The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

CrossFit training

Today for the first time I was exposed to CrossFit training. It actually looks really interesting for conditioning and wanted to know, have any of you tried or had success with the regimen? To me it simply seems like circuit training correct me if I'm wrong.

These were some videos I was looking at:
    media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_MashupAnnieMU-CJ.mov

vimeo.com/1922777
    Last edited by bahnboy; 03-06-2009 at 01:24 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Ya, there are a ton of guys that do cross fit on the board. You can see a ton of workouts and what they did in their journals, there are also a ton of older threads on this (not trying to kill this one). Do a search and you will be really pleased with what you read.

I was doing one crossfit workout a week, but I got a little bit of a shoulder injury right now, but here are a couple of my favorites.

Shoulder Press>Push Press>Push Jerk - totally brutal IMO
    Jumping Pullups - since I stink at pullups
    Overhead Squat
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Yeah I was doing a few searches. I did find a couple good older threads that's for sure.
    Shoulder Press>Push Press>Push Jerk
    Yeah that looks terrible, I saw it while watching a few of the videos. It seems that it would take A LOT of discipline unless you do the boot camps that I've seen. I've just been bored of my current workout as of late, so I was looking for something different.

It is fun but I do not believe in it as an only training source for my goals.
    Nick V

Wannabebig New Member
    I do some cross fit bro . I never felt better .

Check out Rosstraining.com Hands down , best source for fitness and strength .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Quote Originally Posted by bahnboy View Post
    Today for the first time I was exposed to CrossFit training. It actually looks really interesting for conditioning and wanted to know, have any of you tried or had success with the regimen? To me it simply seems like circuit training correct me if I'm wrong.
    It's more than just circuit training. That's why some people really like the approach, the variety. You are constantly switching up what you are doing, but the constant is getting better each time.

That's also why some people don't like the approach. There's no consistency in terms of the workouts, so progress doesn't come the same as following a powerlifting routine, for example.

Depending on your goals, it might be a good approach, but it's not the end all be all. Many posters swear by CF, many will say that a lifting routine with added plyo/agility/conditioning work will net better results. I followed the WOD's for awhile and lost weight/ gained endurance, but my strength wasn't increasing like it normally does.

I like it, but it can be very difficult to do Crossfit without the proper gym. My gym doesn't have the necessary equipment or space to do some of their workouts.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Crossfit is awesome but I personally believe that it should be started with a good strength base (probably able to squat 220lbs, DL 220lbs, clean 135lbs all for reps).
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

I have never been so incredibly beat as much as I was after a crossfit workout

If I didn't have injuries that prevented me from doing a lot of the exercises I would love to try to do it on a regular basis

Well I decided to stop by the Crossfit gym on Saturday. They gave me an intro program and that kicked my A$$!!! I'm and instant fan because my endurance with weights is terrible. I can lift but when it comes to lets say aerobic classes like at the gym, I suck real bad. I'm not sure if its cheap or not though, starts at about $270 for 3 months and that gives 2 classes per week. I think its $270 for 3 months or was it$270 per month for 3, will have to clear that up.

270 for 3 months isn't terrible if they're smaller classes.
    270/3 = 90$/month
    90/4 (roughly) = 22.5 a week = 11$ a class

Not too bad if it's a smaller class and you get a bit of face time and personal instruction from the trainer.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

That's a pretty typical pricing scheme for CrossFit in a big city. I'm guessing it's a little more than most commercial gyms. The vast majority of people that join a CF gym stick with it, so they have to charge more. The big gyms depend on 90% of people not succeeding and not coming.

I think CrossFit is a great "program." I have gone to a few different affiliates for the last couple years.

CrossFit is entails both heavy lifting and metabolic conditioning, so most people get stronger doing it. I wouldn't expect to set powerlifting records, but my workout partner does the WODs every day and has a 505DL/375 deep squat/215lb Overhead Press, and he's good at all the other lifts. He is not atypical. So, it's not like you're just going to become a weak cardio bunny doing CrossFit.
    (I do metcons twice a week and then 3x a week I do 3-4 heavy lifts training just for strength)

That said, my personal opinion is that it's good to start with a CrossFit base for about 6 months, then strength train until you are decent at everything, and then move to CrossFit for as long as you want to build your GPP. Then, move to sport-specific training while still incorporating some CrossFit WODs if that's what you're aiming for.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 03-09-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Oops actually I misread, starts at $200 per month and twice a week so $25 per class. Commitment is 3 months. Thats a bit pricey IMO, almost want to just do the WOD everyday. KingJustin, you said you work out partner completes it every day. Does he do it then workout with you? Or does he normally complete it at a different time?

I actually just completed a WOD with my workout partner by ourselves and yet again kicked my butt lol. I just enjoy the whole class environment though but still undecided on the class, mainly price now that I re-read lol.
    Last edited by bahnboy; 03-10-2009 at 08:44 PM.

I think that's just ridiculously pricey. A lot of the CF Gyms recently jacked up their rates and I think it's BS. Although the equipment that these gyms get is high quality, they are using all of about 8 pieces of equipment. To charge $200 for twice/week is ridiculous.

If you have the money, you should do it anyway (but do unlimited times/week) because the training help will be good. But otherwise, just workout in a commercial gym.

And by training partner I mean my buddy that works out at the same time as I do, and that I sometimes do the WODs with.

He just does the WOD and nothing else every day.

I couldn't justify the price of the local CF gyms. $125 a month plus a sign up fee. 95% of the workouts I can do at home or in a park. All your paying for is the group enviroment. For just what the first month would cost me I can go buy a kettle bell and medicine ball and have enough left over for other gear. The main crossfit site and most of affiliates post their WODs so it isn't like you have to go to see what they are doing.
    Nick V

I think there's a lot to be said for training on a "team". If you enjoy the programming and can afford it, I don't know why anyone wouldn't join a CF affiliate.

If I was interested in PL and there were a local team, I wouldn't say "Well, I can do all that on my own!"....
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I agree completely, but is that team worth $125 a month to lift with?
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    I agree completely, but is that team worth $125 a month to lift with?
    Not the same thing I realize, but if I were interested in PL, for example, and Louie said I could train at Westside for $125/month, I'd jump at the chance.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Not the same thing I realize, but if I were interested in PL, for example, and Louie said I could train at Westside for $125/month, I'd jump at the chance.
    There's even a little bit of a difference there. Would you pay that much to train with a "Westside affiliate" or just with Louie himself at Westside Barbell?

I dig the idea of CrossFit but not only do some of the workouts get REALLY intimidating, I've got problems with the cost too. If I could justify the money, I'd join one of the 3 CF gyms in my area.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Actually, if there were a good girevoy sport (kettlebell sport) team in the area, I'd probably be willing to drop a hundred bucks a month to train with them regularly...

My point was simply that CF fees are no different than team fees, personal trainer costs, etc...
    How much you value these things is an individual thing, but assuming you are receiving a good facility, equipment, competent coaching, and a group of like-minded individuals who will be a good support system for your goals, then it seems pretty reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Actually, if there were a good girevoy sport (kettlebell sport) team in the area, I'd probably be willing to drop a hundred bucks a month to train with them regularly...

My point was simply that CF fees are no different than team fees, personal trainer costs, etc...
    How much you value these things is an individual thing, but assuming you are receiving a good facility, equipment, competent coaching, and a group of like-minded individuals who will be a good support system for your goals, then it seems pretty reasonable to me.
    At that point, it just comes down to affordability, yes.

I'm considering finding an RKC trainer around here since I've gotten way into kettlebells lately...but I'm getting screwed at work so it's coming down to having to choose between affording groceries or finding a trainer. To add to that, the nearest trainer is 25 miles away.

It depends on how much money you have and how much you care about lifting.

Especially if you are newer, you will progress a lot faster by training in a crossfit gym.

Also, one more thing: Shop around the Chicago area for other CF affiliates (Chicago has 3 CF affiliates). A lot of the time, the most expensive ones are the worst ones.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 03-11-2009 at 03:48 PM.

I spoke to my local crossfit gym and he said the cost was mostly to cover the insurance, which is incredibly high for commercial gyms. I would assume that because they have a smaller client base, a greater percentage gets passed on to each person.

I am tempted to join the gym but it costs too much, is too far from my house and you can only train during a class so I would need to buy a regular gym membership on top of the crossfit membership.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

If you come through Iowa, let me know and we'll find time to train.

I don't think I had any idea you were in Iowa, but I will absolutely keep that in mind. Thanks for the offer.