Thread: Training For A Strongest Man Competition

Training For A Strongest Man Competition

Not me unfortunately...still cutting...though I plan to compete next summer. I do, however, have a great friend that is going to compete this summer in a local Strongest Man competition. He is a considerably strong guy by my standards, and should be able to do quite well. Its all for fun though...not taking it too seriously as he will be competing with guys who have been doing this for a few years.

That being said, Im curious if there is anything specific he should have in his training regime to help get him ready. He has a fantastic dl, squat, etc. but I dont imagine those always translate directly to certain comp. items. Here are a few of the events:

Tire Flip Medley
    Overhead Press Medley
    Arm over Arm Truck Pull
    Tractor / Vehicle Deadlift
    Carry and Drag Medley
    Fingal Fingers
    Car Yoke
    Stones

Beyond standard compound lifts, and assuming he has limited access to things like tires, stones, etc. Any additional suggestions?
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Banned
    Do a search on here. This question has been answered many times. Good luck.

I did, and unless I missed them (which is entirely possible lol) this is the only useful:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ighlight=train

I was thinking I could maybe conjure up some more specific discussion from guys who have trained in the gym for the events and how they feel the exercises translated. I know some around here are fortunate enough to have more "suitable" equipment to train with.

Ill keep looking...
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

I've done two strongman competitions. In no order of importance he should

Get ****ing strong. Self explainatory.
    Get a good gas tank. Strongman is one of the most exhausting things I've ever done in my life, and last year I did badly because of my conditioning.
    Find a way to train the events. A weaker guy who's used the equipment can beat out a stronger one who hasn't.

I can answer more specific questions if you have them.

Wannabebig Member
    Train with the implements or he's toast. end of story.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MBertrand View Post
    Train with the implements or he's toast. end of story.
    Not necessarily - strength can muscle out mistakes. I trained for my first contest by finding things that mimicked the events. You have to think outside the gym to find things that will work. I still trained with odd objects at least once per week, but they were not the exact implements.

That being said, if you can find people near you that have implements, go train there as often as you can. Where are you located?

Here are some things that may help your friend for his training...

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    Tire Flip Medley - Conventional Deadlift, Power Cleans.
    Overhead Press Medley - Push Jerk, Cleans, Standing strict press.
    Arm over Arm Truck Pull - Heavy high rep rows, using legs is fine.
    Tractor / Vehicle Deadlift - Squats, Hammer Strength Deadlift Machine.
    Carry and Drag Medley - Practic carrying a sandbag or kegs, drag sled (tire sled can be made for $25 or less).
    Fingal Fingers - These have more to do with body leverages, training deadlifts, front squats, cleans, and pressing from the other event work will carry over to this.
    Car Yoke - Not much you can do in the gym here. Stay away from powerlifting squats. You can try walking out a bar in the gym or doing heavy "supports" (unracking 700+ lbs and standing there) but it is going to be awkward the first couple of times.
    Stones - Stiff leg deadlifts, heavy pec deck, power cleans, front squats.
    Depending on where you are located there is generally a strongman group within a couple of hour drive and it would be worthwhile for him to go out one weekend before the contest to familiarize himself with some of the more tricky events like atlas stones.

As you will see there are some common lifts that I mentioned above...
    - Conventional Deadlifts
    - Front Squats
    - Close Stance Squats
    - Push Press / Push Jerk
    - Strict Overhead Press

I would base most of my routine around the lifts above and also do some GPP work with sled, kettlebell, sandbag, etc.

When he arrives at the contest tell your friend to touch each of the implements before they start. Also have him seek out a veteran competitor there who can help him to know what equipment might be helpful (belt, wraps, etc) and how to set up on the events.

As Ben mentioned being brute strong can help you overcome poor technique in some cases, as long as you are strong in the right areas (having a huge bench press or being able to do 25 chin ups won't do much in the strongman arena).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I just noticed that you are in MN, I know of a couple guys who are up there - send me a PM if you are interested and I will forward you their info.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com