The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Heeled Shoes

Heeled Shoes

I just wanted to share this video with everyone. I have recently begun using these shoes, and they are fantastic. I got to choose all of my colors and am very pleased with the outcome. These are fantastic shoes if anyone needs a pair w/ a heel. For those lift technicians: it should be noted that the sole of these shoes slightly changes angles to accomodate the rocking motion of weight distributement during pulls.

They also will make custom singlets, wraps, and sleeves. Check em out

http://www.gwenweightlifting.blogspot.com/

Video
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-20-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Since the explanation of the nails inside was not clear in english...the nails are fish hook style they go in but imposible to get them out.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

I just heard special nails.....and im sold.....

haha but seriously i think i might check em out!...they look like they'd last a lifetime
    Funniest thing i've read ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    I was once so bored and horny I drew a picture of a naked woman to jerk off to.
    105kg

B - 130kg
    S - 185kg
    D - 200kg

I tried a pair a few months ago, wasn't completely sold on them. I prefer my adistar II's any day.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

The great thing about the Adidas' is that they are the same shoes used for shooting, so you can go lift then go shoot without even changing shoes!!
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-20-2009 at 09:16 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    The great thing about the Adidas' is that they are the same shoes used for shooting, so you can go lift then go shoot without even changing shoes!!
    Is that so? Interesting. I just found them very uncomfortable.

Nietzsche fan are we? I am reading Beyond Good and Evil for the second time.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Yea, not that that makes them worse for lifting. But they had a VERY diffrent feel from my dowins, which blew out in 4 months. Ive never worn the adidas but Gwen Sisto, (an owner of risto) said she thought they had a similar fit. I think the heel height is the same (1.5'') Was there any particular difference you could put your finger on?

Is there an angle change in the adidas soles? There is on the Ristos and I use the angle change in my pullin, but Im not sure if it makes a big enough difference for a novice weightlifter like myself.

Youre into Nietzsche? What made you get into that? (just curious cause you dont see many 16 yearolds into Nietzsche) But, thats awesome. Hes a cynical SOB, huh? Im reading Birth of Tradgedy right now and its really interestign. Im writing (this very moment) my senior philosophy thesis on Nietzsche, Heideger and Hegel in contrast to Ancient Stoic philosophers
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-20-2009 at 09:33 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Yea, not that that makes them worse for lifting. But they had a VERY diffrent feel from my dowins, which blew out in 4 months. Ive never worn the adidas but Gwen Sisto, (an owner of risto) said she thought they had a similar fit. I think the heel height is the same (1.5'') Was there any particular difference you could put your finger on?

Is there an angle change in the adidas soles? There is on the Ristos and I use the angle change in my pullin, but Im not sure if it makes a big enough difference for a novice weightlifter like myself.

Youre into Nietzsche? What made you get into that? (just curious cause you dont see many 16 yearolds into Nietzsche) But, thats awesome. Hes a cynical SOB, huh? Im reading Birth of Tradgedy right now and its really interestign. Im writing (this very moment) my senior philosophy thesis on Nietzsche, Heideger and Hegel in contrast to Ancient Stoic philosophers
    The heel felt narrower, as did the toe area, the heel was also a smidge higher and more 'severe.' The full squat felt very harsh on my knees. Just a personal preference.

I don't even pay attention to angle changes in the sole. I lift

As for Nietzsche. I am fanatical fan of Wagner's music, I have listened fully to the entire ring cycle many times and read as much of his literature as I can. The name Nietzsche came up many times, so I went and bought BGE. I do not pretend to be very adept at philosophy, nor do i want to read philosophy for the sake of reading it. I read BGE very slowly and methodically, taking great care to understand everything. I would read maybe 4-5 pages in a sitting, and often re read. I am reading it again to ensure I fully comprehend.

My thoughts run a scary parallel to his ideals, the will to power, rejection of morality and seething hatred of Christianity. It was incredibly relieving to read such a frank rejection of morality, and allowed me to over come my own guilt for not feeling compelled like many other kids to succumb to what is essentially Christian morality. Through his rather long winded, but eloquent words I have reached a level of clarity, and an understanding of myself.

Good stuff... I would be interested in reading your thesis, I occasionally trawl through The Republic in order understand Nietzsche's attacks on Stoic philosophers.

Thats interesting about it being harsh on your knees. After a few weeks squatting in them I developed some type of knee problem (either IT band issues or lateral patella femoral compression synrome aka runners knee). I wonder if there is any correlation... I am mildly concerned now. Ive been using TK knee sleeves ever since and its been better.

Birth of tradegy is a fun read and Id suggest it. He talks about how Greek tradgedies were the highest art form because it had acting, singing, humor, sorrow, the audience would participate, there would be a choral section, and many times they were in a drunken stupor from worshiping Dionysus. I guess you could call it aesthetic philosophy, but its an interesting read nonetheless. Ill let you know when my thesis is finished! It focuses on earlier philosophy than Plato though. Its subject is on the nature of free will and how the correlates to moral responsibility and moral luck.

The reason you cite (introspection and self evaluation) is where my love of philosophy and mystic psychology (william james, freud, jung, buddhism, hinduism, islam) comes from. Good to know youare on the good guys side.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-20-2009 at 09:54 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Zen,
    You are the third person this week that has mentioned to me their Do-Wins blowing out on them. Did the buckle go on yours?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Zen,
    You are the third person this week that has mentioned to me their Do-Wins blowing out on them. Did the buckle go on yours?
    Yes! One side the buclke and on the other the strap stitching came completely undone.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 02-21-2009 at 07:53 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Well, I guess Do-Wins will not be the next OL shoe I buy then... not that I think my Adidas will ever need to be replaced, but if necessary I'll just have them re-soled.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Well, I guess Do-Wins will not be the next OL shoe I buy then... not that I think my Adidas will ever need to be replaced, but if necessary I'll just have them re-soled.
    What model do you have? I am pretty sure the only shoes that needs a re sole is the silver and blue Adistars, or anything with the same one piece heel design.

My friend has a pair of ristos. His shoes are a lot bigger than mine so I don't know how good they are but they seem like they are gong to last a long time.

A few weeks ago, one of my adidas lifting shoes' tongue just ripped off. I do have a habit of pulling on them when I put my shoes on, but it's something that has never happened to me before. Other than their fragile tongues, I'm happy.
    Last edited by MPB; 02-21-2009 at 05:13 PM.

My Do-Wins each broke a buckle (both at the top). It happened while putting them on. I just replaced the buckle with a heavier one and they are good to go.