The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Squat form and depth

Just getting back into the lifting scheme, coming off a pretty long injury, just want some input as far as depth and form, its hard for me to critique myself. The weight is 255 lbs. I apologize for all of the extra video ( not familiar with camera)

Video
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 194 lbs - PR: 220
    Raw Squat: 315 - PR: 405
    Raw Press: 325 - PR: 365
    Raw Dead: 365 - PR: 445

Total: 1005 (1205) * All gym records.

My Journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=121117

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Looks spot on to me mate, only thing is maybe as you were coming up you seemed to be looking up a bit too high? Keep looking straight ahead because it seemed to pivot the weight backwards a little if you get what I mean? Otherwise very good, nice and deep.

Really? i was always taught by the top guys i've trained with to look up, your body tends to follow your sight. Anyone else have any opinions on that?

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by RonnyB View Post
    Really? i was always taught by the top guys i've trained with to look up, your body tends to follow your sight. Anyone else have any opinions on that?
    That's what I mean, your line of sight seems to be too high, as if your trying to look at the ceiling and so your body is following it, so it looks to me as you're coming up the weight tries to go behind you a little too much and you have to correct it.

This is just my opinion though mate not fact, it just looks like your making it a little more difficult for yourself.

You need to be tighter for sure. Its hard to tell depth from that angle but it looks a bit high to me. Also get some hard soled shoes.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-17-2009 at 07:53 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

The weight is pushing your back down and you're leaning way over to the right. Do you think that's injury related?

Looks too loose, stay tighter. Depth looks ok, could be lower but its not too bad.

Thanks for all of the input, it seems the general opinion is that it looks too "loose" how do i correct that? what should i do?

My Journal

Shouldnt you know this? You have raw squatted 450 right?
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-18-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Shouldnt you know this? You have raw squatted 450 right?
    You're such a negative person, Yes i've squatted 450 raw at 220 lbs in late 07', my power lifting experience is limited, i trained like a body builder for a very long time. I worked with a ranked lifter for about a year and he got all of my numbers up pretty high before i got injured. It's been over a year and i'm basically re-learning everything again. Thanks for your "help"
    Last edited by RonnyB; 02-18-2009 at 01:12 PM.

My Journal

Thanks for all of the input, it seems the general opinion is that it looks too "loose" how do i correct that? what should i do?
    I worked with a ranked lifter for about a year and he got all of my numbers up pretty high

Im not negative at all, and if you look at the first post I put in here you will see it was helpful. I just dont understand why you are asking such basic questions and have had such impressive stats and history. Its a nonsequitor, thats all.

Did this 'ranked lifter" ever say anything about being tight? Did he say anything about not lifting in cushioned shoes?
    Sarvamangalam!

Im not negative at all, and if you look at the first post I put in here you will see it was helpful. I just dont understand why you are asking such basic questions and have had such impressive stats and history. Its a nonsequitor, thats all.

Did this 'ranked lifter" ever say anything about being tight? Did he say anything about not lifting in cushioned shoes?
    Well i want to squash this right now, because really i'm not interested in making enemies on a forum, this ranked lifter is Jon Rock, he has a 2000 total at 198, yes he told me about Chuck taylors and good form, Benchers arches ect ect. Theres only so much you can teach someone in a year, and theres so much you can forget in another year ( off ) i came here for motivation and helpful input. He actually brought over a friend of his to help me on my squat form, he would tell me i'd lean forward too much, they would work on my form all day. I've always had squat form issues, thus why i posted this video.
    Last edited by RonnyB; 02-18-2009 at 01:39 PM.

My Journal

everyone knows when you squat 450 you throw caution to the wind. come on zen.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    everyone knows when you squat 450 you throw caution to the wind. come on zen.
    Ugh.. Of course. I am such an idiot. Hold on, lemme walk over to the wall.....

dont make me come over there, cards
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-18-2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

What was the nature o the injury, if you dont mind me asking
    Sarvamangalam!

What was the nature o the injury, if you dont mind me asking
    broke my scaphoid bone in my right wrist from a grappling tournament, was in a full arm cast for 3 months, scaphoid bone is one of the tiny "ball bearing" type bones in the wrist, a part of the bone that doesn't get any blood flow. I wasn't able to hold a pencil in my hand so basically the only kind of training i could do was cardio. i STILL have pains in my wrist and it'll never be the same, infact i have to do pushups on my fist. I feel 100% right now as far as strength, it's just the pain i'll have to deal with.

My Journal

Wannabebig Member
    I think your squat looks awesome. I would not worry about leaning forward too much. How tall are you? Taller guys tend to lean over more, it's not a bad thing it just means that the muscles that extend your lower back get more of a workout (in a good way). Analyzing a movement can be extremely complex. For example all of the ratios between the lengths of different bones or segments of the body have to be accounted for. The length of your spinal collumn with respect to the length of your femur plays a huge role in how you squat. So I do not think you should try and mimic the movement of someone who is say, 6 inches shorter than you, it is nearly impossible. As far as looking up, there is a lot of evidence to support "looking where you are going". However when the spine is under large amounts of force it is a good idea to keep it as stable as possible. This is why people say "stay tight". Keeping your neck or more accuratly your cervical vertebre in a neutral position is thought to be safer. With your neck in a neutral position you can still look up with just your eyes, albeit not to the same degree. Ask around you'll find a lot of guys at the gym with messed up necks and shoulders, they're connected. Any way, your squat looks great. Keep training hard.

Quote Originally Posted by squat huge View Post
    I think your squat looks awesome. I would not worry about leaning forward too much. How tall are you? Taller guys tend to lean over more, it's not a bad thing it just means that the muscles that extend your lower back get more of a workout (in a good way). Analyzing a movement can be extremely complex. For example all of the ratios between the lengths of different bones or segments of the body have to be accounted for. The length of your spinal collumn with respect to the length of your femur plays a huge role in how you squat. So I do not think you should try and mimic the movement of someone who is say, 6 inches shorter than you, it is nearly impossible. As far as looking up, there is a lot of evidence to support "looking where you are going". However when the spine is under large amounts of force it is a good idea to keep it as stable as possible. This is why people say "stay tight". Keeping your neck or more accuratly your cervical vertebre in a neutral position is thought to be safer. With your neck in a neutral position you can still look up with just your eyes, albeit not to the same degree. Ask around you'll find a lot of guys at the gym with messed up necks and shoulders, they're connected. Any way, your squat looks great. Keep training hard.
    Thanks for the lengthy and knowledgeable post, i'm 5'9"-5'10"ish

My Journal