The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    9/29/2010

Cycle 2, Week 2

OHP

barx10x2
    70x3
    80x3
    95x12 (Oops)

57x10x5

Shrugs

160x10x5

Superset

H-Rolls - 10lbs x 12x5
    BB Curls - 45lbs x 10x5

I was really bummed out when I only hit 12 on the OHP. I was shooting for 14+ because last cycle I hit 13 at my prescribed weight. However, when I was taking the weight off the bar I noticed I had an extra 5lbs on.

90x13x.0333+90 = 129

95x12x.0333+95 = 132

PR!!

The back is killing be today. I could barely put my shoes and socks on this morning. I can't believe those air squats affected it so much yesterday. I guess it is going to be lunges and upper body work for a while.

I was drained on energy yesterday and somewhat the day before so I did a refeed at a pizza/pasta buffet last night. Feel better today. It had been 8 days since my last refeed. I'll try to stick to less than 50g carbs/day until I start vacation on the 6th. That is another 8 days.

I love those kinds of mistakes.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I love those kinds of mistakes.
    Yeah, definitely a good one. 95 was my prescribed weight for next week. Do you think I should stick with 95 or bump it up to 100?

Nice effort!

I had this happen before. If it were me, I'd repeat the prescribed weight for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    I'd repeat the prescribed weight for next week.
    I agree. Go for a rep PR.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by teeroy View Post
    Yeah, definitely a good one. 95 was my prescribed weight for next week. Do you think I should stick with 95 or bump it up to 100?
    Nice effort!

I had this happen before. If it were me, I'd repeat the prescribed weight for next week.
    I agree. Go for a rep PR.
    Cool, thanks guys. Next week its on!!!

10/1/2010

Superset

Lunge 40lb x 10/leg x 10 x 5
    90lb sled drag 240ft

Fatman Chin Up 4,4,4,4,3

More leg workout to spare the ailing back. Lunges were easier than last week so I do feel like I'm putting on some mass in my legs while waiting for the back to heal. Better than nothing and will hopefully have some carry over.

Was at 255 even today. That is 9.4lbs since starting low carb with weekly refeeds and 2lbs in the last 4 days. Last week I had a big drop after the refeed and then it popped up a pound and then started dropping again so it wouldn't surprise me if I popped up to 256 then started dropping again. I'm happy with my progress. I'm walking around starving all the time but I'm getting used to that so it isn't quite as bad. I am getting a little bored with the food but seeing the results on the scale helps with that.

Excellent job on the weight loss! Are you counting calories too or just cycling the carbs? Your weight will vary, sometimes a lot, while dieting. Hidden/extra sodium in food creates havoc on the scale for me.

I used fitday to create some templates based on the foods that I'm eating. Right now it is a limited set of food.

Protein shake before and after workout (I workout at 5:30am)
    Protein meal for lunch (chicken or eggs or pork)
    Protein plus veggies for dinner (chicken or eggs or pork (sometimes red meat) + mixed veggies)
    Protein shake for dinner

I don't weigh or measure the food but I know how much I can eat at lunch and dinner to stay within my calorie target which is 1800-2000. I have a very slow metabolism. In that sense I am counting calories and cycling the carbs. Although I'm not really doing much cycling. I'm at < 50g carbs per day for 6-8 days with one refeed meal on the 6th or 8th day. Also, my carbs are mainly from the shakes and I take the bulk of my shakes right before and after workout which I think helps.

10/2/2010

Cycle 2, Week 3

Bench

135x5
    145x5
    165x10

100x10x5

Superset

DB Row 52.5lbs x 12 x 5
    Skull Crusher 17.5 x 10 x 5

Superset

Face Pull Orange band + monster mini x 15 x 5
    H-Roll 10lbs x 12 x 5

BBB bench assistance still went up easy even though I raised another 5 lbs. The other assitance was very taxing, though, so I'll probably stick with the same next time except maybe move the face pulls up another 5 reps.

One thing I've noticed on BBB is I think I'm getting a little sloppy on my form. It is hard to keep tight for 10 reps but I think I can do better if I focus a little harder.

Yea, my metabolism is trash too.....oh I meant efficient. I see guys on here with sub-200# bodyweight eating 4000 calories a day and can't gain an ounce. I can hardly believe it.

BTW: Good benching and I like the supersets that you are doing.

Thanks man. I like doing the supersets so I can get through it quicker. Not that I don't like working out, but by the time I factor in warm up, then the work out, then stretching afterwards I'm well over an hour. So anything I can do to speed it up. And I just picked up a book on what exercices to do for pattela femoral syndrome so I'll be adding in some of those exercices as well. I'll probably be well over an hour and a half at that point. Sure hope these exercies work for my knee so I can get in some running and start playing some sports again.

I know, I couldn't imagine eating 4K+ calories a day and not gaining weight. That would be so nice cuz I LOVE food!!!

Solid work man, good weigh ins too. People who eat 4000 calories, man I envy them, haha. I'm counting the days until I can carb cycle again, I want my pepperoni and cheese damnit!
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Solid work man, good weigh ins too. People who eat 4000 calories, man I envy them, haha. I'm counting the days until I can carb cycle again, I want my pepperoni and cheese damnit!
    Thanks Mark. This is the first time I've done carb cycling although I'm not in much of a cycle in that I'm straight low carb for 6-8 days and then do a single refeed meal to carb up for the next 6-8 days. I will say that I like it and could see me living a lifestyle like this which would be good for me because I can pretty much look at carbs and gain weight. I like knowing that I have an upcoming splurge meal as it makes it easier to deal with the day-by-day low carb boringness.

10/4/2010

Patella Rehab

Active Hamstring Stretch 2x5
    Cross over stretch 2x5
    Kneeling Hip Flexor Strecth 2x5
    Knee Wiggles 2x20

Side Lying Leg Lift 1x8
    Basic Bridging 0x8 (accidently skipped this one)
    Core Engaged Leg Lift 1x6
    Trunk Rotations 1x8
    Lateral Elastic Band Walks (orang band) 2x7/leg

Single leg balance 0x5 (accidently skipped this one)

Strength

Superset

Split Lunge 10x5 / leg
    Fatman Chin Up 4,4,4,4,4

Man, I don't know if it is because I got 2-3 hours less sleep than usual thanks to the damn dog or if it is because I did the patella rehap first, but the split squats were extra brutal today. It is a couple of extra hours afterwards now and I can still barely stand up. I think I may do my patella rehab on upper body days so I can focus on strength on lower body days.

Weighed in at 253.4 today so still heading down. Was a little worried because we went to the pumpkin patch yesterday and I was quite a bit over my alloted calories. Mostly stayed away from the carbs, though. Just a little apple cider. It sucked watching everyone walk around with apple pie, pumpkin pie, and ice cream. Oh well, I would have regretted that 5 minutes of pleasure for days afterwards.

Heading to DC from CA on the 6th and then back to CA on the 7th. Then to SF on the 9th and then to HI on the 10th for 2 weeks. So I have lots of travel and vacation coming up. Going to try to be a good low carb boy. I'll pack lots of Novus bars with me for some good low carb, high protein snacks.

The weight is just falling off of you!!!

I'd use the trip time to rehab your back and recovery. Speaking of that, did you decide to get a belt?

That's a bunch of traveling. Have fun, and if you can't stay strict on the diet, do some extra walking around to make up for it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

That's the kind of cycle I run. 6 days minimal carbs with a good refeed. It's always worked out really well for me. Planning on running it again soon. Work looks good, vacation sounds damn fine.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

The weight is just falling off of you!!!

I'd use the trip time to rehab your back and recovery. Speaking of that, did you decide to get a belt?
    Yeah, I ordered one from APT but they are on backorder so I won't have it until after vacation. I ordered a dipping belt attachment too for pulling the sled.

Definitely looking forward to the back being well after vacation. It feels really good right now and it was hard to not pull today because it is suppose to be deadlift day but I decided to make sure it is fully recovered and hit it when I get back from vacation.

That's a bunch of traveling. Have fun, and if you can't stay strict on the diet, do some extra walking around to make up for it.
    I'd like to hit the hotel gym at least two days a week. According to their web site all they have are dumbells and if they are like most hotels they probably only go up to 35lbs. So I'm thinking I'll run through a full body cycle with the 35lbs to get a full body workout those two days. The other days I'll be snorkeling and swimming all day so I should burn lots of calories doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    That's the kind of cycle I run. 6 days minimal carbs with a good refeed. It's always worked out really well for me. Planning on running it again soon. Work looks good, vacation sounds damn fine.
    It definitely seems like a good program. Normally when I eat carbs my body craves more carbs so I was worried about the refeeds but I don't seem to crave carbs the next day so I'm happy with that.

10/5/2010

Cycle 2, Week 4

OHP

barx10x2
    75x5
    85x3
    95x14 +2PR

58x10x5

Shrugs

165x10x5

Superset

H-Roll 10x12x5
    BB Curl 45x10x5

Very happy with the +2PR on top of the oops I had last week with loading the wrong weight. I did have a little bit of twinginess on my back after that last set but it went away after a few minutes. Just a little reminder that it still has some healing to do. Glad I decided to hold back on the squats and pulls this week because I really, really wanted to do those.

Tons of reps on the press...I bet you were pumped up.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Killer reps on that final set.

Tons of reps on the press...I bet you were pumped up.
    Killer reps on that final set.
    Thanks guys. It felt good. My shoulders were pumped and I was mentally pumped.

Getting prepared for my vacation and debating on whether to bring my supps. I'll bring my multi's and fish oil for sure, but debating on whether to bring my creatine, beta-alanine, and ETS (microlactin). The latest consensus seems to be that you don't really need to cycle creatine (and I would assume therefore beta-alanine). It also seems that most people don't think you need to load it anymore which means that I should be fine just starting it back up when I get back. So I'm leaning towards not bringing creatine or beta-alanine. Microlactin seems to be a different story for me. It seems like it takes about 7-10 days to feel the benefits so I'm a little on the fence on this one.

I just found out that when I get back I'll most likely be heading down to San Jose for 4-8 weeks. It is about a 3-4 hour drive from Sac which is nice that I can drive it but far enough that I'll have to stay in a hotel and come back on the weekends. That means commercial gym lifting during the week. Ugh! That also means that I'll be trying my new belt in the gym. Not really a big deal, but it would have been nice to try it out at home first so I don't look like a total dork using it the first time, LOL.

It also means I may have to switch up my workout days because I won't be able to work out on Mondays due to travel in the morning. That sucks because I like the Mon/Tue/Wed/Fri routine. Oh well, life is about adjustments.

Some people prefer to cycle off supps except for vitamins during their vacations. My old coach said it'd be fine either way. I'd guess it really just depends on what you're taking and if it's recommended to be cycled on and off to give you a break.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May