The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    ..Do you have a journal?
    Not yet, not online anyway. I have been taking photos every couple of months this year though. I'm gonna log one in the new year I think and put some of the pics on to show the progress. Down 6lbs this month which is great, but the real work starts in Jan.

Yeah it's difficult treading the line isn't it when cutting. The trick is to have the calories just right so you can train with intensity and lose fat, but not effect you so badly that you feel **** and even worse, lose muscle. Usually for a 7 day period I have 5 days in deficit , e.g. mon-fri, 1 day with extra calories, saturday and one day neutral sunday. Works well for me.

Yeah ive also got a date on sunday so i know what you mean, just eat what you want without making a fuss but dont order ****e loads of extras like sides. Enjoy the evening but don't go mental.

Exactly.

I just plugged in what I am gonna have (know the menu off by heart anyway lol) - gonna have 2 chicken wings to start, then 1/4 duck & steamed rice.

Even though the macros are a little off, it's still very close due to the planning before going out to eat - http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=Cloughie
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

and start that journal TODAY!

it's awesome to know people are watching and spurring you on and it's interesting to read other peoples too!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

I will do it Sunday. Today is training then drinking.

Friday 27th November

The day hasn't finished yet, but I can't be bothered to update things tomorrow, so I'm doing it today.. And.. well.. it's my journal so I'll do what I want lol.

Diet today was a little different because I am eating out this evening.. So I anticpated what I would be eating and built my day around it so that my I hit my total and my macros weren't too off AND I could go out tonight, relax and feel good about it. Essentially I ate less earlier in the day so I could have more in the evening.

My diet today looked like this:

• Meal 1 (breakfast) - 100g Greek Yoghurt
    • Meal 2 (lunch) - chicken stiry fry - 125g chicken, 2 cups veg & 150g noodles with a little stir fry sauce
    • Meal 3 - (pre workout) - 3 weetabix, 100ml semi skimmed milk and 2 x nitrean
    • Just before/during workout - Super secret NO supplement
    • Postworkout - 1 x Opticen
    • Meal 4 - Eating Out - 2 chicken wings for starters, Beef/Vegetables in Black bean sauce with steamed rice.

And that's it.. Worked out as:

• Calories - 2,539
    • Fat - 87.3g (31%)
    • Carbohydrate - 227.0g (36%)
    • Protein - 203.9g (33%)

As for training, it was my 4th weights session of the week and 2nd upper body session. I was feeling beaten up but still got in and smashed it as hard as I could.

Session went like this:

Super set #1 - Supinated Grip Lat Pull Downs to chest and Flat Barbell Bench Press

Pull Down - 1 x 12 @ 63, Bench Press - 1 x 12 @ 67.5KG
    Pull Down - 1 x 12 @ 70, Bench Press - 1 x 10 (+2) @ 67.5KG
    Pull Down - 1 x 10 @ 70, Bench Press - 1 x 8 @ 65KG
    Pull Down - 1 x 12 @ 63, Bench Press - 1 x 8 (+2) @ 60KG

* not sure if the weights for Pull down are KG/LB, but will check next time. The key thing is the progression though. It has a light and heavy setting too, I had it on heavy.

Super set #2 - Seated Low Pulley Row and Dumbell Push Press

Seated Row - 1 x 12 @ 95, Push Press - 1 x 8 @ 26KG DB
    Seated Row - 1 x 12 @ 95, Push Press - 1 x 10 @ 24KG DB
    Seated Row - 1 x 12 @ 95, Push Press - 1 x 8 (+4) @ 24KG DB

* same deal about weight numbers with seated row.

Super set #3 - Tricep Push Down and EZ Bar Bicep Curl

Push Down - 1 x 12 @ 70, EZ Curls - 1 x 10 (+2) @ 30KG
    Push Down - 1 x 12 @ 70, EZ Curls - 1 x 8 (+4) @ 27.5KG
    Push Down - 1 x 12 @ 70, EZ Curls - 1 x 8 (+2) @ 27.5KG

That's it!

Take home for next week is I gotta get my head right for these workouts. Sometimes I pussy out and don;t get those last 3-4 reps. Push press is a good example. I could have gotten 12 on all but kinda just stpped at 8 cause it was hard. Next week will be different, i will really push myself.

Not much happened over the weekend so quite update. No training, just took it easy.

Diet was SPOT ON on Saturday and also planned to be the same today. I am going to get in the habit of summarizing the weeks numbers so I can look back on the week and see what I achieved.

** (fat/carbs/protein)

• Mon - 2442 - 76/237/190 (training - weights)
    • Tues - 2498 - 67/230/227 (training - weights)
    • Weds - 2438 - 75.5/178/209.5 (off - mobility and swim)
    • Thurs - 2738 - 75/244/190 (training - weights)
    • Fri - 2539 - 87.5/227/204 (training - weights)
    • Sat - 2225 - 95/203.5/145.5 (off)
    • Sun - 2121 - 60/196/200 (off)

Averages for the week - 2335 - 76.5 (29.5%), 216 (37%), 195 (33.4%)

Thats AWESOME. I have honestly not felt much better about anything in my life. We're talking pretty much 100% (bar the 2700 slip up) on diet - totals, macros and nutrient timing guidelines.

A total SMASH. This has given me true belief that I can get lean if I keep this up.

Next week I should be adding in a bit of cardio too.

Whoop, whoop.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 11-29-2009 at 03:50 AM.

Nice job on the diet and yay for the addition of some cardio next week!

Don't forget before and after photos... haven't seen any yet? Are there any? *hint hint*
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Lean Mean Machine in progress!
    Go hard or go home!

GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

I'm with Alli, get the photos up ya girl :P.

Onwards ever onwards Cloughie, persistence is the key.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Yeah photos are good to see progress. What do you reckon your phenotype is Dan ?

Gonna have to change your username to SixPackDan soon!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

hmmmm, let me get the six pack first

As for pics.... not yet... soon...

Monday 30th November - Training Day

Numbers for today..

Calories 2,473
    Fat 80.5 (30%)
    Carbohydrate 244.0 (40%)
    Protein 181.1 (30%)

Wow, look at those macros.. lol that's exactly how it came out of Fitday!!!

This is all easy peasy, lemon squeezy now.

Training today was lower body and I went at it pretty hard. Better than last week but I still think I could have gone another 20% further and also DEF need to be timing my rest breaks and sticking to 2 mins. Otherwise I tend to take twice as long.

Anyway, still a good workout and numbers up from last week.

Mobility (20 mins) (felt great)

Elevated Split Squats - 3 x 12 and 1 x 12 (right leg) and 1 x 8+4 on left leg) - all holding 6KG dumbells.

Romanian Deadlift - 1 x 12, 1 x 8, 1 x 6+2 and 1 x 6 @ 90KG. The reason for the fewer reps was purely grip, need to get me some straps for next week without a doubt.

Step ups - 1 x 12 (each leg) with 18KG dumbells and then 2 x 12 (each leg) with 22KG dumbells.

Calve Raises on leg press machine - 1 x 12, 1 x 10+2, 1 x 6+4+2 @ 80KG

Then I hobbled home

Calories 2,473
    Fat 80.5 (30%)
    Carbohydrate 244.0 (40%)
    Protein 181.1 (30%)

......20% further and also DEF need to be timing my rest breaks and sticking to 2 mins. Otherwise I tend to take twice as long.....
    Nice numbers. Mine are very similar but I've got a little more protein and a little less fat/carbs.

I defo appreciate that about rest breaks. Sometimes if you start taking too long you just lose the intensity and don't get the same out of the workout.

Nice on on the Romainians. They rock!

Quote Originally Posted by The Gasman UK View Post
    Nice numbers. Mine are very similar but I've got a little more protein and a little less fat/carbs.

I defo appreciate that about rest breaks. Sometimes if you start taking too long you just lose the intensity and don't get the same out of the workout.

Nice on on the Romainians. They rock!
    Yeah I noticed our numbers are pretty simular!

lol, I ordered some stopwatch from amazon the other day to time them.. Picked one which looked simple and small and when it came it was massive lol. Just gonna chuck it, there is no way I can walk around the gym with it without getting a hiding!

Yeah, felt strong on the romanians. Coulda banged out 4 x 12 @ 90KG had it not been for the grip!

Tuesday 1st December

Pretty quiet day on Tuesday. I was supposed to train but I unexpectedly had a tennis lesson in the morning, so I decided to put off workout out upper body and relax the rest of the day and just shift everything along a day.

So, just an hours worth of tennis which got me moving and breathing hard.

I'm looking to book a 2 night trip next week or the week after. Basically a really nice barn about an hour and a half drive away in the country side. It's really pimping and I want to use the time to plan out some goals for 2010 so I can relax over Christmas knowing I am really clear for what I want to achieve in 2010, both personally and professionally. I'm quite big on planning goals for myself and being focused on certain outcomes so it'll be really nice to be in a different environment for a few days to really get some stuff down on paper.

I am hoping next year will be a defining year for WBB and ALN. This year has been a pretty good one for ALN. We have grown a little and also improved our profitibility which is not bad given the rocky financial times.

However next year we'll really be gunning for serious revenue growth. We have several new products we intend to release and also several plans to expand into new markets/increase our exposure, so watch this space.

And, with ALN growing, so will WBB. We're already ramping up the content and in January we'll be moving to weekly article updates/newsletters and we have some great writers working on stuff at the moment, so things are looking bright on both the WBB and ALN front and I cannot wait to get stuck into 2010 and make it a killer year.

Ok, and I digressed a little

Diet for Tuesday was super, duper as usual.

Calories 2,272
    Fat 67.0 (27%)
    Carbohydrate 200.3 (36%)
    Protein 172.6 (31%)

Full foods here - http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Month=11&Day=1

Only bad thing was I had a glass of champagne with dinner (had my mum round and had some left from my birthday) Overall though, pretty good for an off day seeing as I am aiming between 2200 and 2500, on the lower side preferably.

I need to fit in 2 x cardios this week too. I guess the tennis counted for one but I will try and fit in 2 x 25-30 min too.

Also just to give you an example of my actual meals, here is todays (Weds) eating plan which pretty much nails totals, macros and nutrient timing guidelines.

• Meal 1 - 55g Oats and 200ml milk
    • Meal 2 - 1/2 Novus Protein Bar, 30g cashew nuts, 4 x fish oil
    • Meal 3 - Chicken Stir Fry (veg and noodles)
    • Meal 4 - 3 weetabix, 200ml milk and 1 x nitrean
    • Pre Workout - super, secret pre workout supplement
    • Post Workout - Opticen + 1 banana
    • Meal 5 - 1/2 baked potato, 1 can of tuna, 2 tablespoons of real mayo

Hi Dan,

In terms of grip, I had similar problems until I started doing regular and intense forearm and grip training. I added barbell wrist curls at the end of my workouts 3 times a week, 4 sets of 20-25 reps with the heaviest weight you can do. Also I bought a captain of Crush level 1 gripper (140lb) and do 3 sets of 10 off each hand with holds 3 times a week. Has really helped with grip strength and the big lifts!

What is this super secret workout formula then? And where in the UK can we get AtLargeNutrtion products? I can't find them here.

Hi Dan,

In terms of grip, I had similar problems until I started doing regular and intense forearm and grip training. I added barbell wrist curls at the end of my workouts 3 times a week, 4 sets of 20-25 reps with the heaviest weight you can do. Also I bought a captain of Crush level 1 gripper (140lb) and do 3 sets of 10 off each hand with holds 3 times a week. Has really helped with grip strength and the big lifts!

What is this super secret workout formula then? And where in the UK can we get AtLargeNutrtion products? I can't find them here.
    Interesting I might try some of the grip stuff. Although, with smashing the weights 4 times a week, 2 x 30 min cardios, 3 30 min mobility workouts AND eating spot on, **** I am not sure I could take on any more focuses lol. I'll keep it in mind though.

The secret workout formula is a new pre-workout product we are testing. We have had the formula made up and Chris, myself and several of our athletes are trying it. Not going to give anything away yet... watch this space

As for ALN products, they are not available in the UK yet. We do ship to the UK, but shipping charges are pretty high. But then when you consider the quality of the products here and the price of them, personally I think it works out about the same or a bit cheaper for a better quality product.

Wednesday 2nd December

Wow, wow, wow. I am going to start with training today because I don't think I have ever worked so hard in my godamn life. The intensity was so high and I was dizzy/felt sick several times through the workout!

Bit of a mixed bag on the progression. Some stronger, some weaker, but overall the difference from last week was marginal. But, the one thing I know is I couldn't have given it anymore and I really must have smashed my body! I am starting to realise though that this is what it will take to build a better physique. I'm not going to get anywhere putting in half ass effort and resting for ages in-between sets.

Here we go.. (this is from memory, so a bit patchy at points but my trainer keeps all of the records from a progression standpoint for this session)

Pull ups & band assisted push ups supersets

super set #1 - pull ups x 12 @ green band, push ups x 12 @ red band
    super set #2 - pull ups x 12 @ green band, push ups x 12 @ red band
    super set #3 - pull ups x 8+4 @ green band, push ups x 10+2 @ red band
    super set #4 - pull ups x 10+2 @ next band up?, push ups x 9+1 @ red band

One arm dumbell row & dips supersets

super set #1 - rows x 12 @ 30KG DB, dips x 10 @ BW
    super set #2 - rows x 8+4 @ 27.5KG DB, dips x 12 @ ?band
    super set #3 - rows x 12 @ 25 KG DB, dips x 10 @ less resistance band?

DB french press & incline seated db curl supersets

super set #1 - DB french press x 12 @ 10KG(?) DB's, db curls x 12 @ 10KG DBs
    super set #2 - DB french press x 12 @ 7.5KG(?) DB's, db curls x 12 @ 10KG DBs
    super set #3 - DB french press x 12 @ 7.5KG(?) DB's, db curls x 12 @ 10KG DBs

Rest between super sets was 90 secs.

urgh, I really felt like throwing up after this!

Diet 100% as per usual.

Calories 2,523
    Fat 73.9 (27%)
    Carbs 255.1 (41%)
    Protein 196.8 (32%)

Nothing interesting going on with the weight - still hanging around 190.

Lower body & squats today for sets of 12... fun, fun, fun

One arm dumbell row & dips supersets - Mmm not done that SS before. Nice combo.

Yes yes you know you've had a good workout when you want to throw up lol! Keep up the good work.
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

One arm dumbell row & dips supersets - Mmm not done that SS before. Nice combo.

Yes yes you know you've had a good workout when you want to throw up lol! Keep up the good work.
    Hardest set of the workout although pulls ups and bannded press ups were a close second!

Weds 3rd December

General

Good day at the office yesterday... I had a really good chat with our designer/developer about completely redesigning the AtLarge website and also moving it onto a different platform. Everything feels a go'er so I will be working on the project from next week. Pretty huge project which is gonna take a lot of my time for the next 3-4 months, but it will be well worth it when it re-launches.

Also, we will be launching a new WBB Training Program in early April 2010. The reason why it is quite far off is because we are REALLY going to town with this one. It'll be on a big scale and we'll be offering 10-15 people the change to train on it for 8 weeks with close trainning and nutrition support from experts before we launch. It's very detailed and the concept is awesome. Watch this space.

Training

Lower body workout went well and I definately got my head around the squats this time and avoided being a pussy lol. The way we warmed up was good too. I did one rep on a weight higher than my working set and it made my working set feel light as hell.

I also did a REALLY thorough warm up to ensure I was feeling good for squats. Really helps.

Went a little like this.

Box Squats

Mobility/warm up (45 mins)
    1 x 6 @ 60KG (warm up)
    1 x 3 @ 80KG(warm up)
    1 x 1 @ (warm up)
    4 x 12 @ 80KG

Elevated split squats

4 x 12 (all done with a 10KG barbell)

The 4 x 12 wasn't done withouta few breaks here and there due to cramping etc but I nailed all reps no matter how long it took me!

Glute Ham Raises

3 x 12 @ BW

Hamstring Curls with Swiss Ball

3 x 12

Gonna swap hamstring curls for nordics from next week.

Diet

Diet was great too. Macros were a little off but totals and nutrient timing spot on.

Calories 2,449
    Fat 86.2g (32%)
    Carbohydrate 227.7g (37%)
    Protein 188.7g (32%)
    Last edited by Joe Black; 12-04-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Weds 3rd December

..... we'll be offering 10-15 people the change to train on it for 8 weeks with close trainning and nutrition support from experts before we launch. It's very detailed and the concept is awesome. Watch this space....

Glute Ham Raises
    3 x 12 @ BW

Gonna swap hamstring curls for nordics from next week...
    Oooh that sounds very exciting!! I'd be very interested..

What are glute hamstring raises and Nordics? I'm not as experienced at powerlifting movements as I am bodybuilding!

Good job on the workout and keeping the cals where they need to be, im on the beer tonight but ive factored in i can have 4 pints, which isn't much for me, but thats how its gotta be!
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Glute Ham Raises and Nordics are essentially the same exercise really - both are hamstring/glute strength building exercises.

Couple of random videos I found.

Nordics as I would do them - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44DAxF6bneY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM4fcVP4hHo

hah, I used to party big time every weekend, but I;ve really cut it out recently. Had a couple of glasses of wine in 14 days and haven;t been on a sesh for about 6 months!!!

Friday 4th December

Was a kind off off day today. off the weight training, but got in the gym for some mobility/cardio.

I am actually finding mobility workouts less boring because I am actually seeing results. I spent about half an hour doing 8-10 mobility exercises and felt really good for it.

Then I did 25min of LISS - 25 mins in total..

- 8 mins at 6KMH/5.5 incline
    - 17 mins at 6.5KMH/6.5 incline

Diet was spot on too. That's the 11th day I have hit 100% consistency on my totals, macros and timings. Crazy, but feel awesome for it. Feel like eating a LOT of cake, but I won't

Numbers were.....

Calories 2,290
    Fat 75g (31%)
    Carbohydrate 172.3g (31%)
    Protein 200.7g (38%)

Man I am hungry, so I am just gonna go to bed now lol

Photos Cloughie, Photos.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.