The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    253

    Plateau,help needed

    Hi all,my bench press,deadlift and squats are all hitting plateau....deadlift and squats i have been doing 3x5 and benchpress 3x8

    I was wondering changing deadlift and squats to higher reps like 3x10? and bench press to 5x5?

    What you guys think? workable?

    thnx

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Wannabebig Member 03mach421's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    42
    I think its would be a good idea to go 5x5 on bench, and make sure your last rep on your last set is at the point of failure (if that makes sense). 3x10 may be a little too many reps for deadlift IMO

    Ive also noticed that doing dumbell presses after BB bench has helped increase my strength a lot
    Last edited by 03mach421; 02-27-2009 at 02:00 AM. Reason: add
    Age: 22
    6'1"
    200lbs
    Dead: 425
    Bench: 270
    Squat: 350

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by 03mach421 View Post
    I think its would be a good idea to go 5x5 on bench, and make sure your last rep on your last set is at the point of failure (if that makes sense). 3x10 may be a little too many reps for deadlift IMO

    Ive also noticed that doing dumbell presses after BB bench has helped increase my strength a lot
    yes,i do dumbbell bench press too but it seem i am still getting Plateau

  5. #4
    Resolute -JM-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,581
    Reps and Sets alone dont really mean much unless you have a specific goal in mind.

    Just my thoughts, but provided you are putting everything into each session at the gym, have been making consistent progress and your lifts have genuinely come to a halt, the first things I would consider would be food and rest.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Reps and Sets alone dont really mean much unless you have a specific goal in mind.

    Just my thoughts, but provided you are putting everything into each session at the gym, have been making consistent progress and your lifts have genuinely come to a halt, the first things I would consider would be food and rest.
    i don think rest is my problem.....maybe food would be the real cause but i have been sticking with my food routine for quite some time and my lift have been going up before i hit plateau

  7. #6
    Loves gravy mattburns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by jumperzz View Post
    i don think rest is my problem.....maybe food would be the real cause but i have been sticking with my food routine for quite some time and my lift have been going up before i hit plateau
    If that's the case I would say eat another 3-400 cals.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by mattburns View Post
    If that's the case I would say eat another 3-400 cals.
    speaking the truth,i don track my calories ....i think the moment i say this,i gonna be flame

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by jumperzz View Post
    Hi all,my bench press,deadlift and squats are all hitting plateau....deadlift and squats i have been doing 3x5 and benchpress 3x8

    I was wondering changing deadlift and squats to higher reps like 3x10? and bench press to 5x5?

    What you guys think? workable?

    thnx
    Jump,

    As someone once said, "Everything works but nothing work forever." That has to do with the Hans Selye's General Adaptaion Theory. Joe Weider later ripped Selye off and re-marketed it as "Muscle Confusion".

    What happens is you body adapts to your training program. Then your progress stops. That means you need to make some changes to your program.

    The same thing happens in sports, like football. If you run the same play all the time, the defense will eventually learn how to stop you. So, a team mixes plays up.

    It the same thing with you training. That is in part what periodization training is all about.

    As Flynn said, before you change you program up, you need to decide what you goal is.

    Kenny Croxdale

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Croxdale View Post
    Jump,

    As someone once said, "Everything works but nothing work forever." That has to do with the Hans Selye's General Adaptaion Theory. Joe Weider later ripped Selye off and re-marketed it as "Muscle Confusion".

    What happens is you body adapts to your training program. Then your progress stops. That means you need to make some changes to your program.

    The same thing happens in sports, like football. If you run the same play all the time, the defense will eventually learn how to stop you. So, a team mixes plays up.

    It the same thing with you training. That is in part what periodization training is all about.

    As Flynn said, before you change you program up, you need to decide what you goal is.

    Kenny Croxdale
    my goal now would be to get rid of my man boobs at the same being able to lift some heavy ass weight,possible?

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by jumperzz View Post
    my goal now would be to get rid of my man boobs at the same being able to lift some heavy ass weight,possible?
    Disclaimer: I'm a total newb. Seems to me though that you need to focus on one or the other. Sure, both areas will likely improve, but I think that you need to decide which is more important to you, losing the fat or gaining strength. Correct me if I'm wrong.

  12. #11
    Senior Member wontstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    157
    try alternating DB press with normal bench for a couple weeks, this helps me if i get stuck on a weight on either workout. just mix it up a bit, throw something new at your body every once in a while
    18 yrs old
    176 lbs

    Just looking to build muscle, not too worried about being cut

  13. #12
    Squat Heavy, Squat Often Cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,944
    how come I haven;t seen, eat more food?
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

    “Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

  14. #13
    Loves gravy mattburns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    how come I haven;t seen, eat more food?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattburns View Post
    I would say eat another 3-400 cals.
    ..


  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by mattburns View Post
    ..

    alright,i throw in another 300g of breast meat and see how it goes

Similar Threads

  1. Critique my workout...if needed
    By j03 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 12:50 PM
  2. Coach Needed ($)
    By Don Birnam in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 11:48 PM
  3. Worried about calory intake .... Advice needed!
    By MorganB in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 08:57 AM
  4. help needed to work out how many calories needed to cut?
    By Asian Dynamo in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2003, 12:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •