The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My routine

My routine

I am new to the site so I thought I would take some time to post my current routine and see what everyone thought about it. I am using a pretty basic dual factor training program, and I also utilize deloading every 4-6 weeks depending upon how I feel.

Monday
    Bench Press 4sets x 6 reps
    Incline dumbell press 4sets x 6 reps
    Military Press 3 sets x 6 reps
    Close grip bench 3 sets x 8reps
    Tricep pushdown 3 sets x 8 reps

Tuesday
    Bent over row 4 sets x 10,8,8,6,6 reps
    Close grip pulldown 3 sets x 8 reps
    Low pulley cable row 3 sets x 6 reps
    Pullups 1 set to failure
    Barbell Curls 4 x 10,8,8,6
    Hammer curls 3x 8

Wednesday
    Hang Cleans 4 sets x 6,6,4,4
    Squats 4 sets x 8,6,6,6
    Romanian Deadlifts 3 sets x 6
    Lunges 3 sets x 8
    Calves 3 sets x 12

Thursday
    Incline bench 4 x 6
    Dumbell bench 3 x 6
    dumbell shoulder press 3 x 8
    skull crushers 3 x 8
    dips 3 x failure

Friday
    Wide grip lat pulldown 5 x 10,8,8,6,6
    Pullups 3x failure
    Row machine 3x 8
    Hammer curls 4x 8
    Barbell 21's 3 sets

Saturday
    Deadlifts 5x 8,,8,6,6,4
    Box squats 3x 8
    Leg extension/ hamstring curl 3x 10
    Calves

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

No. Thats a bad routine.

Do Starting Strength, use the search function and read the articles on wannabebig.com
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    No. Thats a bad routine.

Do Starting Strength, use the search function and read the articles on wannabebig.com
    Agreed.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

I would take another day off in there somewhere. Thats alot to do but looks like a good routine. I would take wednesday off and continue it.

I am having very good results from this routine, but I would like to know why this routine is bad. Without any reasons or credibility I have no reason to believe that my routine is bad.

Without any reasons or credibility why would we believe it was good?

If you are getting good results then by all means go ahead and do it. But you WILL burnout or get injured. Probably both.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-11-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

seems to me that its a bit messy, it can be organized a bit better. also, you're not giving your body enough rest. i'd get a full day's rest before working out.
    thats okay if you're doing hypertrophy, but thats a lot of work. if you want to have optimal strength gains, then theres a better approach. take the advice these other guys give you.
    do something like Starting Strength, and eat lots. everybody on these forums want to be big, with the strength to back it up. with your routine, you may have size, but you won't be able to move ****.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by jwood1988 View Post
    I am new to the site so I thought I would take some time to post my current routine and see what everyone thought about it. I am using a pretty basic dual factor training program, and I also utilize deloading every 4-6 weeks depending upon how I feel.

Monday
    Bench Press 4sets x 6 reps*
    Incline dumbell press 4sets x 6 reps
    Military Press 3 sets x 6 reps*
    Close grip bench 3 sets x 8reps*
    Tricep pushdown 3 sets x 8 reps

Tuesday
    Bent over row 4 sets x 10,8,8,6,6 reps*
    Close grip pulldown 3 sets x 8 reps*
    Low pulley cable row 3 sets x 6 reps
    Pullups 1 set to failure
    Barbell Curls 4 x 10,8,8,6*
    Hammer curls 3x 8

Wednesday
    Hang Cleans 4 sets x 6,6,4,4*
    Squats 4 sets x 8,6,6,6*
    Romanian Deadlifts 3 sets x 6*
    Lunges 3 sets x 8
    Calves 3 sets x 12

Thursday
    Incline bench 4 x 6*
    Dumbell bench 3 x 6
    dumbell shoulder press 3 x 8
    skull crushers 3 x 8
    dips 3 x failure*

Friday
    Wide grip lat pulldown 5 x 10,8,8,6,6
    Pullups 3x failure*
    Row machine 3x 8
    Hammer curls 4x 8
    Barbell 21's 3 sets

Saturday
    Deadlifts 5x 8,,8,6,6,4*
    Box squats 3x 8*
    Leg extension/ hamstring curl 3x 10
    Calves

It's a bad routine for several reasons. Assuming you are lifting with any real intensity, you are doing a lot of work. You have 30+ exercises, 95 sets and tons of reps. Moreoever you only have one rest day in the entire week. You grow OUT of the gym not IN it. Rest and food rebuild the muscle, weight training tears it down.

You also have a lot of isolation exercises which should not even be utilized if your goal is to build as much size and strength as possible.

Plus you have some exercises in there that could lead to injury such as the wide grip pulldown. Over time that could lead to a painful tear in the rotator cuff.

My advice would be as follows:

Eliminate the exercises that do not have an * next to them. Put two more rest days in there somewhere. Reorganize the routine with the above requirements. Not perfect...but a whole lot better.

What are your actual goals?

What have you achieved using this program?

IMHO it doesnt look like a very efficient approach for umm....anything really.

Cut it down to 4 days max. Either 2 push/2 pull or 2 upper/2 lower. Try and get some balance. I would build the routine with primary focus on the compound movements.

I agree with everything Songsangnim said, but especially the part about intensity. Could you honestly say you attack every exercise in there like you really mean it?
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

My goals are size and strength and I think I could honostly say on most days I attack every exercise. On this program I have put on about 15 pounds in 2 months, I am bulking so I understand some of it is fat, but I still look pretty lean. When I started I could bench 265 x4, squat 350x 6, and deadlift 275 for 4, now I am up to benching 310 x 4, squating 405x 6 and deadlifting 365 for 6. I would agree I need to get more rest and would appreciate some help reorganizing a program. I will also say that the key to this program is a deload week, with active recovery. I am definitely up for a change and I am trying to process all of this information into a new routine. thank you for the help.

also I have been searching the site for the starting strength program, but all I get is a ton of people's journals and random posts about anything. Is there a better way to search so that I will get an overview of the workout. I am very interested in learning about this program, and looking forward to making my program a lot better.

I thought it was around here. If you can't find it, Google it, it's actually a book written by Mark Rippetoe, but there are websites that explain it.
    Last edited by nockits; 02-12-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Stop trying to make your own routine. You dont have enough experience or knowledge to do it. Im not trying to be rude, just saying that youd get far far better results with a premade routine. Starting Strength is awesome. Do that.
    Sarvamangalam!

Man you have a good routine and you seem like your not some new guy just trying to get in it.
    I would suggest taking off a day between a couple of those days or atleast just one. If it is working for you then do it until you find some sort of plateau. People on here seem real fast to discredit someones routine and tell them to do some routine they read about or other people are trying. It seems like if your not doing something from Ripptoe or SS or some other stuff you dont know what your doing. I have never once heard of any of that until I joined this forum a couple weeks ago, lol. I dont even know who Mark Ripptoe is. The stuff may be golden so I will not say it doesnt work. I would also like to try some of it one day. Your routine looks good. Eat like a horse, sleep like a bear and lift like a bull!
    Be carefull around here... some of the people that like to give quick advice are 160lbs and just learned what free weights are in the last year. I'm not saying everyone in this thread is like that but I see it alot around this board.

If you're still improving, I'd stick with it until you stop. Change wide-grip pulldowns for regular-grip though.

Stop trying to make your own routine. You dont have enough experience or knowledge to do it. Im not trying to be rude, just saying that youd get far far better results with a premade routine. Starting Strength is awesome. Do that.
    No offense bro, but your saying his routine is junk, he has no experience or knowledge and he is already stronger and bigger than you so obviously he has done something right. Hell, you might even learn some from him, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PWR View Post
    Man you have a good routine and you seem like your not some new guy just trying to get in it.
    I would suggest taking off a day between a couple of those days or atleast just one. If it is working for you then do it until you find some sort of plateau. People on here seem real fast to discredit someones routine and tell them to do some routine they read about or other people are trying. It seems like if your not doing something from Ripptoe or SS or some other stuff you dont know what your doing. I have never once heard of any of that until I joined this forum a couple weeks ago, lol. I dont even know who Mark Ripptoe is. The stuff may be golden so I will not say it doesnt work. I would also like to try some of it one day. Your routine looks good. Eat like a horse, sleep like a bear and lift like a bull!
    Be carefull around here... some of the people that like to give quick advice are 160lbs and just learned what free weights are in the last year. I'm not saying everyone in this thread is like that but I see it alot around this board.

If anyone from 1-0-7 Barbell reads this thread I like the line from the post above:

Eat like a horse, sleep like a bear and lift like a bull!

I know nominations for the t-shirt slogan are closed but just in case you were still looking. (Not nominating it myself, if you add it to the list it should come from PWR.)

No offense bro, but your saying his routine is junk, he has no experience or knowledge and he is already stronger and bigger than you so obviously he has done something right. Hell, you might even learn some from him, lol.
    His routine IS junk and the fact that you think it is good say alot about your extent of knowledge on the subject. Um.. check you stuff man. Before I switched to OLY lifting I had a 475x3 DL and a 355x6 ATG squat. I was 220lbs at 10%bf. My body size now is a choice to be smaller. I am currently OLY squatting now. Do you know what that is? It is the hardest possible way to squat.

I wasnt trying to be harsh with the OP, but sometimes directly saying it is best. The OP has to ask himself a question

Does he want the most efficient way to meet his goals or not?

If so then he should stick to a professionally designed routine.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-12-2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    for neone to grow off of this ur gonna have to use roid, u either saw this some where else or copied it from a book, this is way too much work, beleive i use to do this work and got nowhere

His routine IS junk and the fact that you think it is good say alot about your extent of knowledge on the subject. Um.. check you stuff man. Before I switched to OLY lifting I had a 475x3 DL and a 355x6 ATG squat. I was 220lbs at 10%bf. My body size now is a choice to be smaller. I am currently OLY squatting now. Do you know what that is? It is the hardest possible way to squat.

I wasnt trying to be harsh with the OP, but sometimes directly saying it is best. The OP has to ask himself a question

Does he want the most efficient way to meet his goals or not?

If so then he should stick to a professionally designed routine.
    I said that he needs a day or two between that split. Day after day I agree its too much and I said that from jump. But his routine does not look that bad. I may think your routine is junk. I dont know what it is or really even care. I have been lifting on and off for around 17 years. I'm 5'11 and 265'lbs and I have done this on my own routine so I think I know alittle bit about the subject. I think one body part per week is optimal for me. It may not be for the next guy. Everybody is different and whats most important is they find what works best for them. Congrats on your lifts and your weight and bf. I have been 270lbs and 11% BF, but that doesnt mean anything to him. He needs to do what works best for him and if he is making gains then that is what matters.

I said that he needs a day or two between that split. Day after day I agree its too much and I said that from jump. But his routine does not look that bad. I may think your routine is junk. I dont know what it is or really even care. I have been lifting on and off for around 17 years. I'm 5'11 and 265'lbs and I have done this on my own routine so I think I know alittle bit about the subject. I think one body part per week is optimal for me. It may not be for the next guy. Everybody is different and whats most important is they find what works best for them. Congrats on your lifts and your weight and bf. I have been 270lbs and 11% BF, but that doesnt mean anything to him. He needs to do what works best for him and if he is making gains then that is what matters.
    I only said that about myself because you said he was "bigger and stronger".

Ill say it again and it applies to you too

Do you want results of more efficient results?

Just because you do well on a routine doesnt mean it is good or most efficient for you or that you know a thing about it. Anyone can make imporvements but Im talking about EFFICIENCY. Starting Strength is tried and proven. It is more efficient than the OPs routine.
    Sarvamangalam!

also I have been searching the site for the starting strength program, but all I get is a ton of people's journals and random posts about anything. Is there a better way to search so that I will get an overview of the workout. I am very interested in learning about this program, and looking forward to making my program a lot better.
    Little tip for using google to search the forums. First the search string:

site:wannabebigforums.com rippetoe program link

For google, you can type in site:somesite.com to limit the google search for that particular site. Then after that you can put in whatever search terms you want to search for.

I like this method because google's search engine is pretty powerful.

I still had to go thorugh 4 or 5 search results to find a post with this link, but that's not too bad.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength

thank you for all the responses, but I just want to clear something up, what I meant by make my own routines is adapt a professional routine to my schedule. Not that I start from scratch, and I also agree that I need more rest which is part of the reason I posted the routine. I am looking for help, yes the program has worked for me but I am not saying that it is the best program for me or is the most efficient. I am just trying to learn how to make myself better and learn more about weightlifting.

And also the program was designed for roids, but it has been shown to be effective for short periods of time in younger bodies. I am only 20, so I thought I would try the program for a while. And without roids you have to deload more often.

I have concluded that the program is too much and I will be switching it soon. so posting was a success, and now I will try something else and hopefully become more efficient.

As i was researching the starting strength program I came accross another routine that is used by Layne Norton, the all natural pro bodybuilder, it combines heavy compound lifts with hypertrophy training. What do you guys think of it, I think the volume side could prove to be a little much, need advice.

Mon-Upper Body Power
    Barbell Bench Press 5 sets 4-6 reps
    Barbell Bent Over Row 5 sets 4-6 reps
    Overhead Press 5 sets 4-6 reps

Tues-Lower Body Power
    Squats 5 sets 4-6 reps
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts 5 sets 4-6 reps

Wed-Off

Thurs-Back,Biceps,Traps
    Wide Grip Pullups 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Seated Cable Rows or T Bar Rows 3 sets 8-12 reps
    DB Rows 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Barbell Shrugs 3 sets 8-12 reps
    DB Curls 4 sets 8-12 reps
    Hammer Curls 3 sets 8-12 reps

Fri-Chest,Shoulders,Triceps Hypertrophy
    DB Incline 3 sets 8-12 reps
    DB Flat Bench 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Flyes 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Seated DB Press 3 set 8-12
    Side Laterals 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Bent Over Laterals 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Skullcrushers 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Dips 3 sets 8-12 reps

Sat-Legs Hypertrophy
    Leg Press or Front Squats 4 sets 8-15 reps
    Hack Squats 3 sets 8-15 reps
    Leg Ext 3 sets 12-15 reps
    Lying Leg Curls 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Seated Leg curls 3 sets 8-12 reps

Sun-Off

Squat 5x5
    DL 5x5
    Curls 4x8

Barbell Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Bent Over Row 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Pullups 5x5

Power Clean 5x3
    Front Squats 4x8
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts 4x8
    Dips 5x5

DB Incline 4x8
    DB Rows 4x8
    Seated DB Press 4x8
    Pullups 4x8
    Thats what I salvaged. I put a set/rep scheme in there, but its not really necessary. I dont think you will grow more if you do a certain rep scheme (5x5 vs 4x8)- or the difference, at your level is negligible. Caloric intake is the biggest factor.

Honestly, dude, I still think thats too much volume. What is wrong with SS? SS is well thought out and kicks the hell out of that above ones. You will grow like a maniac on SS. Do it.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-16-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!