Thread: help with bulking and breaking out of the funk

lifterman87

help with bulking and breaking out of the funk

Okay, not to sound like the typical bulking help question, although maybe it will haha...it's been a long time since I've posted here. Anyway, I've been working out for a while, but feel like I've sorta settled into a funk where I'm not gaining--maintaining maybe, but not gaining. Obviously I know I need more caloric intake, that's a no-brainer, and with college the eating schedule has gotten a little outta whack I guess with different lunch schedules and such. But basically in the gym I've been doing two days a week, trying for an overall full body routine. I usually do two sets of each at about 10 reps. Now to sort of break out of this funk and actually see some progress, assuming the caloric intake is increased, do you think I should jack the weight a bit and drop the reps, and if so, how much? And as far as full body/2x per week regimens go, what would be your experience with this type of workout? I appreciate your input.
    More wannabe than big.

Give WBB1 a try dude. I can't post a link but I am sure someone else will put it up, or you can use the search button.

I did it for a while and saw some awesome gains in mass and strength. It may not seem like much but if you are pushing yourself and lifting heavy you will see gains (assuming you are eating enough).
    Last edited by gohard; 02-22-2009 at 01:13 AM.

WBB or Starting Strength has good compound movements. You don't have to follow them, but at least take a look at how they laid it out.
    I had the same problem, so I just dropped the number of sets, changed around the reps, and ended up lifting heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by lifterman87 View Post
    Okay, not to sound like the typical bulking help question, although maybe it will haha...it's been a long time since I've posted here. Anyway, I've been working out for a while, but feel like I've sorta settled into a funk where I'm not gaining--maintaining maybe, but not gaining. Obviously I know I need more caloric intake, that's a no-brainer, and with college the eating schedule has gotten a little outta whack I guess with different lunch schedules and such. But basically in the gym I've been doing two days a week, trying for an overall full body routine. I usually do two sets of each at about 10 reps. Now to sort of break out of this funk and actually see some progress, assuming the caloric intake is increased, do you think I should jack the weight a bit and drop the reps, and if so, how much? And as far as full body/2x per week regimens go, what would be your experience with this type of workout? I appreciate your input.
    You have answered some of your questions arleady. You know you have to eat more/better. Is two days all you can do? What two days are you training? I have some ideas for you after you answer those questions.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

lifterman87
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    You have answered some of your questions arleady. You know you have to eat more/better. Is two days all you can do? What two days are you training? I have some ideas for you after you answer those questions.
    I usually go to the gym Wed. and Sat., and with school and such that's worked pretty well. I do have a bench and some weights at home, so I could add a third day if I wanted just here at home. What ideas did you have?
    More wannabe than big.

Maybe Wednesday Squat 3 x 5, Overhead Press 3 x 5, some accessory work you feel needed with other other bodyparts . A few sets of anywhere between 10-15 reps here. Saturday Deadlift 3 x 5, Bench 3 x 5, Bent Over Rows 3 x's 5. Same thing with some accessory work. Start light maybe 60% of your 1 rep max in each of those exercises and try to add 10 lbs each week. When you can't add 10 lbs anymore drop the weight a bit and switch to sets of 3. Repeat as desired. You will have to decide when to deload and reset weights, but you should focus on continual progression, even if that means taking a step back every once and awhile.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

whats your best bench, squat, and deadlift?

I'm in college too and I've found the best cheap weight gainer is a combination of cottage cheese, whole milk, raw oatmeal, and natural or regular peanut butter (plus some whey if you have it). Add some frozen fruit too if you feel like though it won't do much to help the taste.

I do something like...

1/2 container of cottage cheese, 1/2 medium jar of nat. PB, 5-6 cups of whole milk, 2 cups raw oats, bag of frozen strawberrys, blend in a blender. Devour at your leisure.

The whole shake is about 3000 calories total, so i usually drink a 1/3 of it (about 1 glass) once a day. It tastes exactly like you expect - like you just combined cottage cheese, PB, milk and oatmeal in a blender - but isn't really *bad.* Its just not good. Just down it and remember why you're drinking it.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

lifterman87
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Maybe Wednesday Squat 3 x 5, Overhead Press 3 x 5, some accessory work you feel needed with other other bodyparts . A few sets of anywhere between 10-15 reps here. Saturday Deadlift 3 x 5, Bench 3 x 5, Bent Over Rows 3 x's 5. Same thing with some accessory work. Start light maybe 60% of your 1 rep max in each of those exercises and try to add 10 lbs each week. When you can't add 10 lbs anymore drop the weight a bit and switch to sets of 3. Repeat as desired. You will have to decide when to deload and reset weights, but you should focus on continual progression, even if that means taking a step back every once and awhile.
    Okay, so I definitely should add another set, especially for the compounds, and do fewer reps? All right. Now as far as a third day, do you think that's necessary, and if so, what would you focus on that day? Also, when you say accessory work, you said anything that felt needed--I would definitely want to do reverse pec fly for rear delts, as it has seemed to not have developed as much as my chest. Now would I do that one every time, until it "caught up" or whatever, and if so, should I stick with the 3x5 or 3x10-15?
    More wannabe than big.

Quote Originally Posted by lifterman87 View Post
    Okay, so I definitely should add another set, especially for the compounds, and do fewer reps? All right. Now as far as a third day, do you think that's necessary, and if so, what would you focus on that day? Also, when you say accessory work, you said anything that felt needed--I would definitely want to do reverse pec fly for rear delts, as it has seemed to not have developed as much as my chest. Now would I do that one every time, until it "caught up" or whatever, and if so, should I stick with the 3x5 or 3x10-15?
    You are going to have to figure out some things on your own. If you felt rear delts was needed, I would say do that at one of your sessions, 1 or 2 sets 10-15 reps. The overhead presses will fill those rear delts out as well. I was just tring to get you through 2 days per week. If you can do the third day that could change things. Hopefully Songsangnim sees this and can add to it. What are your strength levels like right now? Maxes on the big 3?

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    whats your best bench, squat, and deadlift?

I'm in college too and I've found the best cheap weight gainer is a combination of cottage cheese, whole milk, raw oatmeal, and natural or regular peanut butter (plus some whey if you have it). Add some frozen fruit too if you feel like though it won't do much to help the taste.

I do something like...

1/2 container of cottage cheese, 1/2 medium jar of nat. PB, 5-6 cups of whole milk, 2 cups raw oats, bag of frozen strawberrys, blend in a blender. Devour at your leisure.

The whole shake is about 3000 calories total, so i usually drink a 1/3 of it (about 1 glass) once a day. It tastes exactly like you expect - like you just combined cottage cheese, PB, milk and oatmeal in a blender - but isn't really *bad.* Its just not good. Just down it and remember why you're drinking it.
    holy ****. now im curious. i might actually try this.