Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got owned in the gym today

Banned

I got owned in the gym today

I always seem to make good gains when I switch my routine up every 8 weeks or so. So I was on bill starr's 5x5 for 8 weeks...got past many of my plateaus. I decided to do starting strength this week. Monday went fine..pretty much the same as Bill Starr's. However, today I had to add military press to my regimen. HOLY ****. I got absolutely destroyed by them. I have never done them before so I started with just the bar first. That felt nice and easy obviously...so I figured ill put a 25 on each side. Um...I could barely do 5...my shoulders felt like they were going to explode with all the blood flowing through them. Thats only 95 pounds...I felt like a huge NOOB.

Mind you, my max bench press is 285 and I am on 250 for my 5x5...

So I guess lesson learned today is: bench press strength has nothing to do with military press strength . Hopefully it is vice versa though.

Banned
    somebody found a weakness...

I hear you there. I never did a standing oh press before until I did starting strength. Most I ever did was 30lb bells for a seated press so I started out pretty low with them. They are tough to progress on also.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    I am very glad I found a weakness...more motivation now.

Wannabebig Member
    Plus the motion is different your going to use more balance, and its a smaller muscle group.

If you are benching 250 x 5 you will increase your ohp fast. Just don't give up and realize some pain is involved. At least they always feel uncomfortable to me.
    Check out my journal:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=117073

Goal To be the Strongest Huggins! - started again on 2/24/11 then again 2/27/12
    squat: 420 405 x 5
    bench: 355 320 x 3
    deadlift: 455 420 x 3
    Total 1215 on a single day

You're lucky you haven't been hurt with such a huge imbalance between your bench and OHP. I'd really focus on overhead movements for the next couple of months.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Banned
    I was a pitcher for 5 years in college...the trainers would NOT let us do overhead movements. This is probably why there is such a huge imbalance.

I love the standing military press. I love the pain from it. I find it's the hardest to progress in too, I've been stuck at 115lbs. for quite a while now, and the slightest increase makes a huge difference.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    They should help to boost your bench... Pretty quickly too, I'd imagine...

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    I love the standing military press. I love the pain from it. I find it's the hardest to progress in too, I've been stuck at 115lbs. for quite a while now, and the slightest increase makes a huge difference.
    My bench is very low. My current 5x5 is 180.

However, I just yesterday I did 5,5,5,4,4 with 120 for my OHP.

I don't use any leg at all, but I do know that my back helps out. When the bar gets about half way up my back is arched and I feel it on my back.

The reason why I bring this up is because I don't know if I'm in or out of balance on my bench/ohp ratio. If I'm out of balance it makes me wonder if I'm cheating with my back or if it is normal for the back to participate quite a bit in OHP?

Banned
    I am not sure if you're cheating with your back or not...all my experience from these presses is watching the mark rippetoe videos..

I doubt you are out of proportion though...I think my differences are just HUGE because I wasnt familiar with the movement. I am sure I will be doing 135+ in no time...

This makes me think that gym strength doesnt apply to real life strength. The bench and press are similar movements...I should have been able to do more.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 02-12-2009 at 06:23 PM.

I do seated military presses. 4x5 starting with 135 ending at 155. These are rediculous and feel weak every time I do them because they hurt so much. But, they are also amazing and make you look like a monster. Idk if it help bench though because I have never done one and not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by teeroy View Post

I don't use any leg at all, but I do know that my back helps out. When the bar gets about half way up my back is arched and I feel it on my back.

The reason why I bring this up is because I don't know if I'm in or out of balance on my bench/ohp ratio. If I'm out of balance it makes me wonder if I'm cheating with my back or if it is normal for the back to participate quite a bit in OHP?

Keep your abs tight the entire lift and your back won't arch.

I am a huge fan of the standing ohp. I think It is one of the contributing factors to my raw bench. I did an ohp comp back in December with the APA. It was a blast. Just an FYI, I was using Wendler's 5-3-1 program in training prior to that lift.

Video
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 02-12-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    My OH press increased after doing 30 lbs in 30 days bench and that included no OH pressing.

is SERIOUS!
    Oh wow! Luckily you didn't get injured though. I was doing my military press today but, I only increased 5lbs in every set. Had only 5 sets to do but the 25's are actually pretty hard.
    My age: 16
    My weight: 185lbs
    Deadlift: 265lbs
    Benchpress: 145lbs
    Squat: 135lbs

Wannabebig New Member
    I think you take right decision for yourself. They will teach you all exercise with great machines.

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Keep your abs tight the entire lift and your back won't arch.
    Thats a good one, haven't thought of that!
    I was worried that as you increase the weight, arching your back could seriously mess you up. It might not, but I'd rather not take that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I am a huge fan of the standing ohp. I think It is one of the contributing factors to my raw bench. I did an ohp comp back in December with the APA. It was a blast. Just an FYI, I was using Wendler's 5-3-1 program in training prior to that lift.

Video
    Damn strong Vincent!!! Wow!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Read: somebody found an opportunity for growth!
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Ernie Batson
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post

Video

Damn strong is right. I just want to be able to bench that much one day.

mchicia1 I feel your pain. I can bench over 300 and still can't OHP 135 for reps. I am working on it though.
    Last edited by BigBatz; 02-13-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    You can be pitiful or powerful CHOOSE.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBatz View Post
    Damn strong is right. I just want to be able to bench that much one day.

mchicia1 I feel your pain. I can bench over 300 and still can't OHP 135 for reps. I am working on it though.
    I can't bench 300+ but can OHP 135 for reps...

I'd rather be benching 300+
    Last edited by fpr; 02-13-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teeroy View Post

IMHO...Arching your back is ok when doing bench press bring your shoulder blades in and keep you feet planted.

Where are you having probelm with your bench?

At the bottom or top? If it at the bottom your shoulder are week and you need to work them, if it is towards the top then your tris are week and you need to work them....

Quote Originally Posted by AWare72 View Post
    IMHO...Arching your back is ok when doing bench press bring your shoulder blades in and keep you feet planted.

Where are you having probelm with your bench?

At the bottom or top? If it at the bottom your shoulder are week and you need to work them, if it is towards the top then your tris are week and you need to work them....
    Arching your back is fine during a bench press (as long as your ass stays on the bench). He was referring to arching his back during an OHP.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576