The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Bad news for me today.

Just found out that i have degenerative disease and a disc bulge at L5/S1.Doc told me to never squat again.Talk about a horrible day.Only thing i can think of is maybe i can buy a leg press.Any ideas of other things i could do to replace the all mighty squat?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I have had the same degenerative disc condition for over 8 years, and I have 2 herniated discs(one in the same spot as yours). I have not stopped squatting, I do take more precautions now. I use a belt. I will admit that I anticipate injury which hinders my lift, but I still lift.

If your back is hurting during the lift, try front squats. I don't feel any pressure on my back whilst doing those.

good luck.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Man that sucks. I hope you figure something out

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Day View Post
    Just found out that i have degenerative disease and a disc bulge at L5/S1.Doc told me to never squat again.Talk about a horrible day.Only thing i can think of is maybe i can buy a leg press.Any ideas of other things i could do to replace the all mighty squat?
    From what I understand leg press are even harder on your back than squats. Your are puting on the weight of a leg press when your back is at an angle.

I messed mine up on leg press, so do not look at that as a solution. What about that thing from Frank Zane?

http://www.frankzane.com/Frank%20Zan...%20Blaster.pdf
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bran Man View Post
    From what I understand leg press are even harder on your back than squats. Your are puting on the weight of a leg press when your back is at an angle.
    This.

I was told I had degenerative disk "disease" and an L5/S1 herniation, that was a year ago. My squat has gone up about 100lbs since then and my deadlift about 200, so this is definitely not as horrible as it may seem.

Find yourself a decent chiropractor, one that deals with athletes specifically, and start yourself on a rehab program. With regular adjustments and strengthening exercises, my back rarely bothers me anymore. Another thing that saved me was the Reverse Hyper. Google it and see if you can get access to one, I seriously attribute my back health to this thing. Here's a little article about it if you're interested.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/reversehyper.htm
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Thanks for all the help.He told me with the disease i should never put any big amount of weight pressure vertically on my spine.Thats why i figured the leg press would be ok,never thought about the curve of the lower back.I will try frnt squats.I've always loved doing those.I will also look more into the leg blaster and Reverse Hyper.Thanks again for your help.