The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    BTO, I think APF and AAPF rules are the same, except the drug test. You're right though, if he is lifting RAW, wrist wraps may not be allowed. I'm not sure. I still think anyone should wear them if they're pushin' heavy weight. They don't help you lift the weight, just might keep some bones from snappin'.
    I do know for a fact that in AAPF they are not allowed in the raw division ( neither are knee wraps when squatting ) , so I assume it's the same for APF ( although the APF meet I competed in, there was no raw division.) I wasn't suggesting that that was a reason to not use them in training though, but that may be Mike's reasoning.

So that brings up the question, if you can't compete with them, should you still be training with them?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    So that brings up the question, if you can't compete with them, should you still be training with them?
    I say train as you compete. If they aren't allowed in competition, don't do it in training. Just don't bend your wrist back lifting. That's what causes the problem, wraps or not.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I agree with Roger, why would you not wear wrist wraps?
    I really just haven't gotten around to purchasing them. I figured once I started lifting equipped, or started lifting heavier weights, that I would get some. Since I am going to start training in a shirt after my meet in April I will probably get some then.

What kind of shirt are you planning on getting, single ply or double?
    I was thinking I would go with a single ply Titan Katana or maybe an F6 as that is what most of my training partners use. Another local lifter has several Inzer shirts that he said I could borrow so I will probably try those as well and see how I like them. Thus far I have only tried a Titan F6 that was too big, but I really liked the way it felt.

I would stick with the F6 or even a Fury if you bench more flat backed (I realize you didn't ask though so take this for what it's worth) the Katana is a more advanced shirt, although something to keep in mind as you move down the road.

The best thing about getting your own shirts is they are fit for YOU, not your training partner or someone else.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I would stick with the F6 or even a Fury if you bench more flat backed (I realize you didn't ask though so take this for what it's worth) the Katana is a more advanced shirt, although something to keep in mind as you move down the road.
    Thanks for the advice Travis. If I had to pick now it would be the F6. I am trying to develope an arch, although with my flexibility it seems to be a loosing battle. It is hard not to want to use the Katana though with all the success that my training partners have had using it. Although there is one guy who is fairly new to equipped benching who tried the Katana and could not get the hang of it. After a few weeks he gave up and just got his F6 altered instead. I will probably try the Katana before I make a decision though as my wife doesn't really understand spending money on lifting weights I will only get to buy one shirt and I want to make sure it is the right one (I am really not looking forward to telling her about squat suits or deadlifting suits or knee wraps or wrist wraps or elbow sleeves, etc. etc. etc. This sport is depressingly expensive). Anyone want to sponser me?
    Last edited by mike95763; 03-14-2009 at 09:26 PM.

I had the same problem, this was my solution (may or may not work for yours).What really helped me starting out was I would bring the weight to above where I knew it had to land, so I didnt have to worry about where it was going to hit while I was bringing the weight down and I could just focus on just letting the weight come down straight. In other words before you begin your descent be sure the weight is already directly above the landing area then just control it straight down and your arms should be able to keep straight.
    Excuses or results you cant have both.

Training Journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=120147

Vidshttp://www.youtube.com/user/gonzawr

Quote Originally Posted by mike95763 View Post
    Thanks for the advice Travis. If I had to pick now it would be the F6. I am trying to develope an arch, although with my flexibility it seems to be a loosing battle. It is hard not to want to use the Katana though with all the success that my training partners have had using it. Although there is one guy who is fairly new to equipped benching who tried the Katana and could not get the hang of it. After a few weeks he gave up and just got his F6 altered instead. I will probably try the Katana before I make a decision though as my wife doesn't really understand spending money on lifting weights I will only get to buy one shirt and I want to make sure it is the right one (I am really not looking forward to telling her about squat suits or deadlifting suits or knee wraps or wrist wraps or elbow sleeves, etc. etc. etc. This sport is depressingly expensive). Anyone want to sponser me?
    If you have an opportunity to try a Katana that fits you for free, it's worth a shot, but if you have problems with your form raw, going to a advanced shirt would only be worse. Your form has to be spot on for a shirt to work correctly.

This sport is about taking steps. One step at a time. Too many people try and skip steps because they want to be a superstar today. That is when it gets expensive. You spend your money on a shirt or suit that is over your head and it'll bite you in the butt. Then you have to buy another one that fits right.

I've worked with a ton of people who get in a huge rush to make things happen NOW. They usually get frustrated and quit

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

If you have an opportunity to try a Katana that fits you for free, it's worth a shot, but if you have problems with your form raw, going to a advanced shirt would only be worse. Your form has to be spot on for a shirt to work correctly.
    One of my workout partners has a katana that is probably about 1 size too big (probably the size I would order since I want to be able to grow into it a bit) so it should be a good size to try out. I am really excited to try out some shirts next month once my raw meet is done. I really need to work on my lockout. I know for starters I probably wont get much out of whatever shirt I get just because I am not strong enough at the top of the lift. If I can't lock out 500 no shirt in the world will help me press it short of one with hydrolics built in.