The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Westside Barbell Seminar

April 24-25, we'll be holding a seminar at Westside as well as lectures at the Courtyard Marriot. It's going to be a very very good seminar. Lou will be discussing some of the new principles that we have been putting into effect at Westside, Chris Mason will be talking about nutrition, Paul Childress (strength coach from Buffalo University and 308 record holder) will be speaking on application of Westside to his strength athletes and I believe we'll be having a multi national judo coach discussing application of Westside to martial arts as well. Check it out now, if you can make it, it'll be well worth it.

Price I believe is $250. If you want to take the test at the end of the seminar and receive the Westside Certification, it's $140 for the test.

I realize it's expensive, but it is seriously worth it. You will hear TONS of information said over the weekend. If you can't train at Westside, this is seriously the next best thing you can do if you want to learn how Lou really does things. I strongly encourage anyone who wants to, to come.

go to Westside's Website if you'd like to register for the seminar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 03-08-2009 at 04:55 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Man i wish i could go to that. Is this going to be taped?

I'm tempted to fly out just for it. Would love to be there.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    I swear this is KILLING me!!!! I posted it over on AJ Roberts Facebook page. When Louie was out at Team ST I couldn't go because it was daughter's 1st birthday that weekend, and my wife was not thrilled with me flying to California for a few days. Now this comes up, a mere 10 hours drive, and that weekend my wife will be 9 months pregnant, with my son!!! Which is great, but not really the best time to leave town for a couple days. I can't win!! Ah, one of these days I'll get out there.

Hmmm... 6 hour drive says Mapquest.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Thats something I wish I can do! I would love to go to a WBB seminar. It sucks that I cant.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

I went to the seminar Louie did at Super Training. It was awesome. I'd definitely recommend one of his seminars to any athlete or powerlifter. This one sounds even better with more speakers. I was wrong about some of my weaknesses based on where I miss lifts. He corrected that, so now I'm doing better accessory work that'll make my lifts go up faster.

The only bad part was when he told me my squat form was pretty good, and I'm just weak, haha. That was a bit of a relief though. Now I can think less and just squat. That alone has made me more explosive.
    Last edited by MarcusWild; 03-08-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Banned
    If I wasn't laid off from my job 2 weeks ago, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    Is this going to be taped?
    At this time no, but it's something I have considered and am going to talk to Lou about.

He's not real crazy about it. Tapes are good for the lecture part, but terrible for the application part. When you're in the gym, he really puts it together and shows you how to change the principles depending on the specific application. That application changes with each individual lifter, so if you just watch it on a tape, you get a somewhat one dimensional view.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Damn.. I'm competing that weekend and it's a comp I've been training to win for like 8 months.

And $250 is not expensive at all... I would gladly pay that

Awesome

This is something any serious weightlifter, powerlifter does not want to miss.

They have a great line up. The experience and knowledge all of these guys have is invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by MBertrand View Post
    Damn.. I'm competing that weekend and it's a comp I've been training to win for like 8 months.

And $250 is not expensive at all... I would gladly pay that
    It would be worth it just to meet Louie and the rest of the Westside guys if I weren't competing in a meet that weekend, as well!
    Last edited by Guido; 03-09-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

This sucks! LOL! Im already spending money on hotel and tickets to see Lamb of God and some other bands like 2 weeks after this in Albany NY! maybe next time...
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Wannabebig New Member
    Luckily I can make it and will be there. More might be able to attend if one of the days wasn't a Friday, a work day. I'm happy that I could plan well in advance and attend. Louie has been a great friend for years but I've never been to this kind of organized seminar by him before. Hope to see you there. Take care.

What does a "Westside Training Certificate" do for you? I'm not hatin' , just wondering. It's $250 for the seminar, plus $145 for the test. What if you don't pass the test? I assume you don't get the certification, but what good is the certification anyway. There are several certifications a person can get for being a personal trainer/stength coach. Is this one of them?
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Trust me, that test is much harder, and much much more applicative than any personal training certificate.

If you don't pass the test, Lou will go over the stuff with you and you can retake it. He is not the kind of guy to just take a person's money and let them flush it down the toilet Ryano. C'mon, I think Lou has a bit better reputation than that.

Receiving the certification really equips the person to fully understand the Westside principles and allow them to apply them towards many more people than just powerlifters. It opens it up to football, basketball, track and field, wrestling, MMA etc. You don't just learn that stuff comming to the gym for a weekend , or even just being a member. Several of us spend quite a bit of extra time at the gym, watching and learning from Lou training all the pro athletes we've had in the gym. If you're going to come out and get that same knowledge in one weekend, why shouldn't Lou get paid?

You'd be surprised how much you learn with that cert. The interns that we turn out (we have 4 right now) know more than 90% of the people out there who think they have been training Westside for decades.

So, what does it do for you? It makes you smarter. Isn't that the point?

You don't have to pay the $145 for the test. Lou just wanted to offer that as an option for those who wanted to learn and get that extra time for their effort of comming all the way out here. If you don't want it though, don't pay it.

I have 3 different personal training certifications, more for insurance purposes and I can say that if you pass Lou's test, you're smarter than really the majority of the personal trainers out there.

Travis, I'm not puttin' it down or sayin' that Lou shouldn't be paid for sharing his knowledge. I paid to go to an MM seminar and it was well worth the $. I'm sure that new lifters can get years worth of knowledge/experience in two days. But for the average lifter attending the seminar, paying for a Westside certification doesn't help. Is there any universal certification or governing body over personal training certificates that recognize WS certificates? I just don't get the certificate part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    Travis, I'm not puttin' it down or sayin' that Lou shouldn't be paid for sharing his knowledge.
    Nah, I hear you on that part

I'm sure that new lifters can get years worth of knowledge/experience in two days. But for the average lifter attending the seminar, paying for a Westside certification doesn't help.
    I could not disagree more, but I'm not here to sell it to you Ryano. I posted this so that people who would like the opportunity to go to a seminar like this. If you don't like it, I understand and respect that

I already explained the point of the Westside Certification. No there is not a governing body that recognizes certifications. Its up to your boss and even then, most of the time they are more interested in your level of experience than anything else.

I just spent an entire weekend with 60+ visitors at Westside, most of which were elite level powerlifters, division 1 football players and university strength coaches who could not express enough how much they appreciated being at Westside and learned tons from Lou.

I hope you have a good turnout. I'll be in WI trying to hit a PR that weekend.

Thanks Ryano. I hope it turns out nice as well.

Reading back through this thread, I can see the potential for confusion, the seminar and the Westside Certification are TWO separate things. There is some overlap, but one is more general, the other is much much more specific.

It comes down to what YOU want to come away with from the seminar. If a person wasn't really interested in the certification, (I say this honestly) it'd really be a waste of yours and Lou's time. It's certainly not a must.

Now, people who are interested in getting involved in training, this would be a big asset. I believe the normal price for the certification is much more expensive, but it's lowered for this seminar because people are already paying for the seminar and because there will be a little overlap in the material.

But nobody is saying any of this is a must

That's an AMAZING deal! $250 for that is really not even close to what it's worth. I would be all over that if work didn't make that an impossibility. Anybody's who's on the fence on this, don't be - GO.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

You will never meet a person as genuine as Louie. I was close to moving there this past winter until I got really sick. 245.00 is nothing for what you will learn. Everytime I have spoken to Lou on the phone I have hit a pr the next work out, His presence makes you feel stronger. Hope the seminar works out. I would love to come up but Im stuck paying the hospital bills from when I was sick.
    Last edited by dbc3po; 03-09-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Travis, you've already spoken to the difficulty of the test, but how long is the test? I apologize if I am contributing to making the thread more about the test than the seminar.

I'm excited for the seminar! I will have some solid stuff put together for it, trust me.

Louie is an incredible guy and just a great presence. Several of my friends got to meet him this weekend and everyone came away universally impressed with the man.

Trust me when I tell you his seminar is worth its weight in gold. The man knows how to make anyone bigger, faster, and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Travis, you've already spoken to the difficulty of the test, but how long is the test? I apologize if I am contributing to making the thread more about the test than the seminar.
    No, it's great! This is the place to ask questions.

As I said, looking back I guess I could see where Roger was getting his questions from so I hope I cleared them up.

The test itself seems to take the interns around an hour I think?

The point of the test is so that you don't walk away from the training confused on anything. If Lou puts the "Westside" stamp on you so to speak, he wants to make sure you are all clear on everything, so if you take the test, he can go over what you are possibly confused on.