The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Good Form and Weightlifting?

Hi
    Why is good form important when weightlifting and building muscle?
    I know that using good form prevents injury but there's very little information on the technical reasons behind why it builds muscle faster.

Surely if I use less than good form I am building some muscle.

Could somebody please explain this.

Thanks.
    Dan.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by dandman12 View Post
    Hi
    Why is good form important when weightlifting and building muscle?
    I know that using good form prevents injury but there's very little information on the technical reasons behind why it builds muscle faster.

Surely if I use less than good form I am building some muscle.

Could somebody please explain this.

Thanks.
    Dan.

How much doy you weigh?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Well, there are 1 reason that I can think of off the top of my head. If you don't use good form, you're not utilizing the muscles properly or efficiently. Think of it as "cheating". Sure, you'll move the weight around, but the muscles you're supposed to use won't get the best benefit.
    But the biggest reason is to prevent injury, especially when you go on to lifting very heavy weights.

Just call me a Gym Rat!
    I hate it when you see the guy next to you just jerking and trying to go as fast as possible. Elbows are everywhere and the backs all out of line. Just take your weights nice and slow and work on how you lift and not how fast you go. Remember to throw in a few negative presses too...

KK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodypumper View Post
    I hate it when you see the guy next to you just jerking and trying to go as fast as possible.
    Moving the weight as fast as possible in itself is not bad form. There is a benefit to developing explosiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodypumper View Post
    Remember to throw in a few negative presses too...
    I wouldn't do that, IMHO.

When you have good form you are lifting the weight in the most efficient way possible. So if you are trying to continue to make gains having good form will allow you to lift the most weight. And if you continue to add weight with bad form you will inevitably get hurt.

Dr. Dudley-Robey DrDudley-Robey's Avatar

Not lifting - Not Gaining

The simple reason is that weightlifting takes time, if you get injured it sets you back. No lifing due to injury - no Gains!

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Most important reason would be injury prevention. The longer that a person is able to lift the more opportunity there is to develop muscle. I would say that mechanical efficiency would be next. Think of the body as a collection of levers moving the resistance through space. You want to be able to move the most weight possible with the least amount of wasted energy.

There is a time for cheating (intentionally using less than perfect form). But that comes only after learning perfect form and making it habit. Once a lifter becomes more advanced and weights become very heavy cheating on the last rep or two of the last set can be a method of increasing workload. It should NOT be done until after proper form has been mastered. Lifting as about getting stronger, not stroking one's ego.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Banned

good form for recording

What is a good form for recording weight training? ... In:
    Exercise, Weightlifting, Weight Training and Strength Training

To the OP - proper form builds muscle more efficiently and allows you to lift more weight. Proper form also helps stave off injury.

To Hannan - I use Excel and build my weekly routine on Sundays. I then print out the entire week's routine. I cut it up, fold it up and put that small paper in my pocket with a golf pencil. I record what I lifted on that paper. When I get home, I enter it into the spreadsheet. There are also training log books for purchase at many places. Many don't like to carry around a book, since I always have a gym bag with equipment in it, I could do either. I just got in the habit of small paper and a pencil in my pocket.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

rb- I think Hannan is a spambot...Either that or he's just a guy with odd typing style. But if he is, I'm not sure why he's advertising garage door openers and apartments in his sig.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576