Thread: New To Lifting. Couple Quik Questions. Looking For Some Guidance.

Wannabebig New Member

New To Lifting. Couple Quik Questions. Looking For Some Guidance.

I am somewhat new to lifting. Ive been lifting for the past 3 months. Mixing weights and about 45-60 mins of cardio also. I can already see gains in my lifting and a larger frame. I can't seem to cut body fat though. My diet consists of about 4-6 small meals a day. I just started taking hydroxycut. I work out about 5 times a week. I take protein after a workout and eat shortly there after.

Basically I am going for 6-8% body fat. Any supplements that have worked for you? Anything to change/add to my workout routine?

Also, with a good workout routine and good diet, how much body fat should I expect to lose each month?

I am 6'1" and about 180lbs and 16% body fat.

Thanks, I appreciate all the help and guidance.

It sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Let's take a look at every factor within your overall program and break things down to make sure that you have the most effective regimen in place.

Training:
    Weight Training should be 3 times per week - Two upper body days and one lower body day. Circuit training works well for new trainees and try to incorporate a variation of machines and free weights. Cardio 3-4 times per week. 30-45 minute sessions would work best for Fat Loss, including a 5 minute warmup. Interval training would be most effective and variation is important so be sure to switch up the equipment frequently. Since you are going to the gym 5 times per week I would do 2 days weight training, 1 day weights / cardio, and 2 days just cardio.

Diet:
    Eating smaller portions is a good place to start, but what is more important is what you are eating - not just that you have broken things up thoughout the day. Focus on low glycemic index, high fiber, low sugar carbohydrates, whole foods, lean meats, nuts, moderate amounts of dairy, etc. (plenty of info in the Diet & Nutrition section of this board).

Supplements:
    Hydroxycut is caffeine based and will work as a stimulant to help you though your workouts and to maintain energy levels while dieting. Do not expect it to create any drastic decreases in bodyfat or changes in body composition as a stand-alone, but use it as a tool to help you along. All stimulants should be purchased based on a cost/reliablity factor as none of them will be substantially more effective than others.

Protein / MRP shakes - hopefully you are drinking a shake after each weight training session and taking in enough protein daily. Post-workout is a crucial time for muscle recovery and protein uptake, you will want a high quality protein source within about 30 minutes of training. It is important to try to get 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight everyday if you are looking to build muscle. I would suggest a shake called Opticen by AtLarge Nutrition which you can find here: www.atlargenutrition.com it is a balanced protein shake with high quality protein (mostly whey isolates), a vitamin complex, optimal macronutrient ratio, and good taste / mixability. A good way to utilize these shakes would be to drink one full shake after each weight training session and on off days have a shake between breakfast / lunch to support recovery, energy, and metabolism.

Goals:
    Your bodyfat goals are going to take quite some time to achieve. I am not sure that many people realize what being a 6-8% bodyfat is really like. Most people look "lean" around 10-12% and that is easy to maintain year round. Unless you are an endurance athlete and on a very strict regimen it would be challenging to maintain under 8% for extended periods of time. Bodybuilders generally spend about 25% of their time at or under 10% and the rest of the year are above that number. For now I would set smaller short term goals associated with your lifts, endurance, bodyweight, etc. Another good idea would be to take photos of yourself every week or two so that you can track your progress. Having realistic and defined goals will help to motivate and encourage you along the way.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions but there is a lot of great information on this forum if you search around a little bit...
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com