The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What do you mean by "HIGH INTENSITY"

May be it comes as a silly one to you but here it is:
    What do you mean by HIGH INTENSITY training?

1. Heavy weights and 6-8 rep range?
    2. Extra heavy weights and 4-6 rep range?
    3. Explosive reps (with proper form ofcourse)?
    4. Little rest between sets?
    5. Screaming while lifting ?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: What do you mean by "HIGH INTENSITY"

To me this sums it up pretty nicely:

Dr. Ken Leistner
    High-intensity training is going all-out, not almost all out. It is taking one set to one's absolute limit, not almost to the limit. It is using whatever equipment that is available, not just a machine or group of machines. It is not the words of two or three men, but a commitment to work as hard as possible while in the gym without socializing, resting excessively between sets, or falling prey to the 'this isn't going to work so I'll copy the star' attitude.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

very well said

Anything at 85% of your 1RM or higher.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy

Re: Re: What do you mean by "HIGH INTENSITY"

Blood&Iron ...

Gotta agree, gotta agree.....
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

If you aren't longing for the relief that death will bring you after a set, than you aren't intense enough. (J/K btw)

I think B&I summed it up pretty well. Pretty much going all out, taking yourself to your true limit (I have seen very few people do this).
    Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
    -Unknown

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by DaCypher
    If you aren't longing for the relief that death will bring you after a set, than you aren't intense enough. (J/K btw)

I think B&I summed it up pretty well. Pretty much going all out, taking yourself to your true limit (I have seen very few people do this).
    I'm just quoting someone else. I'm not nearly so eloquent. In my words then:
    If you're being intense, there should be little pool of sweat at your feet, your lungs should be on fire, and you should have the distinct feeling that at any moment you might vomit.

Now, of course, I no longer believe this ideal in terms of building muscle, but it will always be my definition of intensity(I'll never understand the definition that uses a % of one's 1RM. Not that it's invalid or anything.)

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell