The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

anyone elses sternum cartilage is messed up?

about 5 years ago, i was sparring with a speedy viet boxer and he landed a wicked chest shot on my sternum. it kind of knocked the breath out of me. after that i felt fine. fastforward couple months, and my chest starts feeling discomfort when i move. the pain/discomfort lessens and plateaus. after that, one day, i was twisting my body and i hear a popping sound and immediately the pain is relieved. but after awhile it comes back. since then its never gone away. i have gotten an x ray of my chest once and the doctors didnt notice it.

i know some weightlifters may encounter this problem.

here are some links i have found regarding this info:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...6104035AArZb2C

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/7934

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    I'm not sure if this is similar or not but my sternum takes heavy hits from powercleaning and if I sit at a computer or desk for too long it gets uncomfortable. However, by pushing my chest far enough forward I am able to essentially pop it outwards, which relieves all the stress and feels pretty weird. I'm not sure if it's a serious problem or not, though, as it's more just discomfort than pain.
    Last edited by nsiderbam; 02-26-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Many years ago I started stretching at my desk by pushing my chest forward and raising my arms. My sternum would pop and I would feel a release. It turns out it wasn't good for me as I started pushing the cartilage on my sternum forward and created a "bump" on my chest.

I went to the chiropractor and he told me that I had some slight scoliosis on the spine. Straightening out my thoratic spine would also move my ribs, eventually causing the pop in my sternum. Each rib has two joints, one on the vertebra and one on the sternum.

The chiropractor corrected the problem by increasing the mobility of my thoratic spine area.

My sternum will still pop when I stretch, but it is a mild release and not damaging.

Wannabebig New Member

my cartilage pops above my sternum !

Aghori,
    I've been popping my sternum cartilage for about 8 yrs now and you are the firs person i've come across that has had such similar experience. I feel like i've been using it as a legitimate stretch to indeed grow into better posture and such. When I flex out with great intent and outward and upwardly stretching my back , I get pops all throughout my back are and then the sternum too with all it's pops, and this feels amazing everytime as long as I follow it through like yoga style. From your experience would you imagine that this could be okay and healthy? i've never established a bump on my chest like you did and it almost seems like it may be very similar to what you refer to as a mild case of it that you still presently experience ?? I want to know more , i'd like to gain 10 thousand perspectives any and all of your attention will be so greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by flowerchild View Post
    Aghori,
    I've been popping my sternum cartilage for about 8 yrs now and you are the firs person i've come across that has had such similar experience. I feel like i've been using it as a legitimate stretch to indeed grow into better posture and such. When I flex out with great intent and outward and upwardly stretching my back , I get pops all throughout my back are and then the sternum too with all it's pops, and this feels amazing everytime as long as I follow it through like yoga style. From your experience would you imagine that this could be okay and healthy? i've never established a bump on my chest like you did and it almost seems like it may be very similar to what you refer to as a mild case of it that you still presently experience ?? I want to know more , i'd like to gain 10 thousand perspectives any and all of your attention will be so greatly appreciated
    Dude, thread's 3 years old...let it rest in peace.
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23