The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

395 x 1 DL Form Check

Video

Any comments on form? It feels fine to me but when I watched that back it looks like my legs are out of synch a bit if you get my drift. I'm 6"3' and have very long legs so i don't know if this is a factor.

I want to make sure my form is bang on before I start pushing myself further as I don't fancy injuring my back.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Nuttin to it but to do it Chalky Palms's Avatar
    Looks like your locking out the legs a bit too early. It was a good SLDL though.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Best Raw Lifts- B 315 S 405 D 555
    Workout Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky Palms View Post
    Looks like your locking out the legs a bit too early. It was a good SLDL though.
    Agreed. I should know, I start to do it too once any significant weight is on the bar.

I think keeping the hips lower for longer will fix this. I dunno working on it myself.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Wannabebig Member
    I agree with Flynn and Chalky Palms. It also looks like your knees come inward at the beginning of the lift. This is very common when maxing on squat or dead lift and can be problematic. I used to have this same movement pattern until it resulted in a torn patellar tendon. It stresses the MCL as well. There are a couple causes, the more popular diagnosis being a lack of strength or simply awareness in the gluteus medius. There are tons of exercises to remedy this, the most practical in my opinion are single leg squats. Make sure to allign your knee, hip and foot. If you can not do one just hold on to something for assistance, and progress from there. Usually someone as strong as you can fix it just by being aware of it and focussing to counter it.
    Last edited by squat huge; 02-20-2009 at 05:38 PM.

You made this rep much harder than it needed to be, the idea is to have your legs and back lock out one after thee other, you straightened your legs and basically used 90% back half way through the pull, i bet you'd be surprised how much you could actually pull with proper form.
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 194 lbs - PR: 220
    Raw Squat: 315 - PR: 405
    Raw Press: 325 - PR: 365
    Raw Dead: 365 - PR: 445

Total: 1005 (1205) * All gym records.

My Journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=121117

Get your ass higher before you start the pull. You should feel a stretch in your hamstrings. And make sure that the bar is against your body throughout the pull (couldn't tell if it was touching your shins at the beginning or not).

Thanks for all the comments, I guess being able to almost SLDL 395 can only be a good thing eh...

I get what you're all saying and I knew there was something up with my legs but couldn't put my finger on it, I think I need to concentrate on pulling it right up my shins from the off and keeping my arse down a bit longer. When I watch it in slow mo at 0:12 my legs are fully straightened out but the weight is only maybe 1ft off the ground leaving my back to do all the work.

Think I'll practice my form with some lower weight and try recording it before I think about maxing out again.

RonnyB: Hopefully when I do sort my form out I'll surprise myself and hit 500