The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Amending starting strength?

Or did I just destroy it?

Monday
    3x5 Side Dumbbell Raises
    3x5 Shoulder Press
    3x5 Shoulder Shrugs
    3x5 Dumbbell Rows
    3x5 Pull Ups

Wednesday
    3x5 Squats
    3x5 Deadlift
    3x5 Calf Raises

Friday
    3x5 Bench press
    3x5 Cable Crossers
    3x5 Barbell Curl
    3x5 Skull Crushers

Tuesday and Thursday
    3x20+ Full Body Crunches
    2x10 Face Down Neck Resistance
    2x10 Face Up Neck Resistance

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Did you even change anything from starting strength?

Looks like Mark Rippetoe wrote that himself...
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Just do the routine as-is, no need to change it.

Ya know, its a professionally designed routine... the man who made it has years and years of experience in almost every facet of weightlifting. I dont understand why people think they can whip up a better split without much thought or knowledge on the matter.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 03-11-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    You destroyed it...
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    You destroyed it...
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Just do the routine as-is, no need to change it.

Ya know, its a professionally designed routine... the man who made it has years and years of experience in almost every facet of weightlifting. I dont understand why people think they whip up a better split without much thought or knowledge on the matter.
    This.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Starting strength consists of 2 days, with 3 compound movements in each day, with the optional addition of 1 or 2 isolation exercises at the end.
    What you put there is something completely different, and in many people's opinion, unnecessary. Why don't you just stick with SS? Is there a reason you felt like you needed to change it?

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    Starting strength consists of 2 days, with 3 compound movements in each day, with the optional addition of 1 or 2 isolation exercises at the end.
    What you put there is something completely different, and in many people's opinion, unnecessary. Why don't you just stick with SS? Is there a reason you felt like you needed to change it?
    An absolutely giant guy at my gym took me around for a week and did something vary similar to what I typed above. His kid has a bench record at my high school too, and he trained him.

Quote Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
    An absolutely giant guy at my gym took me around for a week and did something vary similar to what I typed above. His kid has a bench record at my high school too, and he trained him.
    if anybody knows how to train properly, they can break a record. sure, they used that routine, but for how long? i'm sure if you used something as simple as starting strength, for the same amount of time that guy was training, you could surpass him.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post

People don't get big because of their routines. Were this true...every guy with a horrible routine would be tiny. Genetics, eating and rest play much bigger parts in determining whether you will be truly massive or not. That said, routines DO play a part, but it's much smaller than most people think.

I mean think about it. Most people are only in the gym 3-4 hours a WEEK. That's 3-4 hours out of 168. That's roughly about 2-3% of the week. But you spend much more time sleeping and eating.

What's my point?

Just because someone is big, does not mean that his current routine got him there. In fact he could have gotten big in spite of his routine.

Now this criticism can be applied to ALL routines whether they are the latest FLEX routine or SS. The difference is that while a large number of the exercises in FLEX routines are tossed together according to the latest fad or some pro bodybuilder's (mis)conceptions of what "worked" for him, SS is put together by a guy who's had a lot of experience/success training himself and training other people.

While everyone is different, there are certain guidelines that can be applied to the average drug free trainer (of course there are always exceptions to the rules). Here are just a few of the most important.

--Short intense sessions are better than hours-long marathon sessions.

--A handful of big compound exercises ( i.e. squat, deadlift,bench) trained hard are better than doing a circuit style, hitting every machine in the gym.

--Rest and diet are absolutely critical. Do not make a habit of skipping or skimping on either.

--Always have a clear goal of what you want to accomplish with the current workout (i.e. a PR, or one more rep, or a little more weight than last time...)

--Make sure your training is tailored towards your long-term goals ( if you are into powerlifting, you aren't likely to be doing a split bodypart routine with lots of isolation exercises.)

--Think. Always think. Hard work is good...hard work and clear thinking are even better.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-11-2009 at 07:25 PM.

well said.

Amended Starting Strength would be Starting Strength plus dips or SS + chin-ups.

What you posted is absolutely nothing like SS. If you want to do it go for it. If you eat enough you'll probably make gains. Just don't say you're "doing SS."

I'm not really sure how you could attach the title of starting strength to that routine.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

So, is not that bad to add some pullups? I like them, but i was afraid of destroying SS.

And another question about SS:
    -Since we are doing and improving squats every workout, its almost obvius that squats are gonna improve and reach its potencial before everything else. So, we'll have to stop squatting, or improving our squats before bench and deads and etc. Any toughts/help?

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I'm not really sure how you could attach the title of starting strength to that routine.
    That's what I was thinking. They have nothing in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post

My first thought, as well. I refrained from saying it......I'm still not sure why, though.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench