Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloughies journal – just one goal - 10% bodyfat.

Hey all,

I know I have been a bit quiet, that’s because things have been a bit quiet on the training and diet front in general.

Last week, the sickness bug I caught really hit me for 6… I felt weak with hardly any appetite all the way through to the weekend and now I seem to have a damn cold. Appetite is coming back now though.

Anyway, enough bitching. I got into the gym both Weds and Thursday and had two really good sessions, despite feeling a bit off. The tier training program I am using works in four week blocks so we went back to week one again this week and I am pleased that compared to the week 1 from the previous block, all lifts are up. Numbers below:

Rest times between sets are all 90 sec for each exercise and about 3-4 mins between moving onto a new exercise. (5 mins if I can manage to stretch it out strategically with some random talk to the PT.. He soon catches on I am looking for more rest lol.)

Weds April 1st

• Romanian Deadlift – 5 x 6 (90K for the first set, stripping off 2.5k each set leaving 80K for the last set)
    • Front Squat – 4 x 15 (70K, 60K, 57.5K, 55K)
    • Single arm dumbbell row – 3 x 15 each arm (20K, 17.5K, 15K dumbbells)
    • Dumbbell Step up – 2 x 6 (15K dumbbells)
    • Single leg squats on a box – 1 x 15 (bodyweight)

Thurs April 2nd

• Back Squat – 5 x 15 (75K for the first set, stripping off 2.5k each set leaving 65K for the last set)
    • Chin ups – 4 x 15 – supported by a blue and green band (the last 2 sets I needed a bit of help getting to 10+ reps)
    • Dumbbell squat and push press – 3 x 6 (22.5K, 20K, 17.5K dumbbells)
    • Single leg squats on a box – 2 x 15 (bodyweight)
    • Dip – 1 x 15 – supported by two red bands

I’m really pleased with hammering out the 5 sets on back squat, it was an absolutely killer and the last 5 reps on sets 3,4 and 5 were like oldskool 20 rep squats but I grinded it out with pretty good form. It had me blowing hard though!!!

Still loving this routine, it’s exactly what I need. It’s getting me stronger, building endurance and will definitely get me lean and fitter overall.
    Diet wise, Weds and Thursday was very good. Not exactly as planned but on the whole clean with enough food.

Breakfast is either oats or scrambled egg. 11am has been fruit with a protein shake and some cashew nuts. Lunch for both days was salmon, rice and kale. Fruit and a shake mid afternoon and a normal meal in the evening that I don’t sweat about too much. It’s generally pretty clean though.

I am going to get a bit more detailed about diet and report it back here weekly but for now I am just eating regularly, making sure it’s clean and not sweating the evening meal too much. Trust me, that’s about 1000 times better than it ever has been! I go on vacation next week for four nights, but after that I may get a bit more detailed about recording and posting it here.

I’ll update on Saturday with tonight’s workout and then won’t update again for about 7-8 days as I am off to a place called Kempley for a nice relaxing break and to celebrate the move from working for someone else to going it alone (well, with Chris!)

Good news for you is that you’ll see more of me on the forum as a result
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Ok, I am back and on it now.

The break was awesome. Sooo relaxing.. Read, biked, made a bonfire and a bbq, went bowling, cooked some great meals and I feel totally refreshed

Yesterday was my first day back in the gym and I won't lie, it felt hard, hard, hard.

Here we go:

Tues April 15th

• Romanian Deadlift – 5 x 6 (90K for the first set, stripping off 2.5k each set leaving 80K for the last set)
    • Front Squat – 4 x 15 (70K, 60K, 57.5K, 55K)
    • Single arm dumbbell row – 3 x 15 each arm (20K, 17.5K, 15K dumbbells)
    • Dumbbell Step up – 2 x 6 (15K dumbbells)
    • Single leg squats on a box – 1 x 15 (bodyweight)

It's exactly the same as my last workout day like this as we are starting back on day one of the four week cycle.

The olnly thing that pissed me off was that front squats felt HARD. Like REALLY hard. I was blowing by reps 7 or so and it felt so hard to get through them but I am really happy that I didn't pussy out and hit 15 reps on each set. Stopping at 10 reps went through my mind on EVERY set!!

As for diet, man I was so happy with yesterday. 5 good, well balanced meals.. no rubbish. I'll update my diet every week as I am now keeping a simple log of what I eat so I can look back over the week and see how I did.

So, overall a good first day back. Today is rest day but I may get out and do something, not sure what yet!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Yesterdays workout was really good. Really tough, but really good.

Thurs April 2nd

Back Squat – 5 x 15 (75K for the first set, stripping off 2.5k each set leaving 65K for the last set)

Chin ups – 4 x 15 – supported by a blue and green band for the first 2 sets, but then we switched to a blue and red band as it was too much tension/support it was hard to keep form. I managed to get 10 or so with help on the extra 5 on the 3rd set and about 7 myself and 3 forced on the 4th set to make 10 reps in total on the 4th set.

Dumbbell squat and push press – 3 x 6 (22.5K, 20K, 17.5K dumbbells)

We switched out Single leg squats on a box and decided to do a bit of mobility work instead. Squatting with just the bar, going really deep, holding for 6, dipping and then exploding up. 2 sets of 6 reps. Hard, hard, hard.. Particularly after back squats and squat and push press.

Dip – 1 x 15 – supported by two red bands

Diet has been sooooooooooooooooo good this week and it proves I really can do it if I stay focused and just recognise when I feel like switching off and then just eat something instead

I'll post my food log over the weekend!

Got a session tonight and then a 4 mile run over the weekend!

Yesterday was also a pretty good day.

Training to start with... Fridays session tends to be an easier one due to the exercise selection and it's probably good too because Tuesday and Thursday sessions kill me...

Because it was my first week back after my break I was feeling tired, my knees were aching and I was sore from head to toe, but this should ease it's self out over the next week or so as I get into the swing of things.

Fridays session went like this:

• Flat Barbell Bench Press – 5 x 15 45k, 45k, 45k, 40k, 35k
      I can't believe I am benching under 100lbs lol, but with such short rests in between sets, this was killing me!
    • Squat thruster (back squat into military press) 4 x 6 @30K
    • Glute Ham Raise - 3 x 12, 10, 10 (bodyweight)
    • Dumbell Bicep Curl - 3 x 15 (12.5k dumbbells)

I skipped the Turkish Get ups because of my soreness and knees but will definately get back to these next week.

I promised to log my foods which I did from Tuesday. I was really pleased with this weeks effort on the food front. It probably came out about 80% how I wanted it to, but I don't think I have stuck to 80% for four days in a couple of years!

Gut feeling is that I could do with a few more calories and have to get a bit stricter with my timings, but I can work on that each week and get a touch better. Consistency at 70%+ is what I need right now and I can build on that going forward.

Comments on my diet would be really appreciated!

Didn't put timings in here, but they are fairly equally spaced out.

Tuesday

• Oats with milk, multi-vitamin and 1 g vit c
    • Opticen, cashew nuts and cranberries
    • salmon, rice, salad and olive oil
    • opticen (post workout)
    • chicken, salad and pita bread (commonly known as a chicken kebab lol)

Wednesday

• 3 eggs, peppers, mushrooms, oil, multi-vit and 1g vit c
    • Opticen, cashews and 4 x fish caps
    • Chicken, rice, salad and 3 x fish caps
    • Pasta, tuna and mayo

Thursday

• 3 eggs, peppers, mushrooms, oil, multi-vit and 1g vit c
    • Opticen and 4 x fish caps
    • Chicken, rice, salad
    • Opticen (post workout)
    • 2 sausages, potato mash (with a small bit of butter and milk), brussel sprouts and carrots

Friday

• 4 eggs on 3 pieces of toast, milti-vit and 1 g vit c
    • Steak, baked potato and veg with apple pie and fat free frozen yoghurt
    • Some chocolate
    • Pasta with carbonara sauce

I know compared to those eating really clean this may not seem that great, but it's something to build on week after week.

Going to relax over the weekend. Eat what I want, just keep it fairly clean and I will be going for a 4 mile run.

Keep it up danny boy! One thing I have realised recently (through simple trial and error) is that diet plays a very big part in progress. In my personal experience I've never seen better gains then when I have been paying attention to what I eat and making sure I'm putting the right fuel in the engine!
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

I really like your workouts, Daniel. Even if you're not moving tons of weight, I bet you're conditioning is really improving.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I really like your workouts, Daniel. Even if you're not moving tons of weight, I bet you're conditioning is really improving.

It really is.

The other week I went for a run and would normally have to stop after a mile or so and I managed 2 miles non stop and then ran another 2 miles with a couple of short breaks and felt better than I did after one mile a few months back..

Tough working with such small numbers but as I get stronger it will be a little less embarassing and at the moment my conditioning and dropping weight is the most important thing to me so I know it is all the right priority.

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Keep it up danny boy! One thing I have realised recently (through simple trial and error) is that diet plays a very big part in progress. In my personal experience I've never seen better gains then when I have been paying attention to what I eat and making sure I'm putting the right fuel in the engine!
    couldn't agree more!

Hey all,

I just wanted to let you know that I haven't lamed out Well, I have a bit on the journal updating, but will get back on it this week with daily updates.

Last week I hit the gym hard 3 times and did pretty well. Up on virtually all exercises and I also ate very good Monday through Friday.

I will definately get back to updating daily from tomorrow and am going to up the cardio stuff in general as I am just pissed off with not being lean lol.

I guess I forgive you...

Good to hear everything's staying on track mate. I feel you about the not being lean, having to look at yourself in the mirror can be very good motivation sometimes :P.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Yeah, a damn good one!

I skipped the gym Tuesday and shifted the session to Wednesday. Overall the session went well. This week weight goes up and 12 reps shift to 10 reps, still on a 6,5,4,3,2 set schema. The only thing that pissed me off was that my back is now hurting, definately caused by shifting up weight on romanian deadlifts and front squat. I stretched it out last night and will do so a few times today and see how I feel later. I will definately go to the gym, but we might have to change the session tonight if it still hurts - back squat, squat and press aren;t gonna be good for it.

So, last nights session:

Weds April 29th

• Romanian Deadlift – 6 x 6 (92.5K for the first set, stripping off 2.5k each set leaving 80K for the last set)
    • Front Squat – 5 x 10 (70K, 67.5K, 65K, 60K, 60K)
    • Single arm dumbbell row – 4 x 10 each arm (20K, 17.5K, 17.5K, 15K dumbbells)
    • Dumbbell Step up – 3 x 6 (15K dumbbells)
    • Bottom squat position – 2 x 8 (just the bar)

Not sure what to call the last exercise. It;s basically squatting down to the bottom of the position and then he counts 6 and I focus on getting back onto the heals, chest out, etc etc and then after a count of 6 driving up. Basically to get me focused on form and to free my hips up a bit. Staying down there for 6 kills!!!

Diet yesterday was not too bad.... not enough calories or protein but nothing naughty which is a definite improvement. I even resisted chocolate my girlfriend was chomping on late at night. Why does she have to do it next to me!!

• Meal 1 - oats and 3 eggs with a splash of milk. Multi vit, vit c and 2 x fish oil caps
    • Meal 2 - opticen, cashew nuts and 2 x fish oil caps
    • Meal 3 - chicken wrap, coleslaw and a cranberry juice
    • Meal 4 - quiche, potatoes and salad with olive oil

Going to aim to get in at least 5 meals today... I cannot wait for my novus bars to arrive as it;s really gonna help for a 36g protein hit!

Good session man, it's good to see that they're really working on your squat form like that with those pauses in the bottom position. Something like that makes me think that they're really a smart bunch of trainers. Good work on the diet, bummer you didnt get enough Cals but better that then cramming in the junkfood!
    My Journal

Yeah, they are really good guys at this place... It's far from what you get at a normal commercial gym. My Dad even goes there and he just wanted to stay active and they have him deadlifting and squatting now!

Yesterdays session was an odd one. My back was still hurting so we couldn't do the normal session. To give you an idea, it hurt just doing stiff legged deadlifts with JUST the bar.

The first half hour was spent stretching and then someone putting their thumbs and elbows in my back. Ouch, ouch, ouch. This REALLY hurt. Then we did some more stretching and finished off with some light squatting with just the bar to keep me moving.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I really do have to do more stretching and mobility work outside of the gym or I am always going to get injured any time I start to make some half decent progress.

So, from today it's at LEAST 30 mins per day.... foam rolling, stretching, sitting on a hockey ball etc.. I am determined to really improve my mobility outside of my gym sessions.. This is just no good.

Todays session should be ok as it's a fair amount of upper body..

Yesterdays diet was pretty good too!

Meal 1 - oats and 3 eggs with peppers and mushrooms. Multi vit, vit c and 2 x fish oil caps
    Meal 2 - chicken and rice and 2 x fish oil caps
    Meal 3 - melon, cashew nuts and 2 x fish oil
    Meal 4 - chicken and rice and 2 x fish oil caps
    Meal 5 - Jacket potatoe, tuna, mayo and salad

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Good session man, it's good to see that they're really working on your squat form like that with those pauses in the bottom position. Something like that makes me think that they're really a smart bunch of trainers. Good work on the diet, bummer you didnt get enough Cals but better that then cramming in the junkfood!

Yeah, seeing as I am cutting, it's not that much of a problem and as you say, as long as I am keeping it to at least 4 and it;s nice and clean it's all good and about 100 times better than my diet before!

Thanks for the comments

Friday 1st May

Training

Had to take it easy again which really pissed me off, but better than screwing up my back much further.

We did about 30 mins of stretching, foam rolling and then the following which was pretty light still: (bit of a mix from what should have happened the last two sessions, sticking to upper body)

Squats with just the bar - 3 x 12
    Bench press 5 x 10 (50k, 47.5K, 45K, 42.5K, 40K)
    Chins 4 x 10 (green and blue bands) (needed a bit of help on the last couple for the last set)
    Bicep curls - 3 x 10 - 12.5k, 10k and 7.5k dumbells

Diet

Was more relaxed yesterday and I didn't track what I was doing but I am getting into the habit of still eating clean on the releaxed days, but just don;t probably eat enough.

Overall, bit of a ****ty week, but each week I get more motivated to get this **** in order. Next week is gonna be an AWESOME one.

Glad to see you keeping things on track in here.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Yeah, just need to get some momentum behind me so I can get those numbers going up.

I agree about your momentum comment dan, as you start getting more in to the routine and eating clean it just becomes easier and easier to do.
    My Journal

Ok, yesterday was a good day.

My back was still hurting, but it's getting better each day so that is good.

Yesterday was the start of me caring and putting in the effort in regards to mobility. It's definately the reason I keep getting back problems - my hips and hamstrings are so incredibly tight all the time.

My mobility routine for now is the following 3 times a day, roughly 15 mins each session.

Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch - 2 and a half mins each side
    Lying Wall - 2 and a half mins each side
    Sitting on a hockey ball massaging the glutes - - 2 and a half mins each side

I did this yesterday and my back was much better in the gym and when I was stretched out I was much more flexible. Need to really keep this up and I should see the benefits.

Here is how training and diet went:

Training

This week was supposed to be a back off week which was a good job because I am still having to stick to very light weights to be careful of back twinges.

Romanian deadift - 4 x 10 (50k, 60k, 60k, 60k)
    Front Squat - 3 x 10 (40k, 50k, 50k, 50k)
    Bent over Dumbell Row - 2 x 12 (20k dumbells)
    Single leg step up (2 x 6 on each side with 15k dumbells)

The above was pretty easy, but felt about the right loads as to not push it with the back. All very frustrating but the right thing to do overall.

I then went for a light 1 mile run.

Diet

Meal 1 - Oats, multi-vit and 1 g vit c
    Meal 2 - tuna and pasta and mayo
    Meal 3 - tuna and pasta and mayo
    Meal 4 - Fish (cod), potatoes and veggies

Mental note - need to eat more!

Yesterday was an off day but I still go a little bit done

Diet wasn't hugely great yesterdsay - same story really.. nothing bad at all, just didn't eat enough. When I think about it, this is always the worst case scenario now which is much better than eating rubbish So the challenge now is to hit at least 4 meals EVERY Day without fail and shoot for 5-6 a good 2-3 days in the week.

Here was yesterdays eating:

Meal 1 - Oats, multi-vit and 1 g vit c
    Meal 2 - Ommetelle with cheese, peppers and mushrooms
    Meal 3 - Jacket potatoe with beans and cheese

Yep that was it, probably less than 1000 cals. Ahh well, I am cutting I guess

I went for a 2 mile run though... Running with the gf, so had to stop a few times as she is just getting into it but soon I should be running 2-3 miles no stopping as a minimum.

Stretched 3 x 15 mins yesterday also.

Overall, things ticking over ok

Wow, just read my post - I am smilie mad

Good to see you and the girlfriend smacked out a run Dan! I'm amazed at your inability to eat, you must be a busy man haha.
    As you said though it's a good thing you're cutting and at least this has now become the worst case scenario rather then eating rubbish.
    Your comments on stretching inspired me, I'm going to try do a few little sessions throughout the day.
    My Journal

@ Tom - I know.. it's a bad habit. I get wrapped up in stuff and just want to keep going without eating and I have to force myself away to eat... I am slowly breaking it though.

Yesterday was a quality day - my best for a couple of months.

Training

I'm still taking it easy and highly aware of my back and some pain in my glutes, but overall I managed to up the weight and hardly felt any twinges at all.

• Back Squat – 3 x 10 (60K, 70K, 80K) (with two warm up sets of 50K)
    • Chin ups – 3 x 10 – supported by a blue band - I needed some help on the last two sets though. I managed 1 x 10, 1 x 6/4 and 1 x 4/6)
    • Dumbbell squat and push press – 3 x 6 (20K dumbbells)
    • Step up onto box with 7.5k dumbells – 2 x 15

A slightly mixed up session, but not bad overall.

Diet

Her's where it gets good. Awesome day.

Meal 1 - Oats, multi-vit and 1 g vit c and 3 fish oil caps
    Meal 2 - 3 eggs scrambled, pear and banana and 3 fish oil caps
    Meal 3 - chicken, rice and 3 fish oil caps
    Meal 4 - Opticen (post workout)
    Meal 5 - Fish, potatoes and veg

This is getting much better and I felt great for my workout.

I also jumped on the scales this morning and am showing 3lbs lighter from 6 days ago which is good.

All in all.. progress

First training session of the week yesterday and went pretty well considering... The back is holding up and getting better.

Tuesday 12th May

• Romanian deadift - 5 x 6 (80k, 77.5k, 75k, 72.5k, 70k)
    • Front Squat - 4 x 12 (I can't remember what I did here, but will be sure to remember for next time)
    • Bent over Dumbell Row - 3 x 12 (22.5k, 20k and 17.5k dumbells)
    • Single leg step up (2 x 6 on each side with 15k dumbells)

So, still light but I feel things are on the right track to progress now. We're just going to be patient, focus on form and move up as slowly as it takes for my back to keep up. I'm going to get in and see a therapist this morning to get a bit of work done on the back too just to loosen things out a bit.

I have been keeping up my 30-45 mins of mobility/stretching work EVERY day and it is helping out a ton. Front squats felt MUCH more comfortable yesterday and I was able to get lower than I normally would and hold my shape. Gonna DEF keep this up.

Diet was pretty good.. a bit random but nothing bad. didn;t record anything though.

I am going back through precision nutrition this week and am gonna plan a diet which falls under their 10 principles and also uses gourmet nutrition recipes and a few of my own.

The key thing about PN is that it is quite carb restrictive which I think I need. I am just not losing any weight right now and I need to try something diffferent. Basically you get carbs during your workout as part of an energy drink and then in a meal 3 hours after your workout and then all other carbs are from veg and fruit. I think it will really help me to get into this habit.

I go on vacation in a weeks time, so I got a week to plan it all out so i can start on day 1 when I come back!

You know what, **** waiting till I get back from Cyprus to get started. I'm sick and tired of always putting this stuff off, I am going to start tomorrow. Tomorrow marks the first day or a new lifestyle for me.

I have 6 full days (Thursday through to Tuesday) before I go to Cyprus that I can use to prove to myself that I can eat well.

I spent the last hour re-capping on precision nutrition and planning out Thursday and Fridays meals.

For those that don't know how precision nutrition works, they basically give you a template for eating on non workout and workout days. (you're only allowed non fruit and veg carbs during and post workout.) Also, the gourmet nutrition cookbook is full of mains and accompaniments, sorted by anytime and post workout. Good news is I plan to workout at least 4 of the 6 days, so I get to eat some nice carbs

Also, rather than me trying to construct every meal, it's easy to pick some from the gourmet nutrition cookbook. I made a slight change here or there but made sure they still fell in line with the precision nutrition general rules

So, here is my planned eating for Thursday and Friday which I am going to hit 100%!!!! I am literally making a shopping list now and heading off to buy it shortly.

Wish me luck.

Thursday

Breakfast – 7:00am

Green Cuisine Fritata
    Green Tea or hot lemon water
    2 x fish oil capsules

Snack – 10:00am

Novus Protein Bar
    1 cup of veggies (broccoli and carrots)
    3 x fish oil capsules

Lunch – 12:30pm

Stir Fry Beef
    Sauted Spinach with roasted garlic
    Cashew nuts
    2 x fish oil capsules

Snack – 2:30pm

Low fat Yoghurt with berries
    1 serving of Nitrean

During workout – 4:00pm

1 serving of Opticen

Evening meal – 7:00pm

Lemon Salmon
    Vegetable Brown Rice (pepper, courgettes, and sunflower seeds)

FRIDAY

Breakfast – 7:00am

Tomato Salmon Scrambled eggs
    Green Tea or hot lemon water
    2 x fish oil capsules

Snack – 10:00am

Novus Protein Bar
    1 cup of veggies (broccoli and carrots)
    3 x fish oil capsules

Lunch – 12:30pm

Chicken breast
    2 cup of veggies (broccoli and carrots)
    Cashew nuts
    2 x fish oil capsules

Snack – 2:30pm

Low fat Yoghurt with berries
    1 serving of Nitrean

During workout – 4:00pm

1 serving of Opticen

Evening meal – 7:00pm

Sirloin Beef Skewers
    Curry Coconut Chickpeas