The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Best food/drink in between lifts @ Meets

Ok question, I've been to a few meets now and looking to do full power this year. On days of meets I just don't have an appitite to eat. I've forced myself to eat breakfast and in between bench and DL (tried sandiwches, pizza, protien bars, protien shakes) NO I didnt eat all this together at 1 meet) but I feel horrible or have thrown up by the time DL comes around from eatting. What's the next best thing to replenish and recover for the next 2 lifts?
    Thanks
    Run? Are you crazy? I wouln't even run for the dinner bell! I don't remember seeing running as a part of Push/Pull.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pre-meet breakfast for me is usually Egg McMuffins and coffee. Between lifts, I usually just drink Monster and Gatorade and snack on a few protein bars.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

I usually eat a big protein shake for breakfast, then cracker barrel a couple hours later. At meets here are some of my favorites:

Gatorade
    Monster
    Mashed up sweet potatoes
    Protein shakes
    Fast food

If you can get the food down, obviously you're going to have more energy than if you don't.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I was real happy with trailmix (peanuts, raisens, and M&M's), protein bar, a protein shake, and water & propel (gatorade product?). I generally can't have anything digesting when I lift but this worked great for me probably because it is all light. I snacked on it throughout the day so I wasn't taking in a lot at once.

prob is I cant keep food down. I puke it back up.. I wondering if theres something extremely light on the stomach to eat or drink that will help me recover and replenish energy for the next lift. See 1st post of what I've tried so far to eat
    Run? Are you crazy? I wouln't even run for the dinner bell! I don't remember seeing running as a part of Push/Pull.

I'm a big proponent of eating as regularly as you can up to and on meet day (if at all possible)... The last thing you want is an upset stomach with a freaking squat suit on! JMO.

I eat light, but regularly throughout meets and don't OD on caffeine - if you're at a big meet, you might be there 10 hours. I bring a cooler and have water, string cheese, crackers, fruit, etc in it. If my stomach can handle it, I'll have a sandwich or something for lunch, which I'll eat after the squat.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I'm a big proponent of eating as regularly as you can up to and on meet day (if at all possible)... The last thing you want is an upset stomach with a freaking squat suit on! JMO.

I eat light, but regularly throughout meets and don't OD on caffeine - if you're at a big meet, you might be there 10 hours. I bring a cooler and have water, string cheese, crackers, fruit, etc in it. If my stomach can handle it, I'll have a sandwich or something for lunch, which I'll eat after the squat.

Sensei is on point - eat LIGHT & try not to change things too much. when I hit the trail mix - it is a little less than a handful and I try to keep the water coming. Maybe you need to try all "liquid" based products and stay away from solid foods. Good luck

Im really glad this was started so i didnt have to lol (meet in 5 days)
    750/425/625/1800 at SPF Georgia State meet on 8/07/10
    Started Powerlifting: September 08
    Phillipians 4:13
    Pslams 23:4

lol

Anytime Mosley

I only lift bench only, so it's not that critical for me, but I would think that it's much more important to stay hydrated than just eating. At Gary Franks meets, he has a large bowl of fruit for the lifters to snack on between attempts along with Powerade. I think that is a great advantage for the lifters.
    Last edited by Ryano; 02-17-2009 at 04:52 PM.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Lexen Xtreme
    Easily digestible complex carbs to keep the energy levels up. Oatmeal is excellent if you have access to hot water. Mashed sweet potatoes are good too, rice is good, etc. I'll have a couple of PB&J or turkey sandwiches as well. Make sure you eat right after the completion of your flight, to give yourself enough time to digest and "dispose of the excess" so to speak. Except for immediately after completing your flight (when the simple carbs are quickly used for muscle recovery), try to avoid a lot of sugar between events, at least until right before the deadlift, as you don't want to deal with insulin spikes and crashes throughout the meet. Keep yourself well hydrated. Most importantly, try to not eat a lot of stuff that you're not used to, you definitely don't want digestive problems during the meet. I see lots of guys downing pizza between flights, I don't get it since that's a lot of empty calories, but I guess it works for them.

Competition day is gonna suck for me; I'm 148lbs with clothes on so I can't really eat too much before weigh in. I plan on eating my homemade protein bars and fruit and drinking either water or some kind of sports drink throughout the day.

Just like any other day.

Breakfast: shake, english muffin, pop tarts

on the drive: bacon breafkast sandwich from timmys, with a coffee

post weighin: one sandwich, some milk or gatorade

after squats: one sandwich, milk/gatorade

after bench: milk/gatorade

after deadlift: beer and wings
    Last edited by Detard; 02-17-2009 at 04:26 PM.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I saw a powerlifter posted something for a recipe called "Goo Balls"

15 oz Peanut Butter
    7 oz Whey Protein
    5 oz Honey

"Mix it up and refrigerate, these are awesome and I take them to all of my meets, they are a life saver."
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

good thing about being a SHW is not having to worry about being too heavy
    750/425/625/1800 at SPF Georgia State meet on 8/07/10
    Started Powerlifting: September 08
    Phillipians 4:13
    Pslams 23:4

Since I'm a bench only lifter, after the bench, it's usually 3 or 4 burgers LOL

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I saw a powerlifter posted something for a recipe called "Goo Balls"

15 oz Peanut Butter
    7 oz Whey Protein
    5 oz Honey

"Mix it up and refrigerate, these are awesome and I take them to all of my meets, they are a life saver."
    I dont know how they are on meet day, but they are pretty good. Choc. protein powder in this one for me.

one of the worse mistakes ive ever made at a contest was the food i brought..

here is how the contest went down

7:00 am - about 6 trail mix bars and a bad ommlette from the hotel
    8:00 am - 2 full sugar energy drinks (about 200mg caffeine each)
    8:30 am - an energy 'shot' bought it, thought it looked cool. 250mg caffeine
    9:00am - first squat.. by this time the 650mg of caffeine i had is making me twitchy and sweaty
    squat a 105lbs meet PR on a 3rd. its my day!

then went 2/6 the rest of the meet, almost falling asleep before my first deadlift attempt.

lesson learned - dont have 3 energy drinks before squats if you plan on deadlifting well.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Ghetto Gatorade, Pop Tarts, and Skoal. Live to win.
    Roll Tide.

At a meet at IAG in August they had a bbq running all day; THAT is the way a meet should be haha

I am with Sensei, I try and eat as I do normally. I have an ordinary breakfast of eggs, ham steak, and whole wheat toast. Than I pack a cooler with my usual foods, drinks, and shakes. I usually have hot meals for lunch and dinner at home, but it's not completely out of the ordinary for me to have a sandwich. So I usually pack a roast beef and a turkey grinder in my cooler. However, I will not force myself to eat if I don't feel like it. However, I will force myself to stay hydrated. I mix my own gatorade from their powder.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo