Thread: Squat and deadlift suit shopping, questions

Squat and deadlift suit shopping, questions

I have found that I have a better squat with a fairly wide stance. What would be the best squat suit for this? I havent been in a suit in a long time.
    This is a picture from almost 10 years ago, lol. (my wife didnt account for the delay in the camera, this is on the way up with 600 if it was my final lift) My stance is alittle wider than this now

And here is my width on my deadlift. It is the same as this picture. What do you recommend for this?

I borrow these suits from a friend, and that day was the first day with them on.
    Last edited by PWR; 02-14-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Will you be competing single or multi-ply? Also, if your stance is just a little wider, I am not sure that would qualify as a wide stance.

For multiply, on the deadlift I would go with the Metal King Pro Deadlifter. I use a Metal Ace Pro Squatter, but also here great things about the Titan Boss. I dont use single ply gear but I hear Titan makes the best gear.

I would also look at getting a flat soled shoe. Those cross trainers are no good to squat and pull in.

if single ply, titan centurion all the way. The suit kicks ass. you can get it for narrow or wide stance. but like ehubbard said, a little wider than that is not really a wide stance. post a new pic of your stance squatting and deadlifting. you don't have to be doing a lot of weight. just slap a plate on each side and take a picture so we can see whether you should go with the wide or regular suit.
    Weight: 160 (148lb class)
    Height: 5'6
    Powerlifting Journal

AWPC Worlds Teen Champ @ 148
    Squat 562 Beanch 319 Deadlift 507 Elite Total 1388

Gym records (Single-ply lifter)
    Squat 600 Bench 354 Deadlift 560

Quote Originally Posted by littleman19 View Post
    if single ply, titan centurion all the way. The suit kicks ass. you can get it for narrow or wide stance. but like ehubbard said, a little wider than that is not really a wide stance. post a new pic of your stance squatting and deadlifting. you don't have to be doing a lot of weight. just slap a plate on each side and take a picture so we can see whether you should go with the wide or regular suit.
    OK, I will get one on hear Monday when I go back. I guess I could use a broom, haha

Not sure on the ply. I am new to suits and powerlifting equipt. I guess whatever is best for a beginner. I will also look into a bench shirt at some point. I probably will not get in a meet until later on in the year. If I'm not altleast at 1650+ I dont want to enter.

ehubbard, your lifts look great!
    We are probably around the same size and if I could hit close to your lifts I will be very happy.
    Last edited by PWR; 02-14-2009 at 08:32 AM.

Single ply squat suit I would go with the new super centurion from Titan. I have a king pro deadlift suit from Metal and I love it. If you go with Titan I would contact Ken Anderson he is awesome.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

you were in the best suits then...why change? lol Check out Inzer Fusion for single ply pulling. Get the velcro conversion on the straps..
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Tank82 View Post
    Single ply squat suit I would go with the new super centurion from Titan. I have a king pro deadlift suit from Metal and I love it. If you go with Titan I would contact Ken Anderson he is awesome.
    Agreed here. The newer Super+ material is much better than even the NXG+ was! I'd suggest the centurion in a narrow stance unless you are a lot wider than the pic now. I would also try it deadlifting. Your DL stance looks similar to mine. I've tried several suits over the years and using the centurion as a DL suit has worked much better than anything else for me. Titan's DL suit is good and so is Inzer's Max DL but I really like the Centurion squat suit better. And buying one suit is a plus! If your fed allows multi-ply then after a while to master the Centurion for squatting you may want to try the Boss. It's the best suit on the planet but one that you really need to work up to. Starting with the Centurion gives you a step up on learning it as they are cut on a similar design....and if it works for you as a DL suit, you already have a great DL suit. P.S. many Sumo DLers love the Boss to DL in; but not many (or any) to pull conventional in.

The Titan Fury shirt is great to start if you bench fairly flat. The F6 if you bench with an arch. Great shirts and fairly easy to learn. The best shirt Titan makes is the Katana. A/S for arched bencher and S/S for flat benchers. If you've used a shirt before and train with knowledgable shirt benchers you could probably use it. It is tough to get to touch but worth the effort if successful. If you choose to start with the F6 or Fury you won't be dissapointed. I benched well over 600 with a single F6 and a Raw meet bench best of 402 before switching to the Katana when it came out. I hope all of this helps with your decision. Good luck!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Thank guys, looks like some good info on here. I will try and get a pic or vid up of my three lifts and see if that helps.

mastermonster........200lbs with a shirt on, holy hell!! I am close to 400 raw now and have never benched in a shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by PWR View Post
    Not sure on the ply. I am new to suits and powerlifting equipt. I guess whatever is best for a beginner. I will also look into a bench shirt at some point. I probably will not get in a meet until later on in the year. If I'm not altleast at 1650+ I dont want to enter.

ehubbard, your lifts look great!
    We are probably around the same size and if I could hit close to your lifts I will be very happy.
    I still consider myelf a beginner and I lift in double ply gear, mostly train by myself. I would look on powerliftingwatch.com for powerlifting gyms in your area and find a good crew to train with and use whatever gear (single or multi) they use. You could also look for meets in your area and see what the gear requirements are. Generally speaking, the USAPL and USPF are single ply feds, while the IPA, APF, and UPA are multiply. Where abouts do you live?

Some people are of the opinion that you need to start out in single ply gear and some are not. With close to 400 lb raw bench and I assume many training years under your belt, I would say double ply gear would not be "too much" for you. But again, that is your call. More gear equals more potential carryover. You could also look to buy some gear used. If you are going to lift double ply, I would start out getting a pair of briefs first.

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    I still consider myelf a beginner and I lift in double ply gear, mostly train by myself. I would look on powerliftingwatch.com for powerlifting gyms in your area and find a good crew to train with and use whatever gear (single or multi) they use. You could also look for meets in your area and see what the gear requirements are. Generally speaking, the USAPL and USPF are single ply feds, while the IPA, APF, and UPA are multiply. Where abouts do you live?

Some people are of the opinion that you need to start out in single ply gear and some are not. With close to 400 lb raw bench and I assume many training years under your belt, I would say double ply gear would not be "too much" for you. But again, that is your call. More gear equals more potential carryover. You could also look to buy some gear used. If you are going to lift double ply, I would start out getting a pair of briefs first.
    Thanks, I live in TN.

The meet that I was in before from the picture was a APA meet at Vanderbilt University. I actually have a pair of briefs and a couple suits at home but they were what I trained in for the last meet in 2001. I need to pull them out of the attic and see what they are. My buddy was a SHW and those suits in the pictures were his.

I train by myself also and always have pretty much. My schedule is pretty busy so I never know what time of the day I will go. Here is my training log that I just started. This will give you some sort of idea on how I lift. http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=121101
    I havent done any advanced PL training and always worked out the traditional way for size and strength but I have that itch again and wanna see what I can do for myself. The only reason I want to get back in it is because I took a 5-6 year layoff from the gym and I am back to where I am now from only really 7-8 months of consistent training. I probably wont ever be as strong as most of the guys out there but its fun to do it for yourself.

Well, here is a good place to start:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/tennessee

There are lots of SPF meets in state. And there are a quite a few TN lifters that post here.

Thanks, I live in TN.

The meet that I was in before from the picture was a APA meet at Vanderbilt University. I actually have a pair of briefs and a couple suits at home but they were what I trained in for the last meet in 2001. I need to pull them out of the attic and see what they are. My buddy was a SHW and those suits in the pictures were his.

I train by myself also and always have pretty much. My schedule is pretty busy so I never know what time of the day I will go. Here is my training log that I just started. This will give you some sort of idea on how I lift. http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=121101
    I havent done any advanced PL training and always worked out the traditional way for size and strength but I have that itch again and wanna see what I can do for myself. The only reason I want to get back in it is because I took a 5-6 year layoff from the gym and I am back to where I am now from only really 7-8 months of consistent training. I probably wont ever be as strong as most of the guys out there but its fun to do it for yourself.
    What city do you live in?
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    What city do you live in?
    Nashville

Nashville
    Why don't you come out to one of these meets, meet up with me and and I can introduce you to a few crews of guys you could train with. Be happy you don't live in Knoxville. I have to drive out to Nashville for a PL gym.

http://www.southernpowerlifting.com/contest.php?id=52

or

http://www.southernpowerlifting.com/contest.php?id=74

^this is going to be a huge meet^
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Why don't you come out to one of these meets, meet up with me and and I can introduce you to a few crews of guys you could train with. Be happy you don't live in Knoxville. I have to drive out to Nashville for a PL gym.

http://www.southernpowerlifting.com/contest.php?id=52

or

http://www.southernpowerlifting.com/contest.php?id=74

^this is going to be a huge meet^
    The second looks like something I definitely want to go to. I doubt I will enter but I will for sure go to this.

Thanks alot!