Thread: Derek Poundstone looks ready for the AC

Derek Poundstone looks ready for the AC

Video

Holy balls Derek is stupid strong! It'll be sweet watching the strongman comp this year.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    WOW - I wish the comp at the Arnold was televised.

My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Who you callin' Clown? TUEFELHUNDEN's Avatar
    Sorry, but that looks like the sickest gym in the world!!

The lift was beyond rediculous though.
    Goal = IM 70.3 Racine 2010 (Sub 5 hour)
    LOG----->http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...58#post2079858

Banned
    Unless you've ever lifted a heavy stone you can't begin to even comprehend that - That's a world record lift. I've loaded a 425 to about the same height and I couldn't imagine what a 565 must feel like on the arms and back. Truly impressive

Has anyone ever loaded a stone that heavy before?

That is just such a crazy lift. What amazed me as well was his endurance! He tries like 3 times to get it up over the bar and just keeps holding on to it!! moving it around til he positions it right. And then to even consider trying it again haha. Just amazing power

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

that is sick!
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Has anyone ever loaded a stone that heavy before?

That is just such a crazy lift. What amazed me as well was his endurance! He tries like 3 times to get it up over the bar and just keeps holding on to it!! moving it around til he positions it right. And then to even consider trying it again haha. Just amazing power
    He has some sick endurance for sure.

I've been out of the loop for SM for a while, but the heaviest I know of was Travis Ortmayer's 522 load. I think there was a European guy that had reportedly loaded a heavier one but I can't be sure. Tom might know.

Banned
    Steve MacDonald - 522# stone load at the Arnold two years ago

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by =Travis= View Post
    Steve MacDonald - 522# stone load at the Arnold two years ago
    I think somebody else has upped it from there even...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    I think somebody else has upped it from there even...
    Last year's Arnold, Zydrunas repped a 525 for 3.

Day 2 would begin with the Manhood Stones. The largest stones used in any competition weighing in at 525 and 484lbs. Each athlete was given an attempt at the 525 and an opportunity to load the 484 if no successful attempt was made. This event would prove to separate the field and further our leader from the pack as Derek and Mikhail both loaded the behemoth stone for 1 rep each. Zydrunas would amaze onlookers with possibly one of the most incredible feats of strongman strength ever witnessed with 3 powerful reps with the 525. This would give him a 2- point lead over Derek with only 2 events remaining.
    http://www.americanstrongman.org/art....asp?ArtID=271

"You wanna do it again?! What the hell?"

LOL

That guy is insane. I have a 300 lb'r in my backyard. My buddy made it for me as a gift awhile back, I load it and unload it into the back of my truck occasionally. I can't even begin to imagine 555.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    He has some sick endurance for sure.

I've been out of the loop for SM for a while, but the heaviest I know of was Travis Ortmayer's 522 load. I think there was a European guy that had reportedly loaded a heavier one but I can't be sure. Tom might know.
    Travis Ortmayer did have the heaviest single and at the arnold last year Big Z hit the 520 stone for a couple of reps (3?).

Derek had the "viper stone" made for that reason, I believe it is a 21.5" diameter stone with a 300 lbs lead insert in the middle. His 555 lbs load is the heaviest documented atlas stone load out there!

There was a 600 lbs stone at a contest recently and Travis was there to attempt it but had some trouble with gripping the stone and was not able to lap it.

As Ben mentioned these numbers are simply unbelieveable. The average "strong" guy would likely not be able to load a 250 lbs stone the first time that they attempted it, and for experienced national level strongmen a 400 lbs stone is the benchmark for that being a "good" event for you. Going over 500 is world class and Derek's lifting lately has been simply amazing.

It looks like the Arnold is going to come down to Poundstone, Misha, and Ortmayer with a couple of other strong americans like Brian Shaw in the mix since Zydrunas (who has won for the past 4+ years) will not be participating.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 03-03-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

What a chump. I mean seriously, he only did it once. He must have Marfans or something.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

What a ****ing beast. He just powered through that. I can't believe he had any left in the tank to try to load it a second and then third time.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

That is just nuts. I have a couple that are probably in the 100kg range and they are plenty heavy for a guy like me. Amazing.

I wonder what the cardio crowd thinks when those boulders hit the ground. They must be used to it I guess with all those strongman implements there. Is that the Ironsport Gym in PA?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    They must be used to it I guess with all those strongman implements there. Is that the Ironsport Gym in PA?
    Retro in Waterbury, CT.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Maybe USA will have WSM back soon.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

professional psychopath
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    What a chump. I mean seriously, he only did it once. He must have Marfans or something.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing once
    Clearly, daddy didn't beat you enough as a child. If you were in front of us you'd show respect, so don't be an internet punk. - Matt Rhodes

abebesheir
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Retro in Waterbury, CT.
    I watched the clips of Derek benching and doing seated presses. Where those done at Retro, too? Does anyone know how that gym is for powerlifting? Looks like a great gym!
    5'5 207
    35 years old
    405-315-460=1180
    Feds lifted in: ADAU, APA, NOVA, 100% Raw, USAPL