The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The English Teacher's journey for a "student body"

Here I go once again, on the road to get in shape. Iíve been lifting for several years and I will admit that my work habit has depleted in the last few years. Well, that ends now. Sure things are easier when youíre single I paid rent on an apartment, I drove a beat up truck, and my only bills included cell, gym, and rent. Now that Iím married I have a house payment, two new car payments, utilities, cell, and plus the daily upkeep of a house. In addition, I went from a job where I clocked out and stayed out. Now that Iím teaching it, take work home with me every day. Then on top of all that, Iím completing my Masterís degree. The pressures of this new life required some life changes that affected my training. Not to say that I regret anything, but itís been an adjustment that has taken time.

Surgery Scar

Iíve been on a break since January due to shoulder surgery required repairing damages from years of lifting and manual labor. The strength on my right shoulder is minimal and half the battle will be gaining strength back on my shoulder. In addition, I have chronic back pain from Level I
    spondlyothesis, scoliosis, wedged vertebrates from a previous fracture, and bulging disc with a tendency to slip. Over all Iím screwed up, but I plan to work through it as much as I can. I cannot squat, dead lift, run, pull, or jump. Iíve been very strict with these rules up to now, but as of now, I plan to run. Iíve bought a back brace, shoe insoles, ice packs, heating packs, Motrin, and a camel pack. Camel pack is important; where I live it, the daily highs are in the 110+ degrees.

Me before starting working out in mid June 6 months post surgery at 185lbs

I started lifting a little less than a month ago, I weighted 185lbs, and I had minimal strength. My goal has been to eat, lift, eat, and sleep. Iíve been eating everything under the sun and my goal has been to gain size and strength. So far, strength is coming along, but Iím taking it easy on my shoulder, size has been satisfactory Iím up to 200lbs. Iíve been supplementing with ON whey protein, carbo-load, glutamine, Six Star Creatine, and Body Fortress NOS. Funny, but the Six Star and Body Fortress, which I bought at Wal-Mart for under $20 has worked better than the more expensive supplements Iíve tried in the past.
    Tomorrow I will begin my running program and I will report how that goes. My goal is to get my cardio out side of my house and I have other options if that does not work. I will begin a slight cut and a full cut starting on Monday and supplement with NxLabs Methy Ripped. I have a source in here in California that will provide me with ephedrine, but itís pretty pricey so Iíll give this a shot and if not Iíll resort to some income adjustment to obtain the good stuff. I'll post current pictures hopefuly tomorrow.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Best of luck man! You look jacked in your avatar!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Do that voodoo that he do
    Good luck, man. We haven't seen you around in quite a while.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Best of luck man! You look jacked in your avatar!
    Thanks, it would be nice to look like did in my avatar, but my doctors tell me I won't be able to bench over 300lbs anymore, but what do they know.

I weighted 175lbs @ 10% bf in my avatar. those were the days
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    Good luck, man. We haven't seen you around in quite a while.
    Thanks Borris, I've been very busy teaching and finishing my masters that I neglected my WBB family. Now it's time to

Motivate a fatty here.

Today I went for my first run in almost 8 years. First off, I am way out of shape. My back feels good. I had to stop a few times during my jog to catch my breath and puke. My back was not that big of a factor and although it hurt while I run it was shortness of breath take made me stop not my back. Part of me feels that it must be weak and after a few outings it should hurt anymore. Tomorrow I think I'll do cardio on the bike and rest my back. I don't want to over do it.
    When I got home I worked out and it went very well I had a lot of intensity and energy. I did bicepts, tricept, and traps. On these smaller muscles I tend to super set my entire workout.
    I'll stop taking the creatine because it tends to cause bloating and I can't deal with the extra water retention.
    Today I weight in at 202lbs ()

Updated picture:202lbs+ belly+love handles

Shirt on: I still can't stand to post a picture of my fat gut

The trunks: Due to my back problem my legs have always been my weakness. (check out the sexy belly )

Motivate a fatty here.

My Sanctuary and Motivational Board

My Torture Device

Motivate a fatty here.

My wife and I just found out we are having a baby girl!

Motivate a fatty here.

Woah, that's an abrupt change of journal pace! Haha, congratulations man!

All the more reason to get back in shape! Looks like you've got a good plan laid out and a good start on things here. Lookin' very thick in the shoulders bro. Best of luck as you embark on this leg of your journey.

A new baby girl will be sweet...livin large I see and 'muscle memory' is doing much to get more size back.

Thanks Noxon and Cocoa for the comments. My wife and I are very excited. The tough part now is deciding on a name. We narrowed it down to Maya, Gabriela, or Anabela. What do you think?

I'm posing my journal so that I can stay motivated and on top of my goals. Your comments and feedbacks serve as a great source motiation, keep them coming.

Today I weighted in at 198lbs, 4lbs lighter which is most likely water.
    Today I woke up and my legs were sore and my back is tender (or sore, it's hard to tell). I decided to take it easy on my body and tortured myself on the bike for 60 minutes at a mid-high pace while watching "Saw". Since today would have been back and shoulers I decided to no push it and rest and eat. I don't want to push too far and end up not being able to train at all.

Precardio:
    1xMethyl Ripped and Glutamine

Breakfast:
    4 egg whites + 2 whole eggs
    1/2 cup of oatmeal
    1 Tblspn of Honey
    4oz of OJ

Mid meal:
    Two scoops of ON Whey (48 gm of Protein, 6 gm of Carb)
    Two scoops of Carbo Plus (36 gm of Carbs)
    1 Tblspn of Flaxseed Oil
    1 Multi Vit.
    2 cups of Water

I'll take another Methyl Ripped an hour later.

This is my meals as of right now.

Motivate a fatty here.

Your journal title is slightly disturbing...

J/K Looking pretty decent considering the long layoff, man. Oh, and congrats on the baby girl! Can't really go wrong with any of those names. I like them all.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I like Maya because it is not very common.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

I've seen Maya more than I've seen the other two. Maya the Bee, Maya Angelou...
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

good luck with the program....good efforts so far. congrats on the baby girl. I have a 4 year old boy and a 1 year old.....they keep me busy for sure. they are my life.

I have a god daughter named Maya, so maybe I'm a bit biased, but I think it's a beautiful name.

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, my wife and I are leaning towards Maya. It's a great name that is not used much.

Guido: I like the idea of my daughter sharing her name with Maya Angelou. After all I am an English teacher so I'm biased. Plus, Angelou is a great person and role model.
    And thanks for the kind words. I'm working hard and muscle momery is doing me good.

And I did think twice about my journal's title, but I figured it's a bodybuilding forum so why not use some word play.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

My back is actually starting to hurt and I think I might have hurt it when I went running yesterday. I spoke with my physical therapist and he was not happy that I had gone for a run. I made an appointment to see him in Tuesday and he asked me not to run until then I guess its back to the bike. My therapist plans to show me some low impact cardio using an inclining treadmill sounds fun (Iím being sarcastic). I will my back a couple of days rest and then Iíll go for some uphill jogging at a near by park. Iím hoping this might be less stress on my back.

Iíve tried other methods of cardio and they have not work well for me, which is why I am so set on running. Iíve tried an Elliptical Trainer, the movement was too awkward, and then it made my back hurt from the odd stance. Treadmill is the same thing as running, which I am told Iím not supposed to be doing. The stair master is great I love it, but those bastards are expensive and Iím not joining a gym just to get on the Step Master. I have my gym at home, the school where I teach gave me a key to their weight room, and Iím allowed to go in any time I want. Therefore, paying a gym fee is redundant. Iím basically restricted to my stationary recumbent bike, which is fine, but not the most exciting form of exercise.

The diet for the remainder of today has been ďeehhĒ. I did mention I was on a partial cut until Monday. My wife is pregnant and I eat what she eats, but we made a deal that starting Monday I will eat my own food. This week Iím helping her eat all perishable junk food so my wife doesnít have too much junk to make her fat. I have drunk a gallon of water so far so Iím not drinking my beers even though I can and I want to.

Tomorrow I plan for cardio and light weight training: Shoulders and easy legs. Since my back hurts now I will take it easy.

Motivate a fatty here.

Today I woke up to find a million of ant outside my house. Needless to say, there went my plans for my morning cardio. I went out and mowed my lawn short to scare out more ants and then I sprayed the hell out of them with extra commercial strenght bug spray. So much that ant problem. I poped a Ripped before I went out and I have to tell you I think I mowed my lawn in record time. I was sweating up a storm therefore I can actually say I did do cardio today.
    It seems my strenght is coming back because when I would empty the mower's bag it felt lighter and I would lift in one arm as if it were empty. This is my one glimps of hope that things are moving nicely.

I spoke to my physical therapist today and he was pointing out the sxtra weight gain and i explain what I had been doing. He told me that although I have gained muscle and strenght I also gained fat. It turns out I ate and trained like would before my surgery at a higher motabolism. Well since I hadn't worked out in six month my motabolism was slower and could not keep up with my extra calorie intake. Ha...makes sense, why did I think of that before.

My diet is off today, my wife and I are going out to celebrate discovering our baby's sex. So we will be going to so some fancy Italian place with 1,000+ calorie garlic bread . It's a good thing my full diet doesn't begin until Monday.
    Last edited by steveo; 07-13-2007 at 03:13 PM.

Motivate a fatty here.

Congrats on the little girl. Very solid base to build on, best of luck. We all know it isn't luck.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

Itís one in the morning and I canít sleep. I feel restless and my mind wonít stop wandering. I seek answers for several ideas that I cannot answer, at least not at this moment. I feel the need to do what I know best and until I do this restlessness will not fade. I may not have a strong gift, but, ****, itís what I do best. Better than all the bull****, that I say controls my life: lifting, dieting, studying, working, living on this cumbersome society that has my number as a minority.

I sit here now doing the only thing that ever eases my mind and that is write. Of all the mediocre challenges that have confronted my life, writing has challenged me beyond my physical body. Hell, I donít nave be the best at it as long as I am sincere, that is all that matter. Langston Hughes once wrote ďAnd let that page come out of you--/ Then, it will be true.Ē This is coming out of me therefore it is true, right? If it makes sense to you then it was meant for you to read, but it doesnít, Iím sorry for wasting your time. I refuse to edit my work, unclean as it may be and as rough as it may flow, it is raw and we never edit out thoughts and ideas, so why must we worry about how we sound in writing. We donít care how we sound in our mind because we are free from judgment. Well, I write the same. What leads me here today and am I restless tonight? This started yesterday:

For six-seven years I worked for Costco, I made many great friends, and as much as I hated working there, but in time it became a second home to me. I find spending hours, and myself walking in walking from aisle to aisle talking with every other employee catching up on lives and sharing the recent rumor. I worked in every department during my time there and I know every person in the place. This doesnít mean I like every one, but never the less I know everyone. Yesterday I go in to drop of some medication prescriptions and I walk around as I wait and speak with some of the old co-workers. As I stood there catching up with Ruben he asks:
    ďYou remember Gina, right?Ē
    ďOh yeah, whatís up with that nut?Ē
    ďShe hung herself yesterday,Ē I stood there bitten my tongue in shock, ďshe committed suicide.Ē
    Well, I didnít know whether to feel like the biggest dick on the planet or simple as how expecting to know my comment ďnutĒ had to do with it. Gina was a girl a little other than me she was tall and very skinny. I remember as almost being attractive, except for the fact that she was too thin and had high penciled in high eyebrows. She had been working there for five year when I came into the company. We worked in the same department at some point and she was well liked by management, but most the women in the store wore two faces around her. They smiled around her and talked behind her back. Why? I have no idea. Either something old or a girl thing. I had also heard stories of her sleeping with several of the men in the store maybe that was a reason. Well she was married and had three kids and when she worked in the office, she had pictures of husband and children looking happy and all that ****. At some point, she was promoted to supervisor and she became my supervisor while I was a cashier. She was the type of person who let power go to her head and she felt the need to test her power. I am the type of person who does not take **** from anyone and that includes employers. I am your typical perfect union leader, I am not afraid to point out to management is doing wrong and I write letters and make phone calls to regional offices. Therefore, right away, we were destined to but heads and we did. I one point we got into an intense argument about her disapproval of my speedy checking. She felt that I was going to make a mistake at the pace I was working, well, I had been a cashier for over a year, and I had never been audited, so I made I known. One thing leads to another and we end up in the store managerís office having a ďtalkĒ. It turns out I was not the only one who had issues with her and they point that I should not be so out spoken. After a few weeks, she is moved to another department. After that, we never talked to each other. We see one another walking by, but we never acknowledge each other.

Time goes by and I hear about her divorce and little while later she is gone on medical leave. It turns out she had a nervous breakdown and was given time off. She was gone for about 6-8 months and she finally returns. She had gained weight from taking anti-depressants for her depression that none of use knew she suffered from. Well, the extra weight on her filled her in nicely even though she had some skin folding over her pants. The men in the store actually checked her out and I had to admit that she looked healthy and attractive. I remember saying ďhelloĒ to her when she came back and the tension between was not completely gone, but we still would truly talk. It wasnít long before she lost the weight and returned to her sickly figure. I remember thinking that the rapid weight loss seemed unhealthy. Itís not as if she had any muscle, you were able to see her collarbone. I didnít think much about it.

Time went by and **** goes down hill. New management changes make the working environment a living hell and of course, I make my dissatisfaction known. By this time I was working in Majors, which is the electronics department, I was one of two employees who had endless knowledge that made us perfect for the job. I knew I would be tough to replace so I bargained a lot fighting for better shifts, duties, and eliminating peon responsibilities. I had a BA in English I was working my way through my MA, but got to the point that I got sick and decided to make career change. I quit and got a teaching job. The work was tougher, but the pay was rewarding. I worked at Costco for almost seven years and I loved the people and I miss them, but ****, I hated the bull****. I go back to shop and catch up with the people. Management is actually bearable now that I donít have to deal with them and there are some, which I refuse to speak to. Yesterday it should have been the same thing. There shouldnít have been any surprises or twist in the plot. I heard she had another nervous break down and took more time off. When she came back, she was behaving strange and was sent for a drug test and it came back positive. She was let go. A week later, she lost custody of her children and a week later she was found hung in her bedroom.

Gina, what were your skeletons, what did you hide in your closet? Life is tough I know that very well. I had it tough and I understand challenges, but why? Iím up tonight with thoughts running circles in my mind. Is it guilt over the negatively that I had towards you for so many years? Is it sadness for your children, who will grow old with out their mom? Did I mean to call you a ďnut?Ē Is that it, why was I such an *******? Itís who I am and Iíll always beÖthe *******, **** talker, pessimist, outspoken, the angry poet, and the liberal writer. Iíve written this way as long as I have known it has gotten me published and recognized. Itís the screenplay of my life. Gina, we are the same your weakness was pride and my weakness is the same (stubbornness). You poor troubled soul. My stubborn mind refuses to believe in it, but I hope you get in.

Motivate a fatty here.

Tomorrow is the big day and It seems I have gotten rid of possible junk food. I ate the last donut last night.

Ah my last taste of freedom:

Tomorrow I will perform Cardio on the stationary bike and do chest and shoulders. I will see my physical therapist on Tuesday and we will discuss the possiblity of using a mountain bike for cardio. I'm looking forwards to going for bike rides. I live a block away from the open country and I that would be fun cardio. God I hope I can ride a bike with my bad back.

Motivate a fatty here.

Biking is the way to go for now with the cardio...you like writing and you do it well I might add -

Today's stats:

202.5lbs

Chest: 43"
    Waist: 40"
    Left/Right Bicept: 17"
    Left/Right Forearms: 13.5

Right Tigh: 26.5"
    Left Tigh: 26"
    Right/Left Calves: 15.5"

Cardio: 45min on Bike

Weight Training: Shoulders & Traps

Although I weight in at 202lbs later on I weight 204lbs and this is after a gallon of water and four meals. I usually fluctuate around 5-10 pounds during the day. So I'm guessing that I am holding a lot of water and I should be flushing soon.

Consider this my Before Picture:

Motivate a fatty here.

My cardio choices were limited too due to a knee injury -- the bike did me good. It's also really nice to get out and enjoy some scenery. It beats the hell out of the drudgery of indoor cardio!

Today I weight in at 197.5lbs (-5lbs) water most likely

I did cardio on the stationary bike for 45 minutes and then I had to go to physical therapy for my neck and back. I will consider that my weight training for today besides I need to work on my Master Thesis today. As long as I stick to my diet I will stay on track and I will.

I need to scrape up some money to buy a mountain bike so I can get out of the house for cardio. My therapist said I can bike so I've started scaping up whatever money I can.

This is my goal:

It's a Schwinn Rocket with full suspension, it'll set me back about $300-$400 but I figure the full suspension will be good on my back and neck. I if I can't come up with the money I might have to resort to one of these here:

Last edited by steveo; 07-17-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Motivate a fatty here.