The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is this squat deep enough?

My squat sucks butt anyways, but now I'm worried it sucks and isn't deep enough. So is this deep enough? If you happen to have comments on the execution of the lift that's ok too.

Video
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You're shaving it just a little high. It would pass in some meets, but others it definitely would not.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I have no meet experience, at all, but I thought it was high. Is there a bench availalble that's low? If so, squat to that or make a box.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    It's high, ie the crease of the hip is above the top of the knee.

its a little high,. Also i believe you would be able to lift more if you started the lift by setting back in the lift.

Meaning from the video the first thing that moves on the way down is you bend your knees and this cause you to lean a little forward and cant hit low enough. try sitting down with the weight as if there was a chair you were sitting in,

do what RB trout said either use a bench or make you a box, i made my box for 12 bucks and took me 20 minutes.
    want to total elite in my first meet

2009 goals
    bench 500
    squat 900
    deadlift 700

all RAW

Also, attempt to cut to the 308 weight class

slightly above parallel.
    APF ELITE @220- 1887
    APF ELITE @198- 1785
    GODS ARMYUNDEFEATED.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lenny00spero
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DJserrano2121

Looks fine to me.
    Roll Tide.

Its high. when i wasnt getting deep enough i took about 50% of my 1rm max at the time and squat as low as i physically could a few times just to get an idea of what it feels like and to get myself in the habit. Also if your having trouble getting lower find some stretches for you hamstrings.

Wannabebig Member
    High

Good in the APF haha.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Habingus
    Probably fine anywhere but the IPF.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
    Probably fine anywhere but the IPF.
    Even then...

Video
    Roll Tide.

So it seems like I'm close, but should try and go a smidge deeper to play it safe. That's about what I thought, but wanted some more experienced eyes to check for me. I've been doing box squats, and do them without any problems. I just can't seem to feel/find that depth properly when I take it away.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Habingus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    So it seems like I'm close, but should try and go a smidge deeper to play it safe. That's about what I thought, but wanted some more experienced eyes to check for me. I've been doing box squats, and do them without any problems. I just can't seem to feel/find that depth properly when I take it away.
    Sounds like you should stay away from box squatting for a while, nothing wrong with squatting without one.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

Wannabebig Member
    I don't really understand how anyone would say this should pass in any fed...

it is clearly high... even if you take in account its hard to see top of the knee and the hip crease with those clothes on...

Quote Originally Posted by dbcb314 View Post

it is clearly high... even if you take in account its hard to see top of the knee and the hip crease with those clothes on...

I think the crease is lower, but I could be wrong.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Just because it is clearly high does not mean it won't pass. If you think so, you haven't been to many meets.

I like the visual - hopefully it will help the OP see what we are talking about.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Slightly high, not brutal, i've seen much worse.
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 194 lbs - PR: 220
    Raw Squat: 315 - PR: 405
    Raw Press: 325 - PR: 365
    Raw Dead: 365 - PR: 445

Total: 1005 (1205) * All gym records.

My Journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=121117

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    I think the crease is lower, but I could be wrong.
    it could be a tad lower, its hard to see because of the grainy video and dark pants that bunch up

but it isn't much lower and the top of the knee may be a little lower as well.

Not going to change the fact it is high though

Dingus---I'm only using a box for speed squats right now. I don't do heavy box squats, I usually do a pin squat, or regular squat. Your tip does make me think I should start to do heavy box squats though. It may help me get a better feel for how it feels to have max weight at proper depth.

dbcb314---Thanks for the visual. It is hard to tell for sure with gym clothes on where certain points are. I agree with bill that the crease is a little lower, but not much, and it is still too high either way.

Sensei---haha, you make a good point. As long as I set a good precedent with a nice deep opener, maybe I'll get the benefit of the doubt later if I cut it close.

RonnyB---I just watched the vid of Mike Miller in another thread, and I don't feel so bad about my depth now. lol
    My Journal

it could be a tad lower, its hard to see because of the grainy video and dark pants that bunch up

but it isn't much lower and the top of the knee may be a little lower as well.

Not going to change the fact it is high though
    Do you even know what a high squat is? The squat in question is fine. Maybe it wouldn't get passed in some meets. But at almost any meet it would pass.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    Sensei---haha, you make a good point. As long as I set a good precedent with a nice deep opener, maybe I'll get the benefit of the doubt later if I cut it close.
    I always made sure my first squat was very deep. It's a good strategy.

Go to 2:45 and watch Dave's squats. Those are high.

Video
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    Do you even know what a high squat is? The squat in question is fine. Maybe it wouldn't get passed in some meets. But at almost any meet it would pass.
    Kars,

It would never pass at any meet with sanctioned referees!

Kenny Croxdale