Thread: Best Post-workout food ?

Best Post-workout food ?

I am always hearing different advice on this.

what is best to eat immediately after a workout ?

Protein

Carbs

Fats

I thought that it was protein.
    Any opinions?

Immediately after dextrose and malodextrin. you need to replenish your muscle glycogen. Then a half hour later or so, whey protein.

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

High-GI carbs and protein.

Always bad with diet
    What is considered high GI?
    Like a bagel or something, or white rice?

Yes. White bread. Potatoes. SweetTarts. Dextrose. Maltodextrin.

This should help you out. It's not ground breaking news but it basically sums up what you should try to take in to maximize your gains post workout.

CARBOHYDRATES POST WORKOUT
    Timing is everything. After an intense strength training session the first thing on most peoples minds should be to saturate their muscles with some form of carbohydrate.

Anabolic hormones such as Insulin go to work by shuttling the sugar that has been absorbed by the body. In the midst of this stream, amino acids are caught up as well and driven into the muscle cell along with the sugar.

Itís become evidently clear as research techniques improve that the type and amount of sugars that are ingested play an important role in determining how well your muscles soak up everything.

Carbohydrates that are recommended to be used post workout are dextrose, fructose and maltodextrin.

The amount of carbohydrates that can be used varies from 0.4-0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight. In a 200 lb individual, this would equate to taking roughly 80-160 grams of carbohydrates in the various forms mentioned.

Glucose is a monosaccharide, (this form of sugar canít be broken down any further, itís in its simplest form) which means it will be digested at a fast and efficient pace, this makes it an ideal carbohydrate for increasing blood sugar levels quickly.

Fructose, on the other hand, must be metabolized by the liver first before it can be absorbed into the muscles.

Fructose should be primarily used for replenishing liver glycogen stores and not muscle glycogen stores. Glucose and fructose are chemically similar; the only difference between the two is the structure. Maltodextrin is used to maintain blood sugar levels and ensure that there is a steady release of sugar into the blood stream.

In short, ingesting some glucose based drink; a small portion of fructose as well as some maltodextrin has so far proven to be the superior method of going about restocking the muscles glycogen stores.

You should be able to purchase these various carbohydrates in powder form for a decent price at any local supplement shop.

Maki R
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

would it be true then to say that you should ideally have supplements for protein carbohydrates and fats individually?

bone crusher
    Glucose and fructose are chemically similar; the only difference between the two is the structure

-this is said like it doesn't make much difference. It makes a huge difference

bone crusher
    i prefer white rice with hydrolized whey