Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice getting used to bench shirt

He was given good advice from Travis, we can all agree on that. Just because he asked why and said he wanted to hear more opinions doesn't mean people should be disrespectful. Maybe he just wanted to be sure he was doing the right thing so he wanted some discussion as to why it was a good or bad idea and wanted a few more opinions. If everyone agrees with Travis thats fine just say you agree with Travis much like Reko did and then leave it alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mike95763 View Post
    He Just because he asked why and said he wanted to hear more opinions doesn't mean people should be disrespectful.
    Frankly, I think it's disrespectful to ask for advice, get it from some top guys, and then be a smart ass and ignore it. All with one PL meet under your belt.

But what's the internet good for if you can't argue on it?

IMO, BTO you are to close to the meet to get any stronger than you are right now but you can certainly get weeker by overtraining. Trying to overtrain in a shirt will probably hurt your chances of hitting a raw PR. Hitting ME bench in a shirt twice a week is crazy, but I don't see the harm in putting it on for 2-3 sets at the end of your raw ME bench workout. That should be only two more workouts. At the meet, open light raw to get in the meet. Go for a raw PR on your second. Put on the shirt for a third. I doubt you will hit anything spectacular, but it will be a meet PR. Just have fun with it, but don't overtain this close to the meet. Make sure you take the week before the meet completely off.

P.S. You will not learn to use a bench shirt properly in 2-3 workouts. I'm still learning after years.
    Last edited by Ryano; 03-09-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    IMO, BTO you are to close to the meet to get any stronger than you are right now but you can certainly get weeker by overtraining. Trying to overtrain in a shirt will probably hurt your chances of hitting a raw PR. Hitting ME bench in a shirt twice a week is crazy, but I don't see the harm in putting it on for 2-3 sets at the end of your raw ME bench workout. That should be only two more workouts. At the meet, open light raw to get in the meet. Go for a raw PR on your second. Put on the shirt for a third. I doubt you will hit anything spectacular, but it will be a meet PR. Just have fun with it, but don't overtain this close to the meet. Make sure you take the week before the meet completely off.

P.S. You will not learn to use a bench shirt properly in 2-3 workouts. I'm still learning after years.
    Exactly what I was thinking! but, taking in consideration that BTO bench ROM is probably more that most people Squat ROM it might be difficult to learn and get the groove this close to the meet.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Im with everyone else... take the professional's opinion, he gets PAID to do what you are asking about
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Maybe I'm just wrong and that goofy Louie guy has been lying to me all along..
    Man that's some funny sh#* LOL. BTO I think you answered your own question. You say you know how your body responds
    (which you should). Then if you feel it helps you in such a small amount of time, then go for it. But I personally would take Travis ' advice to heart and wait and train properly for the next meet FWIW. There's no rush bro. Good luck in what you decide.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes