Thread: Back pain that is fine after warming up

Banned

Back pain that is fine after warming up

Has anyone had back pain in which it hurt to bend down all day (not shooting pain but localized to one location), but when you warmed up and stretched your workout was not affected? I believe I strained a muscle a month or two ago doing deadlifts and have had on and off pain ever since, but when I warm up I feel great. I had severe back problems 7 years ago in highschool from growing too fast. I had a stress fracture and two disc herniations, however this pain is completely different. Both those pains shot down my leg and were so severe I could not walk.

I already made an appointment with my Doctor but I just want to see if anyone experienced this before.

Yes. You need to take it easy for a while. Just because you CAN train doesn't mean you should.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Agreed...I have cut out squats and deads for the last week. Probably will take off this week too and just do walking DB lunges.

Mchicia - that sounds like a good idea, movements like squats and deadlifts can put a lot of pressure on the low back.

Definitely hold off on any compound core training until after you have seen the doctor. You don't want to worsen any conditions that may exist.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    Thanks...yes I will do that..

Looks like I am going to become what I dread...a top heavy dude with skinny legs .

I just got my squats up to 325 too.

Don't give up hope, yet. Get the back fixed and rested and then start into it again. One of the main reasons I lift is to keep my body in better shape - my back used to go out badly 5-6 times a year. Now, it's only once or twice and usually is good within a week or so.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    Thanks for the responses...

I have been going to the gym every day to do the bike and stretch as well as some upper body. My back is noticably better after about 8 days of this (my last squat day was last monday and it was horrible).

If I feel no pain next monday I will do a couple sets of 185 squats and some light deads. If no pain after that, time to pile back on the weight .

How much progress do you generally lose if you take off 2 weeks? For instance, 1.5 months ago I was at about 225 for my 3x5 squat. I got that up to 275 3x5 using rippetoes. I am hoping I can at least do 255 my first real day back.

Sometimes back pain can come from tight hamstrings.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Banned
    Yep...I know that because when I had my fractured back and my disc herniations, the rehab was to strengthen my core and to stretch the **** out of my hamstrings/hips/quads. I have been stretching the hammies 3 times a day and its a ton better.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Yep...I know that because when I had my fractured back and my disc herniations, the rehab was to strengthen my core and to stretch the **** out of my hamstrings/hips/quads. I have been stretching the hammies 3 times a day and its a ton better.
    It's amazing the knowledge we pick up over the years. I wish I knew a fraction of what I know now when I was getting started.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo