Thread: Newbie Squatting Question

Wannabebig New Member

Newbie Squatting Question

Alright I've been reading this forum for a while, and quietly making headway with the Starting Strength routine, on which I've so far seen some great gains. However I seem to be gaining unevenly.

My current problem is this: my squats have improved much faster than anything else - to the point where I can squat more than I can clean off the floor! This may sound a silly question, but how do I get that weight onto my shoulders when I can't clean it conventionally?

hold on, you're cleaning into your squats? are you doing front squats, or normal ones? because you said shoulders, im assuming you mean the normal ones.
    cleans, and squats are two seperate exercises. you should load the weight onto the squat rack, and pick it up from there, not the ground...
    look up some videos of squatting, and you'll see how they used the squat rack to load the weight onto their shoulders.
    this is the first i've ever heard of anyone cleaning the weight onto their shoulders for a squat! interesting.

Wannabebig New Member
    Ah I get what you're saying. The problem is my gym doesn't have a squat rack, so that's not really an option and I'm reluctant to use the Smith.

You're right about the type I was using, maybe I have been making things harder for myself but I didn't realise no one did it this way.

i can see your point, if you are new at weightlifting, and your gym doesn't have a squat rack, this could be a problem, and i don't blame you. if you must do this, try front squats, most people usually use less weight in their front squat. seeing how you're cleaning it, this might work. check some vids for front squats to make sure you get the form down.
    and find a new gym, or talk to the owner to see if they can get AT LEAST one damn squat rack in there.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the help. I'm not sure how suitable front squats are as a replacement for normal ones though so I'm gonna try and convince the gym to put a rack in.

At worst I think I might end up having to do my squats elsewhere, aside from that I've never had any problems with that gym.

with your options right now, front squats are good enough until you can find a rack. best of luck!

Front squats are an option. You can do other squat and lunge variations as well until something becomes available. Ultimately though, you're going to need a squat rack...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

What everyone else said. I've been lifting for a few years now, but with dumbbells at home. I've improved, but very slowly. Been cleaning dumbbells to my shoulders to squat.

In October I moved to a new apartment complex with a free gym included that has a squat rack. Let me tell you, I've been wasting my time all along trying to squat with DBs. You definitely NEED a power rack! No one can clean enough weight to their shoulders to provide a good squat workout. At least, not a good 5x5.
    HEY, WHA HAPPENED?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Front squats are an option. You can do other squat and lunge variations as well until something becomes available. Ultimately though, you're going to need a squat rack...
    yes, i forgot about lunges. overhead squats are also an option, although i don't know how many people actually recommend them, i just don't really see or hear anyone doing them.

Im starting SS and was wondering if it is ok to add some exercise after every workout. I mean I do workout A and then some triceps or is it just too much or unnecesary??

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pablonba View Post
    Im starting SS and was wondering if it is ok to add some exercise after every workout. I mean I do workout A and then some triceps or is it just too much or unnecesary??
    It's completely unnecessary. The program was written as it was for a reason, don't mess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dlew View Post
    It's completely unnecessary. The program was written as it was for a reason, don't mess with it.
    Youre right. In fact, maybe its nothing, but today i felt like i was skinnier than yesterday. Should i feel like im growing every morning? I weighted myself yesterday afternoon and was 81.1 kg and weighted myself today in the morning and was 79.9 kg. Thats 1.2 kg less! My weight 4 days ago was 78.9 kg (the day I started SS) Does that means something? Im kinda lost.

Youre right. In fact, maybe its nothing, but today i felt like i was skinnier than yesterday. Should i feel like im growing every morning? I weighted myself yesterday afternoon and was 81.1 kg and weighted myself today in the morning and was 79.9 kg. Thats 1.2 kg less! My weight 4 days ago was 78.9 kg (the day I started SS) Does that means something? Im kinda lost.
    Don't weigh yourself every day...There's too much fluctuation. Weigh yourself weekly at most, under the same conditions every time (same time of day, after using the restroom, etc.)
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Thats 1.2 kg less!
    Dude, my crap weighs that much. Seriously, don't weight yourself everyday. Water intake, food, etc. are all factors. Do what AKMass just said.

Thanks a lot guys.

I'm just a wittle guy
    "Dude, my crap weighs that much"

Thats why i am sure to duece every Sunday before i go to the gym. My measuring day and time... lol. It can seriously be a 2 pound difference.
    Last edited by BrainDed; 03-09-2009 at 03:05 PM.
    (2/1/9)
    1 Month Goal - Hit the gym HARD 4 times a week. No Excuses
    3 Month Goal - Reduced body fat to un-embarrassing levels
    6 Month Goal - Not sure, will decide at 3 months.

(2/1/9)
    5'9"
    175 - Not a good 175
    Embarrassing body fat %. Guessing mid 20's