The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Advice on elbow sleeves

I have been having pretty bad tendonitis in my elbows lately when I bench heavy and was thinking of getting some elbow sleeves. I am also competing in a raw competition in ~3 weeks so I was wondering should I wait until after the competition to get the sleeves? What type of sleeves should I get? Will they help at all? I am not worried about lifting more weight, I just want my elbows to stop hurting. Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I was thinking about getting some too, but I was reading how people said that getting sleeves should be a last resort as you can tend to rely on them after a while. I would try icing and re-hab/pre-hab stuff like hammer curls and light band pushdowns to get the blood in the area. Rehband makes the neoprene type ones I believe that will keep the joint warm, while ATP has some more heavy duty wrap material sleeves (they might have the neoprene ones too).
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

I like to use blue heat pre-workout, ice after, ice at night, and I use the APT heavy elbow sleeves for squat work. There are supplements that can help with it as well, I won't name em all, but fish oil is great. This keeps my elbow pain under control pretty well.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    I like to use blue heat pre-workout, ice after, ice at night, and I use the APT heavy elbow sleeves for squat work. There are supplements that can help with it as well, I won't name em all, but fish oil is great. This keeps my elbow pain under control pretty well.
    Fish oil works great. Im just getting over a lengthy term of bad tendinitis in both elbows. They still get sore but are a lot better than before. LonesXedge has it right. Ice and Ibuprofin after workouts and ice at night for 10 minutes. Stay away from any barwork for biceps(if you do any). If it persists from benching, you may have to take time off in order to heal. I had to stop training for about 3 weeks in order to get it under control. Unfortunately it takes time.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

It's funny, I got this question a lot this weekend and oddly enough, just as Brian mentioned, people were doing lots of straight bar curl work. Drop the curls if you do them. I do hammer curls once a week, if that

I'm not a real big fan of elbow sleeves. I'd rather see a person heal up the problem and learn how to not make that injury so severe again instead of covering it up

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    I HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY ELBOWS, AND GOT SOME ELBOW SLEEVES, NOW THEY ARE JUST FINE, I USE THEM TO KEEP MY ELBOWS WARM, AND WHEN I compete I JUST USE THEM FOR MY WARM UP SETs. there is no cross over so i dont depend on them, just a preventive measure to keep them healthy.
    id get them right away, keeping them warm is important,

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I agree that you should try to rehab / prehab the elbow, but also believe that the sleeves do have their place in enabling you to continue to train more safely while you work through the injury.

Some things to help with joint pain:
    - Topical solutions like biofreeze to help warm the area prior to training.
    - Supplements; Fish oil was mentioned here and does seem to work well for most people.
    - Ice
    - Stretching and mobility work
    - Proper warm-up
    - Elbow Sleeves...

I have a fair amount of experience with elbow sleeves as I use them for strongman competitions (where you are generally lifting fairly close to maximal effort weights with minimal warmups).

My reviews:

Rehband -
    Old Style (blue) - These are great, 7 mm thick and very supportive. I do not know of anywhere that you can currently purchase them though.

New Style (grey) - The new style is 5 mm thick and much smaller, have heard of problems with them tearing and they are much more expensive than most other sleeves. Sold individually for the price of a pair of most others - I would not waste your money on these.

APT -
    Heavy Duty - These are good for a light support, medium to heavy lifting. Reasonably priced and they hold up well over time - have been using a pair for over a year now.

Convict - The top elbow sleeve on the market right now. Very heavy duty and thick construction, great for pressing. Just make sure that you size them properly - if you have big arms then I would go up one size as they fit quite snug.

Tommy Kono - I really like the TK knee sleeves and they make an elbow sleeve as well. I believe they are 5 mm neoprene and provide great warmth along with some support. Price is comparable to the APT sleeves and both of them are sold on that site: www.prowriststraps.com

Mueller - These are the ones that you can find at a department store or pharmacy, they are more for casual support and although they do seem to hold up alright I would not recommend them for very heavy lifting.

Hope this helps...
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I agree that you should try to rehab / prehab the elbow, but also believe that the sleeves do have their place in enabling you to continue to train more safely while you work through the injury.

Some things to help with joint pain:
    - Topical solutions like biofreeze to help warm the area prior to training.
    - Supplements; Fish oil was mentioned here and does seem to work well for most people.
    - Ice
    - Stretching and mobility work
    - Proper warm-up
    - Elbow Sleeves...

I have a fair amount of experience with elbow sleeves as I use them for strongman competitions (where you are generally lifting fairly close to maximal effort weights with minimal warmups).

My reviews:

Rehband -
    Old Style (blue) - These are great, 7 mm thick and very supportive. I do not know of anywhere that you can currently purchase them though.

New Style (grey) - The new style is 5 mm thick and much smaller, have heard of problems with them tearing and they are much more expensive than most other sleeves. Sold individually for the price of a pair of most others - I would not waste your money on these.

APT -
    Heavy Duty - These are good for a light support, medium to heavy lifting. Reasonably priced and they hold up well over time - have been using a pair for over a year now.

Convict - The top elbow sleeve on the market right now. Very heavy duty and thick construction, great for pressing. Just make sure that you size them properly - if you have big arms then I would go up one size as they fit quite snug.

Tommy Kono - I really like the TK knee sleeves and they make an elbow sleeve as well. I believe they are 5 mm neoprene and provide great warmth along with some support. Price is comparable to the APT sleeves and both of them are sold on that site: www.prowriststraps.com

Mueller - These are the ones that you can find at a department store or pharmacy, they are more for casual support and although they do seem to hold up alright I would not recommend them for very heavy lifting.

Hope this helps...
    Awesome Review!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will try more of the prehab/rehab stuff for the next few weeks then after my competition, if things are still a problem, I will look for some sleeves. Thanks Tom for the great review, now if/when I get them I will know what to look for. Thanks again everyone.

Good read and review, thanks Tom.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench