TaeBo in my living room. If that doesn't work out, i'll either have to take a kickboxing class, sign up for martial arts, or keep using the elliptical machine. I'd prefer TaoBo because that way my fiance and i can both do it, and i can have two less days in the gym each week.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar
    To answer you question, Tae Bo is GREAT cardio. Agree with the poster who said go to a class, where you'll be pushed. Disagree with the comment about your masculinity.

One of the major factors in the college I went to was that until the 60's it was a girls college, then went co-ed. When I got there in the late 70's the girl/guy ratio was about 2/1. Get my drift?? You won't likely find a lot of other guys in the Tae Bo Class, they'll be kickboxing.

Good cardio...nice ratio of gals/guys! Have fun!

BTW, I am a martial artist. That CAN be good cardio, but normally, I'd say you have to do other cardio to keep up with the martial art. If you're really interested in the martial arts, try some. If you're really just looking for a "less boring" cardio workout, Tae Bo can be extremely challenging, and a much better cardio workout than most martial arts.
    Last edited by JohnCollins; 04-08-2002 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks for the great comments, JC. I'm definitely going to look for a TaeBo class to join. Hopefully i can find something, at least after i move.

I used to take a martial arts class looooong ago and i distinctly remember doing wall sits and standing long jumps until my legs were ready to fall off. Not great cardio, but definitely a workout!
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

just look for sinbad.
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

Wannabebig Member
    JC and Cue-ball couldn't be more right.

Go to a Tae-Bo or Bag-punching class and you'll get a great workout without all the bruises and joint-pains regular kickboxing and Taekwondo will give you.

I'm into shootfighting bigtime, and the only 'cardio' we do in class is running around the mat for 5 minutes, jumping and squatting, running backwards, stretching etc ... The next 1 1/2 hour is spent grappling, throwing, kicking etc ... it's exhausting, but not to the extent Tae-Bo can be. The 'exhaustion' is mostly caused by the fact that you have to be at your guard almost constantly, thereby preventing you to go 'all out' to fatigue your body.

There's also the risk of injury: Make one false move, twist an ankle, crack a wrist, pull a neck muscle, ... and you won't be training for a long time! (been there).

Another tip: stand in the back of the class when they do squat kicks .. you'll be hooked in one class!
    Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue ...