The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Time to mix it up or not?

SS testimonial here, lol. I gained 16lbs (with no noticeable change in body fat)in 2 1/2 months on this method, from 133 to 149. Moved my bench from 120 up to 175, Squat 145 to 255, Powercleans 80 to 145, Military Press from 70 to 110, Deadlift from 135 to 235. And in terms of muscular size, there is a significant difference.

So In terms of gaining strength this program has worked great for me.

However, I feel like I need to mix it up, over the last 2-3 weeks my weight has not changed at all and my bench press and military press growth have significantly slowed. (It took me 2 1/2 weeks to go up from 100 to 110 mil press and from 165 to 175 has taken nearly as long) Additionally I feel like my powercleans are close to slowing but have not yet stopped. (note, my squats and dead lifts continue grow at 20-30lbs a week and no, I don't expect those results on my upper body)

So my question, Do I need a new program? Do I need to take a break and reset at a lower weight and start building again? Could the slowing of my gains in body weight and in exercises be because I'm not eating enough?

Thanks for the help. I've been on here for a few months now and all the advice I've gotten so far has worked great and for the first time in my life I have made a significant change to what my genetics dictated as my body's shape. I want to do more!!! :-)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I did want to note one other thing, I noticed my time to recovery has increased significantly since I started this program, I use to be good every other day with a two day once a week, now I typically require 2 days inbetween workouts.

If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong I'd really appreciate hearing about it. :-)

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Supra98x View Post
    SS testimonial here, lol. I gained 16lbs (with no noticeable change in body fat)in 2 1/2 months on this method, from 133 to 149. Moved my bench from 120 up to 175, Squat 145 to 255, Powercleans 80 to 145, Military Press from 70 to 110, Deadlift from 135 to 235. And in terms of muscular size, there is a significant difference.

So In terms of gaining strength this program has worked great for me.

However, I feel like I need to mix it up, over the last 2-3 weeks my weight has not changed at all and my bench press and military press growth have significantly slowed. (It took me 2 1/2 weeks to go up from 100 to 110 mil press and from 165 to 175 has taken nearly as long) Additionally I feel like my powercleans are close to slowing but have not yet stopped. (note, my squats and dead lifts continue grow at 20-30lbs a week and no, I don't expect those results on my upper body)

So my question, Do I need a new program? Do I need to take a break and reset at a lower weight and start building again? Could the slowing of my gains in body weight and in exercises be because I'm not eating enough?

The answer to all your questions is maybe or maybe not. I understand that's not a helpful answer, but everyone is different and has different responses to training, eating.... However I can give an answer based on what is most likely given the information you have provided (so long as you keep in mind this is just an educated guess)

"Do I need a new program?"

I really doubt it. You say you've only been on this for only 2.5 months...that's hardly enough time to plateau unless you are doing something really wrong. But to judge by your gains, that doesn't seem likely either.

Speaking of gains, you've heard of "newbie gains" correct? This term refers to the phenomenon that occurs when an untrained person starts working out seriously. Typically they experience fast gains in muscle growth and strength. However as they continue, the gains come slower and slower as the body gets more and more used to training. The more you advance the slower your gains come. The good news is that you can keep progressing for a very long time (decades even) it just won't be very fast forever.

"Do I need to take a break and reset at a lower weight and start building again"?

Again I doubt it. Given the time you've been on the program and the gains you've made...I think you'd just move backwards with this idea.

Could the slowing of my gains in body weight and in exercises be because I'm not eating enough?

Could be...or it just could be because the period of "newbie gains" is over and now the long hard slog begins. You could try increasing your caloric intake...if you gain too much bodyfat you could always cut back. My take on the situation is that it's mostly likely the latter.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-04-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    That actually might make sense regarding newbie gaines, as I've been doing bench press and military press since early December and have only been doing the other compound exercises that are part of SS since the very end of January. Which might explain why growth in those exercises has slowed whereas the rest keep going. (as in i'm still seeing newbie growth in the lower part of my body)

I think I will increase my caloric intake a bit since I don't have to worry about fat gain at this time (while it may sound strange, if I stop working out I lose weight, and I've had a six pack since I was 13, it's just part of my genes.)

Thank you so much, excellent advice and words of wisdom.

Out of curiousity, what happens during this "long hard slog" haha, is there any way to speed it up? And while I can understand the closer I get to my "genetic potential" the slower my gains will be, I have to think a 175lb bench is no where near that point. Or maybe I'm just being hopeful :-(

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Supra98x View Post
    That actually might make sense regarding newbie gaines, as I've been doing bench press and military press since early December and have only been doing the other compound exercises that are part of SS since the very end of January. Which might explain why growth in those exercises has slowed whereas the rest keep going. (as in i'm still seeing newbie growth in the lower part of my body)

I think I will increase my caloric intake a bit since I don't have to worry about fat gain at this time (while it may sound strange, if I stop working out I lose weight, and I've had a six pack since I was 13, it's just part of my genes.)

Thank you so much, excellent advice and words of wisdom.

Out of curiousity, what happens during this "long hard slog" haha, is there any way to speed it up? And while I can understand the closer I get to my "genetic potential" the slower my gains will be, I have to think a 175lb bench is no where near that point. Or maybe I'm just being hopeful :-(

Well what happens is that you get stronger and bigger (assuming you are doing everything right). And there are only two ways to speed it up. One is by having your training, diet and rest patterns spot-on which is extremely hard if not nigh-well impossible to do all the time. The second is by steroids (which I do not recommend). You've only been training for a few months...you're a long way from needing anabolics, if indeed ever. Other than those, it's just about spending time in the gym putting in the work.

Consistency and progression are the biggest factors in making any sort of gains.