The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Starting SS

Hybrid View

Starting SS

Hey Guys. I decided im going to start SS next week and have a few Qs. Will SS be an affective routine during a cut? What exactly is the difference between SS and Madcows 5x5 except the fact that there isent an A and B workout? (Is it just the whole ramping weights and stuff?) Also im going to be doing HIIT training on off days (Tues, Thurs, and Sat or Sun) along with abs. And i know your all going to say dont **** with it its gold but would it really hurt if i put in some trap and forearm work on off days?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I know this is my first post, so take it as you may, but I've been a frequent reader of wbbforums. I would like to say to not mess with SS, its a great program and really works out everything, some isolated forearm and trap work seems kinda unecessary. I would suggest starting SS and then deciding if you really need to add something. Personally I started SS in august of '08 and just for example my bench went from 185 1rep max to 270 1 rep max in 5 months. I had been lifting throughout college (never as consistent as I would like, and being broke really made the eating right and supplementing hard) But now I'm done with school and more focused. All-in-all, I say give it a shot, but in all honesty I feel anyone of the often-mentioned routines will yield good results if you follow them correctly, eat a lot, and sleep.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdp View Post
    I would like to say to not mess with SS, its a great program and really works out everything, some isolated forearm and trap work seems kinda unecessary. I would suggest starting SS and then deciding if you really need to add something.

The deadlifts already included will work your forearms and traps plenty. You'll see.
    Last edited by dumbbell; 02-16-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

If you're going to do something like SS, I wouldn't recommend HIIT in between, you should rest. I was going to do something like that myself, but high intensity workouts like HIIT will work against your muscle growth. If you want to cut, change your diet, and if you really need to, just add 20 minutes of low intensity cardio (walkin on a treadmill for example) at the end of your workout.
    You won't lose fat as fast, but you will be able to maintain and increase your muscle growth and strength.

The difference between SS and Madcows is that you progress about 10 times faster on SS. Madcows is for intermediates. And no it's not a good routine for cutting. And no you can't do HITT and abs on off days. And yes it would hurt if you put traps and forearms on off days (I have no idea why you would want to when you're already doing heavy deadlifts or cleans every workout...)

Notorious ... if SS is not a good routine for a cut or while doing HITT training is there a routine that you would recommend which would be suitable?

if you want to bulk up and gain strength, then to my knowledge, nothing is going to mix well with HIIT. if you want to cut fast, do HIIT. if you want to gain strength, do SS with some low intensity cardio, and eat right.

For SS should you be able to do 5 reps for all 3 sets or should it be so that once you do hit 5 reps for all 3 sets you move up in weight? Also, im not questioning it but rather trying to understand ... why only 1 set of 5 for deadlifts when everything else is 3 sets?

Yeah, once you can do 3 sets of 5 reps each then you move up in weight for the exercise. When just starting out, you'll probably be increasing your weight for bench, squat, and deadlift each week. OHP and the clean may go a little slower.

You only do 1x5 on deadlifts because it is such a taxing exercise and your lower back also gets worked out on the squat. Just like all of the other exercises, though, make sure you do warmups for the DL.